condo remodel

Sea-Hawks

Well Bro .. when I bought my flat in BKK years ago I had the place totally gutted ... everything except the plumbing ..

A couple of Thai contracting companies .. came gave me a bid ... took deposits from me and never showed back up again ... One time I can understand .. but 2 or 3 fucking times .. shame on me ...

I tried to track the fucks down ... but, no luck .. It wasn't about the money .. they lied to me ... fucking pisses me off

Then Gilles ( a good friend from Corsica - that used to live in BKK - but now Kanchanaburi  ) hooked me up with VG ( a punjabi ) he had a bunch of Thai guys working for him ... they ended up doing a great job .. I mean great ... they hand built all types of closets, cabinets in the kitchen .. a lot of wood work, put flooring in , new electrical wiring and outlets .. everything ..  a great job

But VG went back to India -- was concerned about the Thai education system for his 2 children ....

I have a rental house in Hua Hin and the crew I got to remodel the place was also great .... not sure where you live .. and I am not sure if the they are still in business ... I still see owner of the contracting place occasionally ... but he is pretty old ... I can give him a call

A little advice .. ask for references and phone numbers  , call the people that the contractors worked for , and most people would easily talk to you .. how is your thai ?

If you can't speak Thai ... I can have Beach gal "vet" the people for you .... if she says "yes" .. then I would do ...

Just don't do what I initially did .. blindly accepting someone at face value ... fucking dumb ... trust but verify !

I can turn you on to a really good guy for wall papering , drapes and curtains ...  ( window covering )

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

4 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Can anybody recommend a company that does condo remodel jobs.  I need a full remodel - bathroom, kitchen, bedroom.  A complete demo and build out

9 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

Seeing as you asked  . . . . .

I needed work done on my condo in 2016, and asked for recommendations on the Secrets board. A few people mentioned Steve, and I appointed him.

It was a good decision. Steve is a 100% straightforward guy to deal with, and the quality of the (not so straightforward) work was excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

I needed work done on my condo in 2016, and asked for recommendations on the Secrets board. A few people mentioned Steve, and I appointed him.

It was a good decision. Steve is a 100% straightforward guy to deal with, and the quality of the (not so straightforward) work was excellent.

...hey Bazle, you wouldn’t happen to have some before & after photos of the work you had done by chance you could post? What type of work did you require?

thanks!

Just now, Sea-Hawks said:

...hey Bazle, you wouldn’t happen to have some before & after photos of the work you had done by chance you could post? What type of work did you require?

thanks!

Sorry - I don't think that I do have pictures, certainly none to hand. 

The tiles on my bathroom floor tented, so all had to be taken up and new ones laid. It was not easy as the tilers had to work around a toilet and a built-in-place shower cubicle, and deal with a vanity unit.

I took the opportunity, whilst having workmen there, to have the top of the vanity unit replaced by a granite one, and a new, large wall mirror put in to replace an older, smaller one. Neither of those jobs was straightforward either because a hole for the pipe to come through the granite had to be drilled in exactly the right place, and the mirror was fixed to the wall with adhesive and had to be broken off.

Steve has subsequently done a few smaller jobs for me, like servicing the AC.

4 hours ago, Proffesor said:

Seeing as you asked  . . . . .

My (Thai ) wife and I have a small Company ( Engineering & Property Services Co Ltd ) based here in the Darkside. I'm an Engineer to trade, so have a reasonable understanding of how things "work".

We have Thai staff ( as required to meet my Work Permit quota ), we have a Furniture Workshop / equipment store and we have trusted sub-contractors that cover all the trades that I can imagine you ever needing; which include :-

• Air Cons
  • Glazing
  • Ceramic Tiling
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing + water tanks, pumps et al
  • I.T.
  • Decorating - painting, papering etc.
  • Curtains, blinds etc
  • Granite & Marble ( and refinishing work )
  • Security safes
  • Security doors
  • Mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum fabrication
  • Bespoke furniture
  • General Building work
  • Etc. etc

All sub-contractors work under our ( my ) supervision. Where possible, we aim to provide a near European standard of work.

We have been called out to replace a Bum Gun head. I've been employed as the Project Manager of a THB 35m+ house ( mansion ) build. These two jobs represent the two extremes thus far.

Currently, we're upgrading the 2nd of 3 bathrooms in a ( Pattaya ) town house, due to start building some internal walls and replacement of old steel water pipes ( with PVC / PP-R ) in a 200 Sq.M Jomtien Condo renovation next week. Also in discussion regarding the revamping of a 3 storey shop-house bar in central Pattaya.

