Whats the score with opening a Bank account in the Philippines ??

RR007

• RR007 changed the title to Whats the score with opening a Bank account in the Philippines ??
1 hour ago, RR007 said:

Do you need a specific visa or is it somewhat more relaxed than Thailand on new accounts...??

When I lived there in the late 80s/90s it was relatively easy to open an account with just a private address, a passport, a deposit, passport photos and a nice smile.

Nowadays though I believe you need to have all the above plus a visa that allows long term stay and in that respect you would also need to show an Alien Certificate of Registration Card known as an ACR.

Maybe there are ways around it but like everything with immigration, banking etc the rules have been tightened everywhere, not least the Philippines.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:59 PM, RR007 said:

Do you need a specific visa or is it somewhat more relaxed than Thailand on new accounts...??

We opened ours 22 years ago, so not sure but Horizondave is on the money (pardon the pun) with his info on opening an AC there. I found this link which might help a bit:

https://kittelsoncarpo.com/an-expats-guide-to-opening-a-bank-account-in-the-philippines/

Incidentally, try not to use an ATM other than one inside a bank unless you're in somewhere decent like MOA . I've seen at least 4 with skimmers attached and in the process of being removed (but to be fair they had "Out of order" notices on them and were taped up).

Edited by Butch