14th September 2006

mrcharliemofo

Well .. Bro ... you gotta stay true to your heart .. but, It doesn't matter where you settle down in the world ... home is where you make it !

Believe me ..I have been through some weird shit here as well .. but, never mind ... and get on with trying to have a good and happy life

I couldn't imagine myself ever moving back to Brooklyn, NY ....

Never mind everyone else .. concentrate on you own happiness ...

Yea ... I agree most are total "wankers"... I have met more than my fair share ... I just say " f**k you " .. they want a problem , they came to the right guy ....

I just try to spend my time doing what I want, when I want and how I want ... I am only responsible for my own happiness .. regardless where I live ...

4 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Well .. Bro ... you gotta stay true to your heart .. but, It doesn't matter where you settle down in the world ... home is where you make it !

Believe me ..I have been through some weird shit here as well .. but, never mind ... and get on with trying to have a good and happy life

I couldn't imagine myself ever moving back to Brooklyn, NY ....

Never mind everyone else .. concentrate on you own happiness ...

Yea ... I agree most are total "wankers"... I have met more than my fair share ... I just say " f**k you " .. they want a problem , they came to the right guy ....

I just try to spend my time doing what I want, when I want and how I want ... I am only responsible for my own happiness .. regardless where I live ...

Yep, got to agree with that, in 14 years here I've never regarded this place as home, I've always called England home. Leicestershire on a cold wet windy November day is not exactly an enticing thought but it is where I call home.

• Like 1

September 2006 to October 2007 was a great time for me, I had a little sideline business on the go here buying stuff here and shipping it back home for my sister to sell on ebay, it kept me busy and kept her occupied as well so all was good there, women wise back then was totally different to now, I'm not going to go into the why's etc but it was far more fun for me personally back then.

I arrived back in Birmingham airport in October 2007 on a cold night after being delayed on an Emirates flight for about 15 hours. I was staying at my sisters old farmhouse and I woke up at 4am in the morning absolutely freezing despite a very thick quilt and wearing a full set of clothes and seeing ice on the windows, still makes me smile now ! My original plan was to have a couple of weeks there, sort a new visa ( easy in those days to get ) and head back to Thailand. Bangkok bank made sure that didn't happen though as they'd given me a card that only worked in Thailand and nowhere else. No problem and I called my old boss and was in work the next day and in regular work for as long as I needed it. A good friend also lent me a car to get around in.

I flew back to Bkk in January 2008 but even now looking back on things I could see things were changing and not for the better. In May / June time I went home, I managed a month there as work had dried up and I was bored so it was back to Thailand, after a couple of months I'd had enough here and said f**k it I'm off home to sort out what I wanted to do. September 2008 I was back in England again for 4 months and working.

January 2009 I came back here, don't ask me why as I honestly don't know myself and apart from the Cambodia visa runs I've been here ever since.

Probably the first couple of years back here were good, not as good as previously but certainly better than now. About that time I had the chance to go home on a permanent basis but because it was good here I said no and stayed. I wish I had hindsight, wrong decision big time that was.

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Like 4
  • Great Info 1

4 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

On this day 14 years ago I landed at the old Bangkok airport ready for my new life. On the same day 14 years later I'm sitting here and I think I've finally realised that it's time to head back to England.

Is that because there are things you can have in England that you can't have in Thailand - a job, maybe?

Be careful that it is not something inside of you, rather than your location, which makes you feel dissatisfied with life.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

As long as you are being honest with yourself and the reasons for leaving Thailand then the move should be a positive one.

I was having a relatively good life in Thailand (15 years living there) but during that time I got divorced from my English wife, moved house a few times and had quite a bit of my offshore accounts suspended. I was told that I couldn't get a work permit when I wanted to work and I wasn't as well as I thought I was. I was feeling jaded about the future and many times found myself questioning 'what does the future hold but it wasn't really a UK v Thailand deal but just a realistic look at our future.

Met a lovely Thai girl who gave me a beautiful daughter which got me thinking of what to do when she became of school age. I couldn't really afford a good international education for my daughter and many times I sat down and analysed everything and came up with the best solution for me was to return to the UK.  I did have a home in Thailand (small build but livable) but the education issue kept coming up.  Discussed the future with my soon to be wife and we came to the view that living in the UK would be best, even gave an incredible opportunity for her to be the bread winner as she was still young and I was nearing retirement age.  Even her parents agreed education in the UK would be best which kind of shocked me. 

