quarantine on arrival will kill short holidays

thunder367

I'm going Benidorm this winter for two trips assuming its open to all which by all reports is 99% nailed on. Pattaya was in a death spiral pre Covid lets be honest no good saying well LK Metro is or was busy most nights when 90% swathes of Pattaya bars are empty

This will muller the situation further.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/05/25/new-normal-access-to-thailand-even-after-flights-resume-if-virus-persists/?fbclid=IwAR0HZpM3QSj7Mk4pyvnlpUYIrNlHQdJN201oowFhAO-mQiyuBP6jXsQs2Po

One extract

Screenshot_2020-05-26 New normal for foreigners seeking access to Thailand even after flights resume if virus persists - Th[...].png

Edited by RR007

We have our own permantly rented accom so I wouldnt go and pay again with no say on where I stay and how much. The cost of this insurance at my age of 74 would not be cheap either. 

Hope to be back mid October but not with these restrictions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RR007 said:

I'm not trying to troll here but no one on planet earth will put up with that. The vast majority of tourists are 2 weeks or less in the first place !

In fact, it's worse! That extract you copied relates only to people who are permitted to enter (diplomats etc.). Tourists do not fall into any of the "permitted" categories.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree Baz it's far worse. In Greek mythology when they emptied out Pandora's box the last thing left was Hope..

According to this article its an unattainable medical certificate, Insurance that cannot be bought and despair.

So what's Benidorm like ??? :default_ermm:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RR007 said:

I'm going Benidorm this winter for two trips assuming its open to all which by all reports is 99% nailed on. Pattaya was in a death spiral pre Covid lets be honest no good saying well LK Metro is or was busy most nights when 90% swathes of Pattaya bars are empty

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/05/25/new-normal-access-to-thailand-even-after-flights-resume-if-virus-persists/?fbclid=IwAR0HZpM3QSj7Mk4pyvnlpUYIrNlHQdJN201oowFhAO-mQiyuBP6jXsQs2Po

One extract

Screenshot_2020-05-26 New normal for foreigners seeking access to Thailand even after flights resume if virus persists - Th[...].png

I have copied your post onto the Pattaya/Thailand Re-Opening News, Facts & Links Only thread.  I hope this is OK with you.  Your original post still here ; it is one of the most factual articles I have read.  Many thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

According to this article its an unattainable medical certificate, Insurance that cannot be bought and despair.

It just shows the arrogance of the Thai government. They think that just because they're demanding silly certificates and impossible holiday cover, other countries will jump and change their medical and insurance systems. They can't understand that they're just not that important in the grand scheme of things (even if they are the only country in SE Asia that was never colonised by the evil British and perfidious French, blah, blah, blah, you've heard it all before a million times).

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, RR007 said:

One extract

Meh, I don't think these restrictions will last any more than a few months. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

In fact, it's worse! That extract you copied relates only to people who are permitted to enter (diplomats etc.). Tourists do not fall into any of the "permitted" categories.

Tourists probably do not fall into any of the "permitted" categories because at present they are banned from entering the country.... much the same as a few other countries.

cheers 

Edited by roobob

I just saw an interesting video and commentary from Mr Egg today where he filmed a tour coach arriving in Pattaya and passengers entering a hotel. There were military and police supervising and some in full PPE suits. I presume that they have been put into quarantine. Not sure who they were or where they came from

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I just saw an interesting video and commentary from Mr Egg today where he filmed a tour coach arriving in Pattaya and passengers entering a hotel. There were military and police supervising and some in full PPE suits. I presume that they have been put into quarantine. Not sure who they were or where they came from

I would say that it would be a bus load of Thais returning from another country and going into the 14 day compulsory quarantine.

It has been reported that hotels who meet the criteria for what officials want can nominate their hotel to be used as quarantine quarters. If chosen, the Govt pays them a 1000baht per person per day for the time in quarantine. I am sure there was a recent article on the Bkk Post about this.

cheers 

10 minutes ago, roobob said:

I would say that it would be a bus load of Thais returning from another country and going into the 14 day compulsory quarantine.

