planning japan trip maybe

thunder367

me and friend and his thai wife may take a trip to tokyo and few other places in japan before we can get back to pattaya for a trip so she can see her family while he stays in town for the stay.was wondering what hotels to stay at and prices.im also after goign to the famous gadget alley in tokyo so see what they have and maybe get something u can not get in uk.also like info on other places to vist in japan  and round tokyo to.we would be willign to travel to other cities as we know the rail service is so good there.would love to go for japan grand prix but its a bit late in year really.id go to mount fuji music festival to but not sure when that is.any info on night life to be welcome even meetign the odd jap girl for drinks andfun if possible.ill be looking to see if a band i like from japan will be doign gigs to anytime maybe try see them to if they not been to uk before hand.

Been a couple of times, plenty of accommodation in Tokyo for £100 or less, I like the APA chain, small but functional modern rooms. In fact quite a lot of hotels in Tokyo have small rooms.

I stayed in Shinjuku and Asakusa, both were decent but you have more going on in Shinjuku. Akihabara or gaget alley as you refer it is worth a stroll, would suggest staying until it goes dark as all the street is lit us with the famous signs.

Cant recommend going to Kyoto for a few days enough, the nicest place I visited in Japan with a lot more ‘old school’ Japanese culture evident and more old buildings etc.

• 6 months later...

@thunder367 Only just seen your thread right now, so sorry for the delay.

Been to Japan 3 times now in the past 3 years. Stayed in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka, and Sapporo. 

As Sangsom as said, rooms in all hotels are generally small, and can be even smaller than you think. Unless you pay some good money for a room, its going to be small. Stayed in Shibuya (Famous scramble crossing)and Shiodome which is right next door to the (now moved) famous Tsukiji Fish market. Travel around Tokyo is very efficient and cheap. You can get a 3/5 day travel card which covers all but 2 train lines in Tokyo, but is only available for tourists! 3 day card was Y1500.

If your wanting to travel the length of Japan on the Shinkansen, that will not be cheap at all!! Although saying that, if you want to explore a certain region in Japan on the train, a JR rail pass is amazing value. I booked a JR East rail pass, which covered everything I wanted to see in the Osaka/Kansai region, and a 5 day pass was £63!!!! Even covered my Shinkansen train from Osaka to Hiroshima too, which if paid for that separately would of been the best part of £115 one way!! So the JR pass is amazing value for money. Again, pre-booked before arrival and only available to tourists! Found domestic flights around the country to be a great price. I paid about £65 on ANA for each flight, which included baggage too!.

Need anymore info, let me know. Would be happy to help.

Highly, highly recommend flying up to the north island of Hokkaido and checking out Sapporo!

Edited by Sherlock
  • Great Info 1

Always wanted to do this myself, looks like such an amazing country to visit. All the talk about hating “gaijin” couldn’t be further from the truth, all my connections from Vancouver have gone through Narita, both directions, and the Japanese have always been sooooo polite, even if all I can mouth is “arigato” 

Edited by Golfingboy

40 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Always wanted to do this myself, looks like such an amazing country to visit. All the talk about hating “gaijin” couldn’t be further from the truth, all my connections from Vancouver have gone through Narita, both directions, and the Japanese have always been sooooo polite, even if all I can mouth is “arigato” 

I had heard of the hate before my first visit, and I never saw any hate whatsoever in any of my 3 trips. in fact, it was the complete opposite and on about 4 different occasions, local people went out of their way to help me!