There are many benefits to living in the UK -  pension increases, NHS use, education of a high standard, great areas of beauty to visit, your family, good friends, a government wanting to give handouts I was not even aware of, great shopping with the best variety of foods for all tastes, loads of good quality gyms and pubs, pubs, pubs with great beer (real beer)... the list goes on.

I made the right move, if I hadn't come back I would probably be dead now as they found out I had a major heart valve problem and the severity was such that my prognosis was imminent death or no more than 12 months to live without doing something about it.  Open heart surgery on the NHS for free and I am now a well man.  My daughter has done exceptionally well at school and has integrated perfectly, better than we imagined, she starts a new school here in Wales next Monday.

My wife has been working and earning good money despite being on furlough but that opportunity can not be taken away from her as even when I say 'do you miss Thailand' I get cut short with a 'only miss my family but I will never go back there to live'....she loves the UK and the opportunities it has given her.

I have moved into a beautiful house which has just added to my quality of life, I am happy.

Now your reasons must be genuine to you.  Are you leaving just because you have no money or do you really want to be back in the UK for other more positive reasons.  A desire to be in the UK as opposed to remaining in Thailand must be a priority.  The move back may seem good on the surface but that desire may wane after a few weeks if your heart is in Thailand.  I miss parts of Thailand but not the women or booze, I miss walks on the beach at Hua Hin, I miss the trail at Hellfire pass in Kanchanaburi and I miss the drive to Khon Kaen from Pattaya with great views going over the mountain pass before Korat. There are great hotels and some good beaches but my view of Thailand is now more of a tourist, not that of an expat.

You seem to be trying to blame Thailand and the people you know and meet for your need to move back but don't use those things as excuses as Thailand is a great place for a single man with means and a property. If you have family then have you discussed this with them, a move back is a big decision.

For me it has been the best move I have made in many years, it has been great for my mind, my health and my family.  I hope your choice is based on good sound investment in the positive reasons, it is a major decision to make.

I wish you well in whatever decision you arrive at.

Great reply Dave and thanks, the main reason for me to move back is simply financial, no more and no less, my income here is tourist driven and 6 months of no decent income has and still is eating away at the bank account, my view that there's going to be very little tourism here again in the next 6 months and probably longer means the bank account will be going down more.

I said in March I'd give it 6 months and review things and I have got to the 6 months now and let's be honest there's going to be no sudden opening of the borders here or anywhere anytime soon. So my question to myself is do I continue here with very small income and subsidising it by eating at my bank balance or sell up here and head home with some cash available to start again there ? Like I said earlier the thought of going back terrifies me now, in my heart I'd like to stay here as things may get back to somewhere near normal but my head is saying that's not going to happen.

You're right about Thailand should be a great place if you're single and a man of means, right now I'm only one of them but my women chasing days are long gone now plus I've never been someone that was out every night drinking and tarting, apart from maybe the first couple of years ?

I've got family in England but we're not that close and I'm probably closest to my brother in Oz who has said that if I want to go and stay there I'd be welcome, obviously though there's no chance of me doing that either anytime soon.

I really just don't know what to do for the best now ??

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Is that because there are things you can have in England that you can't have in Thailand - a job, maybe?

Be careful that it is not something inside of you, rather than your location, which makes you feel dissatisfied with life.

Work full stop. No income here and although I'd have to jump through a few hoops back home to get up to speed on my old job it would give me a pretty good income.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

For many this the complete stop to tourists has to be a bit like looking behind the curtain to see there is no wizard of Oz. This is the real Thailand and not the one with all the distractions of Pattaya or new tourists to have a chat with. You've realized this will never feel like home and you're smart enough to know you need a pace that feels that way for your mental heath. I believe you owe it to yourself to find what feels like home. For some its family, others it's to be needed at work, and others its the building they reside in. You should take the leap and search for happiness. Pattaya and Thailand will be here if you change your mind but it appears you are making a final move probably from your words above. Too many can't see what you are seeing and they drink or drug too much or even jump as they feel there is no other way. Take the trip to a new or former land and enjoy the journey, it seems you holiday in Thailand has ended.

Best Wishes!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Work full stop. No income here and although I'd have to jump through a few hoops back home to get up to speed on my old job it would give me a pretty good income.

Thailand is not the place to make any real money ... unless you are very specialized ... or get really lucky ....  especially now .. like you say !

Just do what you think you should do .. and find some peace and happiness !

