Do we ever get used to the heat?

Jambo

On 5/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, Jambo said:

I shower and change into my work clothes and continue with my current project of repainting the whole of the outside of our house, walls and fences in Bangsaray. After 30 minutes I am ringing wet with sweat again and stay like that for the next 4 hours at which point I give up for the day as by then I am absolutely cream crackered and borderline dehydrated even though I will have by then consumed two bottles of water from the fridge.

Why would you do that when you can pay someone peanuts to do it for you who'll do just as good a job if not better?

I prefer the heat in the Philippines to that of the Middle East. Like @coxyhog knows, Oman could be absolutely fucking ridiculously hot at times. I recall having to dig out a Land Rover when we got stuck in the mud flats at a small village called "Yiti" took me and 3 jundi's an hour , at the end of it I was chinstrapped, dizzy and flaked out in the rear bench seat. The Jundies thought it was hilarious.

I love the heat in the RP though, don't really get a problem with it regardless how much sweat pours out of me. It's the Manila pollution mixed with heat that's really bad though. A day spent walking around Benawe searching for elusive car parts ends up in me going home filthy and stinking.

• Like 1

Heat doesn't bother me much, I've spent too much of my working life freezing - the heat may beat you down but cold hurts; while I don't mind seeing the passage of seasons, I do get weary of seeing snow on the ground for over five months at my latitude and I am sure hoping I am able to get away to somewhere for a while next winter...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Why would you do that when you can pay someone peanuts to do it for you who'll do just as good a job if not better?

Very much doubt it would be better. I had to repaint the whole of the inside of our place after a local f***d it up. They never seem to use drop sheets.

As for the heat i just try to stay indoors during the hottest parts of the day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Very much doubt it would be better. I had to repaint the whole of the inside of our place after a local f***d it up. They never seem to use drop sheets.

As for the heat i just try to stay indoors during the hottest parts of the day.

That is one of the reasons I am doing it myself because it has been under 4 years since a "local" painted the outside of the house etc and if he, assisted by his wife, had done it properly then it would not have required doing again now.

I always did my own decorating back in the UK because it was good to do something that was so different to my basically sedentary working life then which is even more the case now I am no longer working at all.

I have nearly finished now which requires no more than a couple of consecutive dry days and nights. Unfortunately, it has been on and off thunderstorms here most of this week.

The wife is going to have a big shock when she can eventually travel back down to Bangsaray for a visit. She will be most upset she has not had the chance to tell me I was doing it all wrong. :default_dirol:

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, KWA said:

Rare as hen's teeth to find a Thai that can do a decent job and clean up the worksite after they're finished.

Two weeks ago my landlord had a guy in to replace water damaged fascia. Instead of ripping out the damaged section of fascia and replacing with new, he instead dug out the bits of decayed wood, nailed in a couple of filler pieces of wood, slapped on some filler to fill the gaps, and covered the mess with paint without bothering to mask the white soffit.  This is the result.
P5070002.jpg

And the area below after multiple heavy rains since he did the hatchet job.
P5070001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Surprised 1

Environmental conditions probably have a greater impact on social norms and culture than anything. When you look at the pace of things in how the Thais approach daily activity it makes sense. 

I have difficulty with extreme heat. But I make the adaptations necessary to adjust. Because the benefits of living there so much outweigh the costs. And, because as difficult as the heat can often be it is nowhere as bad a cold Lake Michigan wind blowing down your neck.

I know from experience how I would dread an outside project such as painting a house (been there, done that). I'd only have myself to blame if I was to get angry because I made the decision to take it on when I should have know how it would end up.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, Jambo said:

The problem is that we farlangs cannot really do any outside manual work when the temperature is 30 - 35 c which it is every single day.

I would recommend you keep away from large parts of Australia, especially the northern bits, for all but the cooler months. That is the temperature range we get a lot of the year, some paces are humid, others less so. I don't mind the temperature, it is the humidity that gets me. I will admit I slow down when it gets over 38.

Now if you talk about the cold, I have trouble with that.

33 minutes ago, Chang_Paarp said:

I would recommend you keep away from large parts of Australia, especially the northern bits, for all but the cooler months. That is the temperature range we get a lot of the year, some paces are humid, others less so. I don't mind the temperature, it is the humidity that gets me. I will admit I slow down when it gets over 38.

Now if you talk about the cold, I have trouble with that.

I used to enjoy activities in the cold. Alas, age has caught up with me, so warmer climates from now on.

Rocky Mtn Natl Park, 1978.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, latour82 said:

The heat,no problem for me,i have even run 2 full maraton and a half maraton in Thailand, the last years i allways traveling to Thailand in May, witch is the whorst month for many

I think you will find both Bangkok and Pattaya marathons were cancelled in 2020 due to Covid.

I wasted all my training.