How C19 Has Changed The Triple Crown Of Horse Racing

Kathmandu

It will not be business as usual. We already know that the Belmont Stakes has been relegated to a prep race, with points being offered towards Kentucky Derby qualification. So what happens to the third leg of the triple crown? My bets are down that the Breeders Cup adds a 3 year old restricted race at a mile and a quarter to a mile and a half. @Lemondropkid.

Edited by Kathmandu

8 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

It will not be business as usual. We already know that the Belmont Stakes has been relegated to a prep race, with points being offered towards Kentucky Derby qualification. So what happens to the third leg of the triple crown? My bets are down that the Breeders Cup adds a 3 year old restricted race at a mile and a quarter to a mile and a half. @Lemondropkid.

Hi Kathmandu- I'm way, way behind the news here. Had not picked up on the  changes to Triple Crown schedule, in my lockdowned state

I'm am therefore unqualified to comment on developments but in the spirit of the times, I'll dive right in with speculation😀

I like the creativity US racing are showing in re-jigging the schedule but slightly shocked by it- changing the distance of the Belmont🤯 Any change like that would never be allowed in the UK or Ireland to any of the classic races, the breeding industry for one would have a collective heart attack.

So given the innate conservatism in racing I'd bet on Preakness staying as a stand alone event in October, rather than being rolled into the Breeders Cup. Would moving the Preakness away from Pimlico, signal the end for Pimlico??

More of an outside bet but I could definitely see if allowed (either allowed to ship or qualified ) European runners in the Preakness with the timing of October. The big  Europrean mile and a quarter races the Juddmonte International at York in August, and the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown (Dublin) in September.

Dropping an extremely valuable 10 furlong race into October will have Aidan O'Brien and even Monsieur Fabre very interested, particularly the former. Don't think Dermot Weld has the ammunition theses days but I'm all for a second Irish winner of a Triple Crown race 🇮🇪🇮🇪

Hope you are backing all the winners at Fonner Park😀

• Thumbs Up 1

I know absolutely nothing about horse racing in the US but I went once whilst on a golfing holiday to Florida.

The track I went to was I think the one featured at the start of Miami Vice with the flamingo's although I don't remember seeing any so maybe it wasn't . It certainly was a lot different from a wet afternoon at Musselburgh. 🤣

I got to the track very early in my Alamo rental car when the car park was quiet empty. I went to leave before the start of the last race to beat the traffic except there were now a zillion cars parked round the track and I had no idea where I left the rental. I had to wait ages for most to leave before I found it again.

Three days later I called into a bar on my way back from golf to get a cold beer and got roped in by a great bunch of US ex-vets into playing pool ( I was crap) and darts ( got my money back) and drinking large amounts of alcohol. Had to get a taxi back to my hotel but in the morning had no idea of the name of the bar where my rental was parked with my golf clubs in the boot. I had to get another taxi to retrace my route back from the golf course to find the bar and my rental.

I could mention my parking horror story at the Bob Hope Classic at The Belfry but I have digressed enough. 😀

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jambo said:

The track I went to was I think the one featured at the start of Miami Vice with the flamingo's although I don't remember seeing any so maybe it wasn't

The track used for Miami Vice was Hialeah Park.  There are others in Florida,  Gulfstream Parks comes to mind.

• Like 1

One good thing here in Australia is that horse racing has conitinued. There are no crowds and they have set up zones so only the same trainers, jockeys and officials attend meetings in their zone.

It is keeping me semi normal being able to have a bet still.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

One good thing here in Australia is that horce racing has conitinued. There are no crowds and they have set up zones so only the same trainers, jockeys and officials attend meetings in their zone.

It is keeping me semi normal being able to have a bet still.

You Aussies are always practical and pragmatic. How about a hot tip for this weekend? 😃

@Kathmandu just watched an interview with Wesley Ward said his best 2 year old colt Fauci (not going to properly with the Republican horseplayers), will be out June 3rd at Belmont Park.

He has provisionally booked the  horse Doctor onto a June 5th flight to head to Royal Ascot, "if he's as good as I think he is"

Will be very short odds on I'd guess but nice to look forward to the decent horses coming out again- farewell to Will Rogers Downs😁

Edited by Lemondropkid

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, Lemondropkid said:

@Kathmandu just watched an interview with Wesley Ward said his best 2 year old colt Fauci (not going to properly with the Republican horseplayers), will be out June 3rd at Belmont Park.