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Great reply Dave and thanks, the main reason for me to move back is simply financial, no more and no less, my income here is tourist driven and 6 months of no decent income has and still is eating away at the bank account, my view that there's going to be very little tourism here again in the next 6 months and probably longer means the bank account will be going down more.

I said in March I'd give it 6 months and review things and I have got to the 6 months now and let's be honest there's going to be no sudden opening of the borders here or anywhere anytime soon. So my question to myself is do I continue here with very small income and subsidising it by eating at my bank balance or sell up here and head home with some cash available to start again there ? Like I said earlier the thought of going back terrifies me now, in my heart I'd like to stay here as things may get back to somewhere near normal but my head is saying that's not going to happen.

You're right about Thailand should be a great place if you're single and a man of means, right now I'm only one of them but my women chasing days are long gone now plus I've never been someone that was out every night drinking and tarting, apart from maybe the first couple of years ?

I've got family in England but we're not that close and I'm probably closest to my brother in Oz who has said that if I want to go and stay there I'd be welcome, obviously though there's no chance of me doing that either anytime soon.

I really just don't know what to do for the best now ??

I understand your turmoil in making the right decision.  Being older puts more stresses on the reasons to stay or go.  For me having medical insurance to cover every eventuality is really a major financial outlay as we get older and it doesn't come cheap if you wish to cover yourself, for me not having insurance and living by lady luck was not an option I wished to take.

Is there a possibility you could move to another area in Thailand where you may get revitalized, find a different lifestyle more suitable to your needs and with possible savings on rent etc or is the financial burden going forward too much. I know there are those who say they won't live to a ripe old age so live now and worry later but worrying later might include the inability to make a move back home or even find you far more broke than you are now and far more depressed about the realities of your existence.

I hope you can make a decision before the financial side hits hard, being in the UK can still see many opportunities available to you and you may find it was a move you were right to make.

Don't though end up like so many who fail to realise their true position and hang on hoping above hope that their financial position will change, it usually doesn't and there may come a time when the time to move passes you by, we have all read the sad stories of people who have fallen foul of hanging on too long and some of those stories are very sad indeed.

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1

On 9/14/2020 at 11:19 PM, Horizondave said:

I hope you can make a decision before the financial side hits hard,

Don't though end up like so many who fail to realise their true position and hang on hoping

We all need hope... but, it can be disastrous ....  he wouldn't be saying these thing if he wasn't hurt financially and worrying about being broke , which I suspect he is .. I mean no disrespect .... 

Shit happens ...

You gotta be strong and fight for your life .... for you happiness .... being happy and content in life is your main purpose

Shit or get off the pot .... and I don't mean the smoking kind of pot

Makes me a little sad .... fight for you happiness ..... nothing comes easy !

• Great Info 1

Really interesting discussion.  As of July I am unemployed for the first time in my life. 41 years consisting of US Navy (6 years), Small company (2 Years), large Corporation (33 years).  Since my first trip to Thailand in 2005 I have planned to spend some of my retirement in LOS.  Currently working on re-locating here in the US and setting up a smaller home to spend 4-6 months a year with the rest in LOS, possibly purchase a condo in BKK, but obviously just rent at first for awhile.

Now it looks like any plans for LOS are on hold for at least another year.  Even just a 30 or 60 day holiday is not an option.

So I have finally reached the right age, with the finances all set up for a comfortable retirement, and all I can do is wait it out.

But, when I am finally able to visit Thailand for a long time or short vacation, will it be everything I have set it up in my head to be?

Will it be relaxing breakfasts, foot massage in the afternoon, a few drinks in the evening, and maybe, on occasion, some friendly female company?

Or will it just be more rules and aggravation than a daily foot massage and friendly ladies are worth to me as I get oder.

Well, I am going to give it a try, when allowed back in by Thailand, and I'll try to post a bit more here as things get moving.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seems things are just not going well for you here. Worrying about finance is stress you don't need. Go back and get a job. Weather won't be great, but you'll have mates around you and it sounds like you need them right now. With a bit of cash built up you might enjoy a long holiday here every year better. Good luck wherever you end up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Sounds like a good plan mate. 
Re group for a couple of years in the UK, let the dust settle, then your options will be a lot clearer. 

We came back to the UK years ago, not for financial reasons, just a very elderly father, but we have never regretted it in the least. We do what we want, when we want, which was just about what we did in Thailand when we lived there.
We still have big family and financial ties there, but they are only a 12 hour flight away, (when this Covid shite is over) so no real problem for us or the wifes family. 

