Why have you chosen Thailand as your retirement home ?

Pumpuynarak

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just pointing out your lifestyle is similar to those you seem to have a feeling of superiority over ....

you live in the sunshine , with a younger partner , who obviously isn't with you for your personality 😉 

Don't hold back SE, say what ya think 🤣

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

One reason I chose Thailand was because I totally lost faith in the US justice system. To make a long story short, I accumulated a lot of real estate over the years. I moved in with a VERY wealthy woman. I refused to marry her because we didn't get along that well. When I left her, she told me that she would take everything I had. Ohio recognized common law marriage and she got us married in the eyes of the law. All her money and property was in trust so no way was that part of our assets. We got divorced and she signed a power of attorney allowing me to sell the properties and divide the money equally. I moved from Ohio to Florida. Her crooked lawyers managed to void the power of attorney in the local equally crooked court. She then sued me for fraudulently attempting to convert her assets for my own use. That court approved a huge fine. Keep in mind that ALL the assets were mine because her assets were in trust funds. I refused to pay the judgement so the court gave her the other half of my property. They even went a step further. My properties had a blanket mortgage on them. My banker asked me what I wanted to do. I told my banker that I no longer owned any of the properties and to foreclose on them which they tried. Her crooked lawyers then sued the bank for five million dollars because the mortgage was in my name and not her name. It took six years and it eventually went to the Ohio supreme court. Of course the bank won because that judge immediately threw the case out. My banker was a friend of mine and called me to tell me that we won the case because the judge saw through their scheme. Of course over that six years, the lawyers were collecting all the rents. The crooked lawyers knew their scheme would eventually fail. There was absolutely no way that power of attorney could be voided. The woman told the crooked lawyers that she wanted nothing and just make sure that I got nothing. Of course after six years there was nothing left. Of course the bank finally got their money. The other lawyers in the crooked county refused to represent me so everything was left to the court. All through that nightmare, I kept telling myself that no way was this entire obviously crooked scheme possible. I was wrong, there was no justice.

Anyways I had nothing left in the US and that made it much easier to leave. I was fortunate to have a very good profession and always had good paying jobs. That's how I ended up here in Thailand, a very good job offer. During my time working here in Thailand, it got in my blood and I knew that I would eventually retire here and that's how it has turned out. I'm certainly no longer wealthy but I am comfortable enough with the financial means to comfortably live out the rest of my life. I am sure that my standard of living in the US would not be near my standard of living here in Thailand. I still hate lawyers, even lawyers here in Thailand.

If anyone thinks this travesty of justice is not true and could not happen, I have a copy of the supreme court hearing and the reversal of the crooked county courts decision. It is a lot of legal mumble jumble but proves that the lawyers and the county court are/were indeed crooked. The only loser in the entire scam was me. It cost me everything that I had worked for. Fortunately I landed on my feet and life is good for me here in Thailand. All I can hope for is that the crooked lawyers and judges rot in hell.

ADDED - Maybe there is such a thing as karma. The main crooked lawyer who started the scam had a heart attack and required open heart surgery. He was then disbarred. He did move out of the county that he had controlled. He had plenty of money so I'm sure being disbarred didn't bother him much. Maybe the best part was that the rich bitch, (my exwife who I never married), walked out of a bar and got hit by a car. She did like her booze, she got busted up big time but fortunately she lived. I didn't want her to die, I wanted her to suffer a lot which she apparently did.

She was hit by a drunk driver who had no car insurance so she was responsible for her own hospital bills.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 5
  • Surprised 1

^^^ Yea ... Bro ... lawyers SUCK ... that is why in the federal system in the USA they get like 99% conviction rates .. I remember when I got busted by the DEA and ATF I was facing over 60 years ... man .. they just pile on and duplicate the charges against you ... in my case multiple conspiracies charges ... multiple distribution charges ... but, I never snitched anyone out and I paid another price for that also ...

Seems once you get tangled up in the US Justice system it takes years to get "untangled" --  out from beneath their wicked hand of justice

But, at the end of the day .. I am the only one to blame ... just be a man ... suck it up and " cowboy the f**k up !"

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Gary, remind me to never move to Ohio and allow some broad to move in.

