Street Photographs From Pattaya Area

john luke

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

@Painter  Soi Pothole? How appropiate huh? Pattaya seems light years behind in getting floods under control. I see posts here all the time about " work" being done to fix this, but it just never gets fixed? What's the deal other then TIT? 

Two problems with Soi Pothole not being properly fixed. One is there are only two storm drains for the length of the soi, located in front of the Triangle Bar. That results in a lot more subsurface damage as the water has no other place to go.

That leads to problem number two, the soi is privately owned. To get it properly fixed the landowner and probably the tenants would have to dig deep into their pockets to fund the needed drainage and road work.

Screen Shot 09-09-21 at 09.42 AM.JPG

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sad when you need a cop to direct traffic at a roundabout.
P9190004.jpg

Beach chair vendors had to resort to building sand ramps over the abandoned tree and footpath destruction project.
P9190006.jpg

Surprised the storm damage from the 8th hasn't been repaired yet at this spot.
P9190007.jpg

Nearby they're harvesting sand from the beach exposed by low tide.
P9190010.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

No idea what these two were fishing around for. The shutoff valve maybe?

PA120002.jpg

Hahahaha! It took me ages to spot the second person!!!

Have you ever watched the driver of a little back hoe get the machine off the back of a lorry without using ramps? Fascinating to watch. If you get the chance to witness it, stay and watch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Have you ever watched the driver of a little back hoe get the machine off the back of a lorry without using ramps? Fascinating to watch. If you get the chance to witness it, stay and watch.

Not seen it done IRL, but seen a few YT videos of the process.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I didn't spot that, thought it was a hat floating in the crap.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:23 AM, forcebwithu said:

Expats now have a new grocery store to shop at, Nadia's Expat Essentials.

First time for a while I've been out for a wander and noticed this had changed hands.  Now Fever Expat Suppliers and its new (to me) big brother further along Soi Bongkot, Fever Expat Food and Beverages.

fever 01.jpg

fever 02.jpg

Edited by KWA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought I'd capture a few pictures for posterity of the soon to be demolished MIT bar complex. Starting at the top end of the complex.
PB010022.jpg

PB010023.jpg

PB010025.jpg

PB010029.jpg

PB010033.jpg

PB010035.jpg

PB010040.jpg

Last two shots on the Buakhao end at the split towards Tree Town.
PB010041.jpg

PB010047.jpg

With the closure of MIT, thought I might see some signs of a few bars moving to Soi 7. Nothing going on this morning though.
PB010050.jpg

PB010051.jpg

PB010052.jpg

Can't see it in this shot, but work going on at a couple of new places on Soi Pothole.
PB010054.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Thought I'd capture a few pictures for posterity of the soon to be demolished MIT bar complex.

I used to like sitting in Serbia Bar on Second Road.

- It had cheap ice cold draught beer chang

- It was near the zebra crossing to Central and it was fascinating to watch tourists crossing the road thinking that it was  safe to cross. Sort of like watching wildebeest crossing a croc infested river.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I used to like sitting in Serbia Bar on Second Road.

- It had cheap ice cold draught beer chang

- It was near the zebra crossing to Central and it was fascinating to watch tourists crossing the road thinking that it was  safe to cross. Sort of like watching wildebeest crossing a croc infested river.

I did the same, but at Daokai Bar. Other than Danny's Sports Bar, I had given up on the complex a couple of years ago due to high customer and LD prices. That and the crap music.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

I did the same, but at Daokai Bar. Other than Danny's Sports Bar, I had given up on the complex a couple of years ago due to high customer and LD prices. That and the crap music.

I've seen a few YTers saying that the strip was there over 20 years ago but in my memory it hasn't been there as long as that because it was MIT shopping area.

What do you (and others) think???? Am I just a forgetful old man or not?

38 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I've seen a few YTers saying that the strip was there over 20 years ago but in my memory it hasn't been there as long as that because it was MIT shopping area.

What do you (and others) think???? Am I just a forgetful old man or not?

I believe many of the bars migrated from across the road, at the top of Soi 9 and were bulldozed to make way for the 

Central Festival complex and new shop houses on the north side of Soi 9.

I used to spend many a pleasant evening in the bars there, but it was never the same after they relocated to MIT.....

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

I believe many of the bars migrated from across the road, at the top of Soi 9 and were bulldozed to make way for the 

Central Festival complex and new shop houses on the north side of Soi 9.

I used to spend many a pleasant evening in the bars there, but it was never the same after they relocated to MIT.....

So when do you think MIT bars were born?

The question is worrying me more than it should!!!

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

So when do you think MIT bars were born?

The question is worrying me more than it should!!!

The question should be " when can the bars be reborn", many people say maybe the 1st December, here's hoping.....

The bars in MIT were in single numbers before the migration from across the road around Soi 9, my memory is not so good but i would imagine it was around 16 (ish) years ago ??   But they were never the same in my opinion. MIT became like the old Soi 2 complex with too many bars crammed into the space available, each with their own 'music' doing battle with with the surrounding bars. As you said earlier, the bars facing onto 2nd road were by far the best of a bad bunch.

Edited by SteveBC

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That is exactly what I think. Sorry for putting you on the spot but a YTer and his "audience" were saying that they sat at those bars 20 to 21 years ago and I thought it was utter bollocks!

No worries Dangle, but i do believe there were just 2 or 3 bars there before the exodus from across the road. So maybe they are referring to those ??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

No worries Dangle, but i do believe there were just 2 or 3 bars there before the exodus from across the road. So maybe they are referring to those ??

No problems mate, it was just niggling at me.

Watching Pattaya YTers is like tasting your own spunk: you don't want to do it but in the end you've just gotta try it and see, but then you end up snowballing a girl in Lolitas....Or perhaps that's just me!

Or perhaps I should have just thought of a better simile.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That is exactly what I think. Sorry for putting you on the spot but a YTer and his "audience" were saying that they sat at those bars 20 to 21 years ago and I thought it was utter bollocks!

It's hard to tell, but using Google Earth's imagery history, the earliest good satellite view is from Jan, 2005. Kind of looks like MIT was under construction at the time.
Screen Shot 11-02-21 at 06.10 AM.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1