Now, with a 10 year old needing a good education, the UK is a no brainer, plus all the other benefits of the NHS, the beautiful English countryside, my family a few hours drive away, a half decent infrastructure and warm beer. 😀

As others have mentioned, if your main problem is financial, then move now, don’t leave it until you’re completely broke.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

As others have mentioned, if your main problem is financial, then move now, don’t leave it until you’re completely broke.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. 👍

11 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

A mistake many make.

Ditto from me, what ever you decide to do, do it whilst you still have a finacial cushion to do so.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, jersey said:

Really interesting discussion.  As of July I am unemployed for the first time in my life. 41 years consisting of US Navy (6 years), Small company (2 Years), large Corporation (33 years).  Since my first trip to Thailand in 2005 I have planned to spend some of my retirement in LOS.  Currently working on re-locating here in the US and setting up a smaller home to spend 4-6 months a year with the rest in LOS, possibly purchase a condo in BKK, but obviously just rent at first for awhile.

Now it looks like any plans for LOS are on hold for at least another year.  Even just a 30 or 60 day holiday is not an option.

So I have finally reached the right age, with the finances all set up for a comfortable retirement, and all I can do is wait it out.

But, when I am finally able to visit Thailand for a long time or short vacation, will it be everything I have set it up in my head to be?

Will it be relaxing breakfasts, foot massage in the afternoon, a few drinks in the evening, and maybe, on occasion, some friendly female company?

Or will it just be more rules and aggravation than a daily foot massage and friendly ladies are worth to me as I get oder.

Well, I am going to give it a try, when allowed back in by Thailand, and I'll try to post a bit more here as things get moving.

Bro .. don't think Thailand is a "catwalk" .. I have lived here over 20 - 25 years (?) ...

Very easy to get "lured" into some bullshit ... don't trust ... make another person "earn" your trust ....

Don"t purchase a condo .. maybe a car / truck for some freedom .. wait .. on purchasing a condo and forget BKK and Pattaya ... get to the deep South ..  to the Adaman sea side ... fucking beautiful .. the thai people are super good down in that area of the woods .. a lot different from BKK ...

Foot massages and finding gals are normal here .. 24/7

The "games" people play here are notorious .. a bunch of fucking farangs and the Thais in BKK ... not all .. for sure .. but most .. so be careful and keep and "eye" on your pocket book and your heart ....

I think of BKK as a mini Brooklyn, New York ... keep your head firmly implanted on your shoulders and protect your heart .... and what I say is true ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

Spot on.

Past 55  / 60 , dont buy, rent. Except if you want to hand it over to somebody ....

Can't understand the obsession with ONE country or place.... I see same on some Indo forums...Paradise here, paradise there... Same on some Philipinnes Youtubers...

I have a gipsy mentality, everywhere I went / worked  / lived, it was just temporary. When I get bored with a place (and I always do after a few years) I move on.

It gets a bit harder when getting old, but it ain't a reason to become soft.

And a gogo girl is CERTAINLY not a good reason.

But to each his own, and whatever floats anyone's boat.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yea.. I cannot understand the obsession of one place either ...

The only reason I am here is because I built a good business .. now also Beach gal and Ziggy ... I gotta keep .....

Easy for me to leave ( if Beach gal would go with me ) back to Colombia or Brazil .. or Paris ( I know )

LOL .. Thailand is not the only place for good looking gals .. and for sure Colombia or Brazil has a shit load more beautiful, longed legged with great ass gals, without the bullshit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Bro .. don't think Thailand is a "catwalk" .. I have lived here over 20 - 25 years (?) ...

Very easy to get "lured" into some bullshit ... don't trust ... make another person "earn" your trust ....

Don"t purchase a condo .. maybe a car / truck for some freedom .. wait .. on purchasing a condo and forget BKK and Pattaya ... get to the deep South ..  to the Adaman sea side ... fucking beautiful .. the thai people are super good down in that area of the woods .. a lot different from BKK ...

Foot massages and finding gals are normal here .. 24/7

The "games" people play here are notorious .. a bunch of fucking farangs and the Thais in BKK ... not all .. for sure .. but most .. so be careful and keep and "eye" on your pocket book and your heart ....

I think of BKK as a mini Brooklyn, New York ... keep your head firmly implanted on your shoulders and protect your heart .... and what I say is true ...

Where could one live on that side of Thailand other than Phuket which is imo much worse than any other tourist town in Thailand and Bkk?