Its just like the good life..

Lanzalad

As many of you know we are doing up a property here in the UK and working on the Garden and as i clear for the new lawn Puang takes control of the area and plants something we can eat.

This seams to be the norm for this Thai lady and I'm trying to get us a lawn for the coming year so i started to clear a section for her and when i came home she had already planted a few old potatoes.

As we have been cleaning the way we have also filled building sack full of sieved soil which in spring she planted a few old potatoes into each one...

Here's a few shots of todays gatherings 

42390216_889084554636212_3691038982298140672_n.jpg

42314552_2224160397658683_7996266001685544960_n.jpg

42410881_1139213196241083_2844699278436204544_n.jpg

42429506_268020410715876_2283482224059744256_n.jpg

42351610_692570944463113_7570778061415645184_n.jpg

She has not done bad at all from a few old potatoes and a few tomato seeds scooped out of a tomato

8 minutes ago, AJSP said:

Nice work and becoming self sufficent on home grown goods is great 👍 

They are lovely potatoes mate.. .i've no idea on which ones she used.. but I'm sure they are some sort of salad or kind of new potato.

I've never seen so many tomatoes, we got some from Aldi large vine type and again they are lovely... 

That's excellent Phil. Can't say there's anything growing in our garden except weeds.

Although I have collected about 300 takeaway containers on a nightly basis from Her work. 15 stone odd I need to lose weight. Took me back shredded chicken in black pepper sauce. Chips and curry sauce last night. Fat barsteward so I am.  

2 hours ago, farangme said:

That's excellent Phil. Can't say there's anything growing in our garden except weeds.

Although I have collected about 300 takeaway containers on a nightly basis from Her work. 15 stone odd I need to lose weight. Took me back shredded chicken in black pepper sauce. Chips and curry sauce last night. Fat barsteward so I am.  

I'm sure you will get there mate... 

The garden is hard work and takes for ever to get in something like, back breaking at times mate... 

Made a stupid mistake on our garden. 

Had a 4 metre x 3.5 metre conservatory built last year on the back of the house. 

When the machine driver dug the trenches for the footings for the brickwork, I told him to spread soil over a large but lumpy old lawn. Didn’t come back for 2 weeks to plan where new patio and all the garden paths were going to go and suddenly realised, that the vast majority of the soil was subsoil and no good for growing anything! I felt such a twat for forgetting it. Should have hired in a few skips and dumped it!

Wife is into roses in a big way and has managed to plant around the edges of the subsoil and they are fine, but we will have to get in around 10 tons of topsoil and a man with a machine next year and sort it out!

Not really into gardening at my age and veg is cheap enough in the shops now. I know home grown veg is best, chemical free etc.

We do have a big apple tree which this summer has produced a shit load of cooking apples, most of which have gone to the neighbors or are rotting on the ground. Also got a fair bit of rhubarb, so I have made (yes I made them) a few rhubarb and apple crumbles for the freezer. 

My son is into planting seeds and stuff, so we let him plant herbs, different types of lettuce and stuff like that in an area we planned for herbs. Thai Basil that he grew and that came as seeds from Thailand, doesn’t taste the same as that grown in Thailand. Must be the soil or something.

Just have to get a man in with a flame thrower now, to kill off all the sodding weeds that have appeared from that damn subsoil. 🔥🔥🔥

Or I could concrete it over and paint it green. 🤪

I’ve seriously considered compacting it level, putting down a rubber liner and lay down a few rolls of that man made Astro turf stuff. Just leave the untouched areas for a bit of veg etc. Maybe cheaper in the long run and give our son an all weather pitch to play football on.

8 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Made a stupid mistake on our garden. 

Had a 4 metre x 3.5 metre conservatory built last year on the back of the house. 

When the machine driver dug the trenches for the footings for the brickwork, I told him to spread soil over a large but lumpy old lawn. Didn’t come back for 2 weeks to plan where new patio and all the garden paths were going to go and suddenly realised, that the vast majority of the soil was subsoil and no good for growing anything! I felt such a twat for forgetting it. Should have hired in a few skips and dumped it!

Wife is into roses in a big way and has managed to plant around the edges of the subsoil and they are fine, but we will have to get in around 10 tons of topsoil and a man with a machine next year and sort it out!

Not really into gardening at my age and veg is cheap enough in the shops now. I know home grown veg is best, chemical free etc.

We do have a big apple tree which this summer has produced a shit load of cooking apples, most of which have gone to the neighbors or are rotting on the ground. Also got a fair bit of rhubarb, so I have made (yes I made them) a few rhubarb and apple crumbles for the freezer. 

My son is into planting seeds and stuff, so we let him plant herbs, different types of lettuce and stuff like that in an area we planned for herbs. Thai Basil that he grew and that came as seeds from Thailand, doesn’t taste the same as that grown in Thailand. Must be the soil or something.

Just have to get a man in with a flame thrower now, to kill off all the sodding weeds that have appeared from that damn subsoil. 🔥🔥🔥

Or I could concrete it over and paint it green. 🤪

I’ve seriously considered compacting it level, putting down a rubber liner and lay down a few rolls of that man made Astro turf stuff. Just leave the untouched areas for a bit of veg etc. Maybe cheaper in the long run and give our son an all weather pitch to play football on.

Yes @KhunDon I'm more or less thinking the same with the veg...

Not really into gardening my self but we want a lawn at and veg is cheap enough from the supermarket and yes home grown veg is better all chemical free...

I spoke to Puang about this and she has her heart set on feeding the little one veg from the garden and to teach him how its done.

she has also planted a small apple tree and a cherry tree where she wants to let him pick the fruits and learn about it..

Which i think is a really good idea and I feel the need to help out, which i dont mind  as long as i get my workshop... 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...

All our veg and many fruits were home grown in our garden but then again we had a huge garden with a fruit orchard, and some life stock ......the benefit of growing up in the countryside. 

We lived an organic lifestyle, before there was such a thing as an organic lifestyle.......

6 hours ago, john1000 said:

Good stuff Phil. Fon created a vegetable garden which has thrived. Spurned me on somewhat..

We hope to do the same next year.. We have all the seeds ready for next year which is a mixed bag of all sorts.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what works here.

Puang did really well with the Thai cabbage and we got loads of seeds from this years..

Garlic didnt do to well.. due to Puang not giving it water... 

Funny really there's all sorts planted but if she felt it was not worth it she didn't give it water, so she was very surprised at the potatoes popping up but then again they dont need too much water.

Roll on next year..🤗

• 4 months later...

We are avid Gardner’s here,the missus,kid and I spend hours in the garden in the summer.

the snow this year,crushed my makeshift greenhouse,so it will have to be rebuilt.

We have our own brand of pickles and pickled beans.Absolutely love gardening.Put me in my happy place.😊

AB340ADE-0053-4C80-A24C-AE77B34B6A5C.png

2DCAE0E8-CFB5-4945-8DD2-A94F14EBF93E.jpeg

I definatly dont do gardening  but its the old saying you can take the issan farmers daughter away from issan but she will still be a farmers daughter , first thing my mrs did here was grow flowers simply because at home her mum would rip them out and say if you can plant flowers then you can grow vegetables

She has a 3m x3m glass house for the stuff that dont like the cool winters and probably twice that in vege garden its like a jungle on my property

Archived