RIP Prince Philip - AKA "Philip the Greek"

10 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

lol, why do I get the feeling you're not a big fan? 🤣

My comment wasn't about him in particular, as Royals go, i didn't actually mind him, again, in so far as Royals go. I mean, i'm not a Royalist, but certainly not anti Royal either. I understand the benefits they bring to the UK in everything from tourism, diplomacy, to world leaders being wined and dined to help smooth trade deals or whatever. Though a lot of that's done by the Queen, and if i had my way once she dies, William should be made King, Charles skipped. As apart from the Queen and William, the rest leave a lot to be desired shall we say, in benefits to the UK.

It was moreso to do with the non stop and seemingly neverending coverage, same today ffs, and will be until he gets buried. Enough already, the same regurgitated stuff over and over again, so thank f**k for the Masters to get a break from it. Oh how i missed the latest Covid professor hand picked to give whatever view that media outlet was wanting to portray!

I liked the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, i remember them from school, i also like his work with the WWF, and his raising the profile of conservation in general. I like the Queen as well, and what she has done for the Nation. But there's only one person of that age in the public eye who i really respect and who i really would feel really sad when they die, and that's David Attenborough.   

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Krapow said:

It was moreso to do with the non stop and seemingly neverending coverage, same today ffs, and will be until he gets buried. Enough already, the same regurgitated stuff over and over again, so thank f**k for the Masters to get a break from it. Oh how i missed the latest Covid professor hand picked to give whatever view that media outlet was wanting to portray!

Yep, just watching my local news. First 20 minutes about the Duke including a plug for a special on the Royals after the news.

Looks like a night of watching cat videos on YouTube while waiting for the FujiWhara.

44 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Yep, just watching my local news. First 20 minutes about the Duke including a plug for a special on the Royals after the news.

Looks like a night of watching cat videos on YouTube while waiting for the FujiWhara.

Football and boxing today :default_bow:

15 hours ago, Krapow said:

My comment wasn't about him in particular, as Royals go, i didn't actually mind him, again, in so far as Royals go. I mean, i'm not a Royalist, but certainly not anti Royal either. I understand the benefits they bring to the UK in everything from tourism, diplomacy, to world leaders being wined and dined to help smooth trade deals or whatever. Though a lot of that's done by the Queen, and if i had my way once she dies, William should be made King, Charles skipped. As apart from the Queen and William, the rest leave a lot to be desired shall we say, in benefits to the UK.

I liked the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, i remember them from school, i also like his work with the WWF, and his raising the profile of conservation in general. I like the Queen as well, and what she has done for the Nation. But there's only one person of that age in the public eye who i really respect and who i really would feel really sad when they die, and that's David Attenborough.   

Yeah , I figured that one out. 

I know its not my place to comment on as a non brit  but feel when the Queen dies they should skip Charles and his generation my opinion on some of them would get the royalists foaming at the mouth 

But would be a disaster not to have monarchy 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

I know its not my place to comment on as a non brit  but feel when the Queen dies they should skip Charles and his generation my opinion on some of them would get the royalists foaming at the mouth 

Well pre-covid they attracted enormous numbers of tourists without most of them ever actually seeing any of them.

Apart from that I don't really think the current disfunctional bunch would be a great loss once the current Queen has passed. On the other hand, the tourists all love the pagentry that goes with it so perhaps Charles will finally get a job.

16 hours ago, Nickrock said:

In my opinion the Queen could do worse than take a good look at some other monarchies. In the Netherlands, abdication is the rule instead of the exception and the current Spanish monarchy isn't old enough to have tradition, but with abdications in the last 20 years in Belgium and traditionalist countries as Japan and the Holy See, I'd say the writing is on the wall. And I expect some more abdications in Scandinavia as well in the coming years.

EDIT: There is of course also the rumour she plans to outlive Charles so he can be skipped within the rules.

Edited by Freee!!