Jeez, that is some story. Happy you found your bliss in Thailand.

As to your "ex" and one of her lawyers, as they say, karma is a bitch.

It was sad and interesting that a couple years after I was common law married, which I certainly never agreed to, Ohio no longer recognized common law marriage. It was too late for me.

• Like 1

A typical case summarizing about everything NOT to do ...

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2020/09/living-up-country-isnt/

When I arrived at this phrase, I knew already where he came from, and that it was a lost cause.... not to say a trainwreck in the making.

I don't know what goes on in those people's head...

My older brother, Larry, has been retired and living in Bangkok for 10 years or so.  (He’s written a few submissions here.)  When I retired two years ago I came to visit and look around for my own retirement.  Looked good, so last summer (2019) I arrived ready to settle in.

Larry speaks the language somewhat, so I asked him to find me a nice lady to settle in with.  He refused, “Find your own!”, he said, “but I’ll help pick up the pieces if it goes bad.”  Looks like I might need some “picking up”, but not for the reasons you might expect.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gary said:

One reason I chose Thailand was because...

Bloody hell, mate! At least here in Thailand they'd simply have awarded all your property to the Thai wife and you'd have known where you stand (broke and starting over), it seems in the US your American wannabe-wife simply made you suffer for years  with the full connivance of the local legal systems. You're well off out of that lot.

An Australian guy I knew who was quite well-off moved to live here when he was in his early 50's. He had a Thai GF from Udon whom he married. He bought a big house up there and a new truck and set her up with her own local business, basically investing most of his spare cash as he naively assumed this would see him through to the end of his days. The famous old story happened, the Thai wife kicked him out and took everything, the Thai courts had no sympathy, even his friends down in Pattaya thought he'd been reckless, but the bottom-line was that in his late 50's he was forced to move back to Australia to try and find a job so that he could start saving some money again. At least you managed to come out of things a lot better off than he did, so kudos for that.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2020/09/living-up-country-isnt/

When I arrived at this phrase, I knew already where he came from, and that it was a lost cause.... not to say a trainwreck in the making.

Based on my experience I'd say that's a fairly accurate story. Even Bangkok can become "isolating" for some.

A lot of guys who move upcountry do it to be "alone" or to be with their woman, not necessarily to meet new "mates." As far as the local Thais go, a guy will always be a "farang" and often an ATM for the family.

Moving to the sticks really only works when you have a good understanding of how things work (or don't). Even then there will be surprises.

If a guy is still active, having a few hobbies, home improvement projects, or farming helps to keep one's brain engaged. Actively participating in the family/community as much as possible also helps.

Again though, I think it's ideal primarily for the final "golden years" when the activities of daily living necessitate simplicity and care. 

20131210-IMG_3039.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I agree... who in his right mind doesn't go to bars!? The poor bastard...

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, lazarus said:

Based on my experience I'd say that's a fairly accurate story. Even Bangkok can become "isolating" for some.

A lot of guys who move upcountry do it to be "alone" or to be with their woman, not necessarily to meet new "mates." As far as the local Thais go, a guy will always be a "farang" and often an ATM for the family.

Moving to the sticks really only works when you have a good understanding of how things work (or don't). Even then there will be surprises.

If a guy is still active, having a few hobbies, home improvement projects, or farming helps to keep one's brain engaged. Actively participating in the family/community as much as possible also helps.

Again though, I think it's ideal primarily for the final "golden years" when the activities of daily living necessitate simplicity and care. 

20131210-IMG_3039.jpg

When I'm staying up country I'll go for a beer a couple times a week in the afternoon and that's enough for me.

It's nice to see a friendly farang face now and again but there are a lot of negative, grumpy old men around too who will drag your mood down with their bitching about everything. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 10/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, Toy Boy said:

Bloody hell, mate! At least here in Thailand they'd simply have awarded all your property to the Thai wife and you'd have known where you stand (broke and starting over), it seems in the US your American wannabe-wife simply made you suffer for years  with the full connivance of the local legal systems. You're well off out of that lot.

