Do we ever get used to the heat?

Jambo

I am in my 14th year of living in Thailand and have finally come to the conclusion that I absolutely hate the heat and humidity.

I cycle at 6.30am for exercise because it is the coolest part of my day but I still come back drenched in sweat.

I shower and change into my work clothes and continue with my current project of repainting the whole of the outside of our house, walls and fences in Bangsaray. After 30 minutes I am ringing wet with sweat again and stay like that for the next 4 hours at which point I give up for the day as by then I am absolutely cream crackered and borderline dehydrated even though I will have by then consumed two bottles of water from the fridge.

IMG_20210505_160247.jpg     IMG_20210505_160400.jpg                                  

The problem is that we farlangs cannot really do any outside manual work when the temperature is 30 - 35 c which it is every single day. I am doing it becaue I am determined to complete this project because there is absolutely nobody to tell me I am doing it wrong and it is giving me a lot of self satisfaction. On the other hand, if I don't post for a couple of days on the forum I have probably passed out and fallen off the ladder.

My daughters think that living in Thailand is like being on holiday all the time simply because the sun shines a lot and it is always hot. The reality is that we do all we can to avoid being out in the sun and the heat and humidity is so draining. It is not even as if we can wait for the sun to go down and the neon lights to come on and the airconditoned bars to entice us back with "Welcome hansum man."

I really am getting to hate the heat.

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 4

I lived & worked in the middle east for quite a few years where it was both hotter & more humid.OK I was a lot younger then but a lot of my workmates were older than me.When I used to come to Thailand the heat & humidity never bothered me at all.

i'm a fan of the heat - don't like working in it though, especially with the humidity - so have aircon on at 25 in my office with a fan.

Having worked all over the world - i chose SEAsia because of the heat (and lifestyle). I spent nearly a year in Beijing and that was an extreme of temps from 40 in the summer (and the humitiy) to -20 in the winter 🙂

love my cycling too - but normally dont cycle during the midday heat (normally avoid 12-3pm).

For the most part I'm not that bothered by the heat. I do sweat a lot, but cycling and running the sweat works as advertised and helps keep my core temp down. That being said, I restrict those activities to morning or late afternoon hours.

The only time I can think of when the heat does start to bother me is when I'm doing projects outside around the house. Then I'm not moving around as much, so the sweat is much more noticeable and uncomfortable. To help with that I'll set up one or two fans around the work area to keep the air moving, and I also plan my work for the part of the day when the work area is in the shade.

Edited by forcebwithu

46 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

For the first year here I couldn't stand it now I cope with it fine it's part of being here 

In all fairness you were a fat c**t in the first year. 🤣

• Haha 6
  • Surprised 1

I have spent so many years working in extreme heat, my body has acclimatized to an extent that I now hate the cold and really feel uncomfortable in temps below 20 degrees.

My heating at home runs at 22 and whilst abroad my aircon runs at 25.

I adapt fairly easy regardless if it is heat or cold. I don't really mind the heat as long as i can creep in the shadow and have a bottle of water nearby. After a week or so in Thailand and if the temp drops below 25 i start looking at my bags and wonder if I should find a pair of jeans instead of the shorts. It is more the sunshine i dislike.

But if i were to live there full time, i would get tired of it. I would miss the change of seasons.

Edited by Lirchenfeld

The heat and humidity are the things I like least about Thailand especially in the hot season. Forever diving into air conditioned areas and 4 showers a day. I don't think I could ever get used to it. The only advantage is eating less, or at least that's what happens with me, as much of the energy we use is keeping the body warm, but I guess that also may work in reverse. I drink gallons of water and it just comes straight out in sweat.  I hate feeling clammy. I remember one particular night I was at the Cherry bar with Butch and a few others, and every half hour I nipped across to Papagoya or whatever its called, for a drink just to cool down for 10 minutes. They thought I was a bit weird, after the third time. 

Worst of all though, have been my visits to the village up in Selaphum. I had to make excuses to drive into town just for the aircon in the car. 

I put it down to being a hot blooded superstud 😜

When I lived up on a hill in Koh Lanta down south I never used the AC...just the sea breezes in the dry season. The Swiss guy I rented from told me I had the lowest electric bill of all of his tenants (ever).

When I lived in Bangkok the AC was on as little as possible and I used fans whenever I could. The big pool at my place was especially nice for cooling off.

At my house in Isaan --  out in the middle of a rice paddy -- I use the AC (26-27c) during hot season as the humidity is oppressing. Dry season it's not necessary most of the time, just use a fan.

Where I live now on the US west coast we have a lot of coastal fog and it's cool/mild most of the time. We call that "free AC." My house rarely gets below 18c...only use the furnace once in while during the winter.

My optimum ambient temp is about 23.8c...don't actually mind outdoor heat until it's above about 35c.

One April I was traveling in Rajasthan near Pakistan and it was almost 50c...that was hot.

Edited by lazarus
grammar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

For the first year here I couldn't stand it now I cope with it fine it's part of being here ideally I would like it to snow but I guess that's not going to happen

You want to see snow......come to Alberta anytime ......

Hate the heat, unlikely I’ll ever visit Thailand again outside of Nov-Feb. I don’t even go to the med in the summer months now it’s too hot, if I’m going there will do April/May/Sept/Oct.

All good posts here so far. As a kid, I never appreciated the effect of humidity, now having travelled a bit both inside Canada and abroad, I understand. As much as I don’t mind a 70C sauna to sweat out some calories, I absolutely hate the heat. But as others mentioned, hate the cold too, it’s getting worse as I age a bit. If I had my choice, I’d be golfing all year, with partly sunny skies, and the mercury right at 20C/70F......

Dare to dream, as we all know the weather is rarely that perfect

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

All good posts here so far. As a kid, I never appreciated the effect of humidity, now having travelled a bit both inside Canada and abroad, I understand. As much as I don’t mind a 70C sauna to sweat out some calories, I absolutely hate the heat. But as others mentioned, hate the cold too, it’s getting worse as I age a bit. If I had my choice, I’d be golfing all year, with partly sunny skies, and the mercury right at 20C/70F......

Dare to dream, as we all know the weather is rarely that perfect

Don’t mind the cold too much, I’d argue a crisp winters day with the sun out is very enjoyable. Its the combo of cold, rain and wind that I don’t like.

• Like 1

Certainly living in Thailand made me appreciate the year around weather here in Calif. I had to give up running outside, yeah I know, I could get up at 5:00am and run down at the local park, but I am retired and I did that for 38 years, getting up early. 

I did feel a bit better after a year there, but much prefer the weather here, so does wifey. No humidity at all, feel a bit more energized here and love the runs at the local High School. Found in LOS, more naps were needed. 

Take the good with the bad right? 

• Like 4

In Muscat I could see the sea from my balcony & it was very humid & very hot.

I used to put the AC on in my bedroom when I went out to the bar & before I went to bed turn it off & just have the big ceiling fan running.

When on hols in Thailand I always looked for somewhere with a big ceiling fan rather than AC.

Working on the aircraft out on the pan could be something of an ordeal,no fans or AC out there & it was fucking hot.

Heat and humidity not a problem ever for me ..........it's the fecking mosquitoes and flies that bug me.

Anyway Jambo is from rainy and cold old North London and misses freezing days on the North Bank Highbury.

Nice bit of house painting however D.

10 hours ago, bexwell said:

In all fairness you were a fat c**t in the first year. 🤣

Still a C##T just not a fat one

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

You want to see snow......come to Alberta anytime ......

I would trade you weather in a heartbeat

• Haha 1