16 hours ago, Nickrock said:

A lot would agree with that as Willian is a lot more popular than his dad.......

On 4/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, Krapow said:

Geez, you were busy...

BBC receives 100,000 complaints about Prince Philip’s death

The BBC has been flooded with over 100,000 complaints about the wall to wall coverage of
Prince Philip’s death, The Sun revealed.

The UK’s national broadcaster tore up its usual schedule after news of the Duke of Edinburgh’s
death broke shortly after noon on Friday.

Over the next 24 hours, the BBC’s television and radio channels laid on a string of special
programs chronicling Philip’s life.

But many viewers were left fuming after their favourite shows – including the MasterChef final
– were ditched so special tribute programs could be laid on.

But you're right and next Saturday will just give them a chance to do it all over again.

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

Geez, you were busy...

BBC receives 100,000 complaints about Prince Philip’s death

The BBC has been flooded with over 100,000 complaints about the wall to wall coverage of
Prince Philip’s death, The Sun revealed.

The UK’s national broadcaster tore up its usual schedule after news of the Duke of Edinburgh’s
death broke shortly after noon on Friday.

Over the next 24 hours, the BBC’s television and radio channels laid on a string of special
programs chronicling Philip’s life.

But many viewers were left fuming after their favourite shows – including the MasterChef final
– were ditched so special tribute programs could be laid on.

But you're right and next Saturday will just give them a chance to do it all over again.

I am amazed at what I see and hear sometimes.

I think some people have still got terrestrial TV with 2 or 3 channels in black and white.  Something you don't like then turn over to another channel, there are a few on my TV and I have only got Freeview.

The coverage for years on Brexit and the constant coverage of all things George Floyd and BLM and very little complaint.  I suppose sign of the times.

And comments such as it must have been like VE day in England yesterday just shock me, what makes up peoples lives these days, it is frightening.

Maybe I should have put this post on the 'what gets on your tits' thread.

God forbid the Queen ever drops dead during 'Strictly'....

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I am amazed at what I see and hear sometimes.

I think some people have still got terrestrial TV with 2 or 3 channels in black and white.  Something you don't like then turn over to another channel, there are a few on my TV and I have only got Freeview.

The coverage for years on Brexit and the constant coverage of all things George Floyd and BLM and very little complaint.  I suppose sign of the times.

And comments such as it must have been like VE day in England yesterday just shock me, what makes up peoples lives these days, it is frightening.

Maybe I should have put this post on the 'what gets on your tits' thread.

God forbid the Queen ever drops dead during 'Strictly'....

It’ll be the anti royals having a whine up. In fairness though I thought the coverage was a bit OTT with 4 of the 5 main channels pretty much covering it all day that day and I’m pro monarchy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

It’ll be the anti royals having a whine up. In fairness though I thought the coverage was a bit OTT with 4 of the 5 main channels pretty much covering it all day that day and I’m pro monarchy.

Yes, if you are sitting in doors all day then it could have felt like too much but I just turned over to another channel or got on with some other things that needed doing in the house or garden.

I wouldn't be complaining to the BBC yet 100,000 did;  that says something to me and I am concerned that many seem to be mothballed in their small bubbles that appear wouldn't take much to collapse around them while the majority of us oldies are just getting on with business without much issue.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Prince Philip, who died on April 9, aged 99, was renowned for speaking his mind. Here, we celebrate the Duke of Edinburgh’s best jokes - and greatest gaffes - from over the years.

1.  "British women can't cook" (in Britain in 1966).

My Mother managed to change his mind on that in 1986. Whilst she was working for a well known member of the establishment as his housekeeper, he invited the DofE round for a private dinner. My mother was tasked with making the food. The senior Royals are known for eating very little at formal dinners for reasons of diet and the number of functions they are required to attend.

My Mother made him faggots in gravy and he liked it so much that he asked for seconds. My Mothers finest hour.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3