An Australian guy I knew who was quite well-off moved to live here when he was in his early 50's. He had a Thai GF from Udon whom he married. He bought a big house up there and a new truck and set her up with her own local business, basically investing most of his spare cash as he naively assumed this would see him through to the end of his days. The famous old story happened, the Thai wife kicked him out and took everything, the Thai courts had no sympathy, even his friends down in Pattaya thought he'd been reckless, but the bottom-line was that in his late 50's he was forced to move back to Australia to try and find a job so that he could start saving some money again. At least you managed to come out of things a lot better off than he did, so kudos for that.

Now my understanding is ALL assets acquired after marriage are jointly owned and on divorce are shared equally between the two partners but TIT where anything can happen, ask the Red Bull scion lol

33 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now my understanding is ALL assets acquired after marriage are jointly owned and on divorce are shared equally between the two partners but TIT where anything can happen, ask the Red Bull scion lol

I think it will depend on whose name it's in. He put all the property titles and vehicle ownership papers in his Thai wife's name, so I guess under Thai law they're hers regardless of whether he paid for them. I know several guys in my village who have transferred their houses from company ownership into their wive's names, but only after they've been happily married for a decade or so and have at least one child. They feel it's pretty safe by that time, but take the viewpoint that even if the wives did a dirty on them, it would at least mean their kids had somewhere nice to live, and they own other properties as well so they wouldn't end up on the street. The Australian guy seems to have been extremely naive and trusted his Thai wife completely, even if they'd only been married for a few years and didn't have a child to bind them.

2 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I think it will depend on whose name it's in. He put all the property titles and vehicle ownership papers in his Thai wife's name, so I guess under Thai law they're hers regardless of whether he paid for them. I know several guys in my village who have transferred their houses from company ownership into their wive's names, but only after they've been happily married for a decade or so and have at least one child. They feel it's pretty safe by that time, but take the viewpoint that even if the wives did a dirty on them, it would at least mean their kids had somewhere nice to live, and they own other properties as well so they wouldn't end up on the street. The Australian guy seems to have been extremely naive and trusted his Thai wife completely, even if they'd only been married for a few years and didn't have a child to bind them.

According to my understanding of Thai law in the event of a divorce its makes no difference whose name the assets are in, if the asset(s) are acquired AFTER the marriage then they are jointly owned irrespective of who paid for them, but TIT. I have read reports of farang who have divorced and have been awarded 50% of any assets by Thai courts, now whether they actually received their 50% remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

. I know several guys in my village who have transferred their houses from company ownership into their wive's names, but only after they've been happily married for a decade or so and have at least one child.

Some play the long game ..... And often a kid is just another tool to them to meld you down...

8 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

They feel it's pretty safe by that time, but take the viewpoint that even if the wives did a dirty on them, it would at least mean their kids had somewhere nice to live, and they own other properties as well so they wouldn't end up on the street.

Bought a house in BKK around 2009 when we moved back to Thailand, 3 MB, nothing special. Written off from my personal balance sheet instantly.   

The idea was indeed that with 3 kids between 10 and 16 y old, I had anyway to pay rent for at least 10 year before they would be independent. 10 x 25,000 x 12 = 3 MB

But I doubt the kids will ever see or receive anything of the house, as I am sure the ex has mortgaged it up the hill ....

But the 3 kids (2 now self sufficient and out of the house) all told me recently : I don't care about Moms house. We do just like you, take our personal stuff out, and after that it can collapse.

Here in Indo, I own NOTHING except my personal souvenirs. No car, no motorbike, ok...yes, opened a HSBC account this morning and put 50 M IDR on it (2,500 euro)

The missus house is hers since over 20 years, and my "mans cave" in the jungle has cost me around 6,000 Euro (barely 1 month HKG salary at the time), so .....

6 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

According to my understanding of Thai law in the event of a divorce its makes no difference whose name the assets are in, if the asset(s) are acquired AFTER the marriage then they are jointly owned irrespective of who paid for them, but TIT. I have read reports of farang who have divorced and have been awarded 50% of any assets by Thai courts, now whether they actually received their 50% remains to be seen.

That's the key issue IMO ......

A friend who chose to live in Thailand told me, in the UK he exists while in Thailand he lives. Weather, expense, and the friendly nature of people around him gives him a feel good factor. For me I see Thailand as a break mainly because, I have problems with the heat.

I actually don't mind the cold...strange but true.