We work on a straight forward "Cost + 20%". Labour day rates for various staff skill sets are declared up-front, as is my wife's and my day-rate. Quality materials are purchased at the best rate we can find. The work is done, the cost of materials and labour added-up, a 20% premium is applied ( Overheads, Profit Margin etc. ) and the total is what we ask you to pay. If the job goes well, you pay less. If we hit an unforeseen snag ( TiT ! ), we tell you, we fix it ( properly ) and you only pay what it costs ( + 20% ). The alternative is that you invite a contractor to Quote for the work; he Quotes for what he can see, + a huge contingency for what he can't see, but experience has led him to anticipate, + a profit margin. If the job goes well, you pay through the nose and he makes a killing. If the job goes badly, he has the option of covering-up any problems and walking away with a small profit, or doing it properly and making a loss . . . . unfortunately, the latter doesn't often happen.

You will find cheaper than us, but I would like to think that, although more expensive, at the end of the day, we provide Value for Money.

So, if you think we might be able to help, please give me a shout.

Steve ( a.k.a. Proffesor )                08221 68865

[email protected]

Based on the above you are the person I would probably use and you seem to have pitched it just right. I hope you are doing well as you come across as being open and honest and in a world which isn’t always that way, it’s reassuring to hear👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, AJSP said:

Based on the above you are the person I would probably use and you seem to have pitched it just right. I hope you are doing well as you come across as being open and honest and in a world which isn’t always that way, it’s reassuring to hear👍

Your kind words are hugely appreciated, thank-you very much.

I'm an engineer, not a word-smith. Engineers live in a world of "right" or "wrong" ( and would-be engineers have a third category "good enough" ). My background was in submarine engineering, where "good enough" = people die ! I was somewhat trepidacious about posting such a self promoting text, but commercially, one has to take the opportunities presented; which is why your comment " you seem to have pitched it just right" is so welcomed. Again, thank-you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

thanks!

If you are in Pattaya and have a serious interest in engaging us to do work, I'm able to take you to various properties where we've undertaken work, to show you the end result.

If you're not in Pattaya, and have a specific interest in having us refurb, say, a shower room, we can provide images of work that we have done in different room sizes, shapes and in different "styles".

I'm off to work now. I'll try to get images of a bathroom that we're converting to a shower room and post them here, then later, I'll post images of the completed works.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

O.K. images as promised :-

20200808_130519.jpg

This is the bathroom of a Pattaya town house, built approx 15 years ago.

20200808_130528.jpg

As you can see, it has a toilet, a bath tub ( used only as a shower ) and a wash basin

20200808_130543.jpg

The electric water heater feeds hot water to both the bath mixer tap and the wash basin tap.

We are currently working on an identical bathroom directly above :-

20200808_121654.jpg

20200805_095111.jpg

The bathtub has been removed, together with the toilet and the wash basin. The ceramic floor tiles lifted and the floor "tanked" - the justification for the upgrade was that water was leaking down through the floor to the room below; the floor tile grouting had failed. The wall tiles below the waistline trim removed. An extension has been built to widen the showerhead wall ( the width of the original bath alcove being insufficient for a decent shower cubicle ). New wall tiles fitted from the waistline down. A beam formed for the shower door to sit on, approx 4 cm above finished floor level.

The floor tiles yet to be laid and the shower head wall and return ( shelf alcove ) yet to be tiled.

I'll post more images when fully complete.

F.Y.I. here are images of a similar bathroom upgrade that we did last year ( same problem, water leaking through to the room below ), using the same style of shower door, which is in fact a white powder coated aluminum patio door frame, fitted with laminated safety glass, which our sub-contracting glazier can make to virtually any size :-

1595482476775(1).jpg

1595483109358(1).jpg

Before the eagle eyed among you point it out, I wasn't happy with the capping riveted onto the top rail of the shower door frame, so at my request, I'm told the glazier has now sourced a different section that comprises a rectangular box section with 3 blades underneath ( that the doors slide between ) to replace the open topped top rail used in this installation ( with a capping subsequently riveted on ).

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Hi, 

I'm thinking of hiring Steve & his entourage for a condo remodel (pretty much everything) and before I do I would like to hear from some of you if you were satisfied with his work? 🙂 If its uncomfortable to write in public I'm always available in DM. 

I was very satisfied with the work that Steve and his team did on my bathroom. Steve likes to make sure that things are done properly. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1