It has been reported that hotels who meet the criteria for what officials want can nominate their hotel to be used as quarantine quarters. If chosen, the Govt pays them a 1000baht per person per day for the time in quarantine. I am sure there was a recent article on the Bkk Post about this.

cheers 

That would make sense I guess

1 hour ago, roobob said:

cheers 

Bob

You are on the ground in Thailand.  Is there anything in Thailand that is equivelant to self isolation in own flat/house or condo?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Meh, I don't think these restrictions will last any more than a few months. 

The insurance requirement may remain in some form. 
The "powers that be" have been trying to institute something like this for a few years.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lazarus said:

The insurance requirement may remain in some form. 
The "powers that be" have been trying to institute something like this for a few years.

Nothing wrong with that idea either. It's irresponsible to travel without appropriate insurance. 

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, john luke said:

Bob

You are on the ground in Thailand.  Is there anything in Thailand that is equivelant to self isolation in own flat/house or condo?

Thanks.

Up my my way we had a couple of farangs who returned from work and they had to self isolate in their abode for the 14 days. They were visited by the local headman and BIB and we told what they had to do.... could not leave the premises….. and others had to shop for whatever they needed which was left outside of the door for them. They were checked on daily by the local headman. Also his family was told that they were responsible for their movement also.  What they had to do was also for any local who was returning home from working in Bkk...Pattaya..Phuket...etc. All were policed the same way and was taken seriously.

I know a couple of fellows...one lives in Khon Khan and the other in Udon Thani and it appears that what was happening there also. Since the ban on people flying in...no more farangs have arrived here but it is still the same conditions for anyone coming from inter province..... they have to do the 14 day period. There is talk that could be lifted in the coming weeks but has not been confirmed.

cheers

• Great Info 2

36 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Nothing wrong with that idea either. It's irresponsible to travel without appropriate insurance. 

Maybe...
But in TH you can always pay with cash or a credit card for health needs.
I lived in Thailand for 8 years with no insurance.
Paid cash for a lot of some serious stuff (multiple surgeries) ...& it was still cheaper than if I was paying monthly for insurance in my home country.
Besides, I could not even buy insurance at home due to "existing conditions."

10 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

They can't understand that they're just not that important in the grand scheme of things (even if they are the only country in SE Asia that was never colonised by the evil British and perfidious French, blah, blah, blah, you've heard it all before a million times).

They surrendered at the first sound of gunfire from the British navy and reached an understanding. Not colonised. Ahem

They surrendered to the Japanese and reached an understanding to let them march wherever they wanted. Not colonised of course. Ahem.

My favourite Thai story was after Pearl Harbour 1941. Thai ambassador went to the White House with a declaration of hostilities siding with the Japanese as allies.

After the war they said it had not been signed properly so no war existed no problems no reparations and bad Communists to fight now....... 

Next China as they say in Afghanistan ......

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, john luke said:

Bob

Thanks.

no. its all done very strctly in quarantine centres

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

no. its all done very strctly in quarantine centres

For Thais or foreigners allowed entry into the country returning from overseas or from a neighboring country ...agree Tommy..... but up my way....Thais returning from inter Province.... it is self isolation with them being checked daily by local authorities.

cheers 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, roobob said:

..... but up my way....Thais returning from inter Province.... it is self isolation with them being checked daily by local authorities.

Agree.  There was some blogger last week who travelled (flew) to Chiang Mai and wasn't allowed  to leave the airport until he had someone who could vouch for his accommodation and that he'd remain there.  There's more provinces mentioned here as requiring quarantine "at home" or the magical "medical certificate from their point of origin proving that they are free from Covid-19".

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/quarantine-awaits-passengers-at-5-reopened-airports

Edited by KWA