Edited by john1000
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, john1000 said:

A friend who chose to live in Thailand told me, in the UK he exists while in Thailand he lives.

I could'nt agree more and i too really suffer with the heat but its a small price to pay for my happy retirement. 

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2020 at 11:34 PM, Thai Spice said:

Lazarus, 

For me living in a remote rural area in a 3rd world country is a nono. Lack of everything. 

Plus, I want to be near the sea. 

People in the jungle village are nice, all family is nice, the Missus house is OK, but no way I can bear it there more than 2 weeks.

But to each his own. 

LOL.

You live in a remote third world country do you not?

Which is cool, I am sure you love it there, and I am sure there are plenty of guys that love rural Isaan.

Not everyone is the same ThaiSpice.

Some people lived and worked their entire lives in busy cities, and all they want from their retirement is a bit of peace and quiet, somewhere to see out their days in the sunshine with a beer and some female companionship.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

LOL.

You live in a remote third world country do you not?

Which is cool, I am sure you love it there, and I am sure there are plenty of guys that love rural Isaan.

Not everyone is the same ThaiSpice.

Some people lived and worked their entire lives in busy cities, and all they want from their retirement is a bit of peace and quiet, somewhere to see out their days in the sunshine with a beer and some female companionship.

I live mainly in Bali, you could compare it with Phuket, but a bit better. Not really a remote 3rd world place. 

And before that I lived 8 y in HKG. not bad in the crazy metropolis categorie, although you can have plenty fun, and I did.

And yes, I do enjoy the slow pace of life here on Bali, and the attitude of Balinese people beats that of the Honkies 100 times !

Beer and women ? Available everywhere in the world, never been an issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

I live mainly in Bali, you could compare it with Phuket, but a bit better. Not really a remote 3rd world place. 

And before that I lived 8 y in HKG. not bad in the crazy metropolis categorie, although you can have plenty fun, and I did.

And yes, I do enjoy the slow pace of life here on Bali, and the attitude of Balinese people beats that of the Honkies 100 times !

Beer and women ? Available everywhere in the world, never been an issue.

What's your issue with isaan and Thailand, its weird. You think Bali is some uppity island like the Maldives, it's mallorca but with more Muslims and Aussies. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

What's your issue with isaan and Thailand, its weird. You think Bali is some uppity island like the Maldives, it's mallorca but with more Muslims and Aussies. 

Wrong. 

Obviously you missed a.few lessons in school....

Maldives is a 100 % muslim country :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_the_Maldives

Secondly, Bali is an Hindu island

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balinese_Hinduism

Third, how long did you lived in Thailand, and how many kids did you brought up in Thailand ?

So, go back at your desk, think deep and come back later with a better answer ....

Capito ?

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Wrong. 

Obviously you missed a.few lessons in school....

Maldives is a 100 % muslim country :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_the_Maldives

Secondly, Bali is an Hindu island

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balinese_Hinduism

Third, how long did you lived in Thailand, and how many kids did you brought up in Thailand ?

So, go back at your desk, think deep and come back later with a better answer ....

Capito ?

Nearly 15% Muslim. 

I don't care how many kids you have in Thailand, your hatred of everything Thai just pours out of you. 

You think we are all jealous of you living in Indonesia, as if its some kind of paradise on earth. 

Third world shithole full of ragheads and aussie criminals.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

39 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Nearly 15% Muslim. 

I don't care how many kids you have in Thailand, your hatred of everything Thai just pours out of you. 

You think we are all jealous of you living in Indonesia, as if its some kind of paradise on earth. 

Third world shithole full of ragheads and aussie criminals.

This is the kind of response idiots give when they run out of arguments or are cornered....

YOUR jalousie pours out from every word in that text....

Anyway, breakfast and swimming pool for me ! Dont forget to wear your pyjamas and socks to bed, its cold over there ! 

29 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

This is the kind of response idiots give when they run out of arguments or are cornered....

YOUR jalousie pours out from every word in that text....

Anyway, breakfast and swimming pool for me ! Dont forget to wear your pyjamas and socks to bed, its cold over there ! 

I'd rather live in a siberian prison than a 3rd world Muslim hellhole. 

• Haha 1