He has provisionally booked the  horse Doctor onto a June 5th flight to head to Royal Ascot, "if he's as good as I think he is"

Will be very short odds on I'd guess but nice to look forward to the decent horses coming out again- farewell to Will Rogers Downs😁

Pure sign of madness replying to my own posts😀 

Fauci does in fact run at Belmont Park tonight, 14.23 US, 19.23 UK on Sky. 1.8 Favourite in a six runner race, too short me, my paper opposes him with Prisioner. Next stop Royal Ascot if he wins.

3 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

Thanks, Fauci no match for Prisoner. Lost by 4 conclusive lengths. 

Yep the guy who tipped Prisoner in my paper really knows his stuff on the US racing front.  I don't bet odds on ,so was never doing Facui. Will be very interested to see the speed figures for the race, to the eye the winner looked very impressive.

Wesley Ward is normally close to spot on with the ability of his 2 year olds and he had Fauci as his best in the stable, so even though this was only six runner this might prove to be a really informative race.

Fantastic to see racing return to the top venues like Belmont Park. Been once on a day packed with Breeders Cup clues, saw Ghostzapper break the track record. The Long Island railroad wasn't quite so picturesque but happy memories😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Yep the guy who tipped Prisoner in my paper really knows his stuff on the US racing front.  I don't bet odds on ,so was never doing Facui. Will be very interested to see the speed figures for the race, to the eye the winner looked very impressive.

Wesley Ward is normally close to spot on with the ability of his 2 year olds and he had Fauci as his best in the stable, so even though this was only six runner this might prove to be a really informative race.

Fantastic to see racing return to the top venues like Belmont Park. Been once on a day packed with Breeders Cup clues, saw Ghostzapper break the track record. The Long Island railroad wasn't quite so picturesque but happy memories😀

How good is this Pinatubo, Lems?

On 6/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Tough to get a read on 2yr olds this time of year. Safe to say that Fauci won't be at Royal Ascot anytime soon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starshine said:

How good is this Pinatubo, Lems?

Was fantastic last year who know how good he will be this year? It's a huge jump from 2 to a 3 year old  racehorse in terms of physical development. 

Like trying to evaluate a footballer at 18  based on what his matches at 15.At 15 a star player but come 18 he's discovered women, drinking and has not developed psychically. Others in his peer group have got bigger, stronger, faster and mentally more mature.

If Pinatubo hasn't developed from 2 to 3 the Guineas being run in June instead of May won't help either. This  week there have been 3 odds on favourites ( 2 very short) in 3 year old races, well beaten, who were meant to far too good for their opposition.

All of this would make me want to act as a bookmaker and take the money at odds on 5/6.

My heart though would like him to win.

On balance I'll sit back, watch without a bet and enjoy it. Same thing I do ever year 2,000 Guineas is a really informative race for the rest of the season, but unless you work in Pinatubo's stable you don't know how he's really done and even then you are so emotionally invested you can be blind to the likely reality.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:29 AM, Lemondropkid said:

Was fantastic last year who know how good he will be this year? It's a huge jump from 2 to a 3 year old  racehorse in terms of physical development. 

Like trying to evaluate a footballer at 18  based on what his matches at 15.At 15 a star player but come 18 he's discovered women, drinking and has not developed psychically. Others in his peer group have got bigger, stronger, faster and mentally more mature.

If Pinatubo hasn't developed from 2 to 3 the Guineas being run in June instead of May won't help either. This  week there have been 3 odds on favourites ( 2 very short) in 3 year old races, well beaten, who were meant to far too good for their opposition.

All of this would make me want to act as a bookmaker and take the money at odds on 5/6.

My heart though would like him to win.

On balance I'll sit back, watch without a bet and enjoy it. Same thing I do ever year 2,000 Guineas is a really informative race for the rest of the season, but unless you work in Pinatubo's stable you don't know how he's really done and even then you are so emotionally invested you can be blind to the likely reality.

Yep, you nailed it...3rd

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...