RyanAir plane forced to land in Belarus

Freee!!

Correct response would be a prohibition for all NATO/EU registered airplanes to cross Belarus airspace, a prohibition for all Belarus registered airplanes to enter NATO/EU airspace and a complete prohibition to enter NATO/EU airspace from Belarus airspace (that will force Aeroflot -and Asian airlines- to circumnavigate the Belarus airspace as well). The outcome won't only be improved safety, but also to deny Belarus the income derived from airplanes overflying it and using Belarus ATC.

Bonus points if Vladimir Vladimirovich decides enough is enough and joins these sanctions (he already is pretty fed up with Lukashenko).

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

No choice with a couple of armed military jets on your tail and wing.

I know but just showing the excuses of the Balarus authorities don't make any sense , would they have done this without the backing of Moscow .. 

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I know but just showing the excuses of the Balarus authorities don't make any sense , would they have done this without the backing of Moscow .. 

As Lukashenko has done enough stupid things without the backing of Moscow and some of those seriously pissed off Vladimir Vladimirovich, the chances are pretty good this one falls into that category as well. Putin isn't quite as stupid as Lukashenko to put it mildly.

• Like 2

They are trying to say they landed because of a bomb scare. What they dont say, and it is quite obvious from the above map, the diversion to Minsk was longer than going to the nearest airport which was their destination anyway. So the risk to passengers was increased. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Good to see a strong response from the EU over Belarus' hijacking of the Ryanair flight.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Monday said the bloc is "closing our airspace to planes from Belarus" and calling on EU airlines not to fly over the country. She added that "further economic sanctions will be presented soon."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/24/business/airlines-belarus-air-space/index.html

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Good to see a strong response from the EU over Belarus' hijacking of the Ryanair flight.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Monday said the bloc is "closing our airspace to planes from Belarus" and calling on EU airlines not to fly over the country. She added that "further economic sanctions will be presented soon."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/24/business/airlines-belarus-air-space/index.html

Interesting to see only Singapore Airlines mentioned as non-EU airline avoiding Belarus airspace. I'd be interested to learn about THAI, EVA and China Airlines as a lot of their routes to western Europe overfly Belarus.

18 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Interesting to see only Singapore Airlines mentioned as non-EU airline avoiding Belarus airspace. I'd be interested to learn about THAI, EVA and China Airlines as a lot of their routes to western Europe overfly Belarus.

Watching FlightRadar24 earlier. A Couple of different Chinese airlines flying over Belarus, as well as Ethiopian and Qatar Airways Cargo flights too! Chinese flights seemed to have been passenger flights and not Cargo.

22 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Watching FlightRadar24 earlier. A Couple of different Chinese airlines flying over Belarus, as well as Ethiopian and Qatar Airways Cargo flights too! Chinese flights seemed to have been passenger flights and not Cargo.

Chinese or Taiwanese? China Airlines is the Taiwanese flag carrier.

4 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Chinese! Air China and China Eastern

From those I wouldn't expect anything different until that border is closed, just like Lithuania did, prohibiting approach to Vilnius International Airport through Belarus airspace.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:33 AM, biggles said:

They are trying to say they landed because of a bomb scare. What they dont say, and it is quite obvious from the above map, the diversion to Minsk was longer than going to the nearest airport which was their destination anyway. So the risk to passengers was increased. 

If there is a threat to an aircraft they won't always head to the nearest airport, but to one that is better suited to deal with the threat.  I don't know about the airports in this story, but in the UK aircraft will go to Stansted rather than any of the other London airports.

1 hour ago, KWA said:

If there is a threat to an aircraft they won't always head to the nearest airport, but to one that is better suited to deal with the threat.  I don't know about the airports in this story, but in the UK aircraft will go to Stansted rather than any of the other London airports.

True, but in case of a bomb thread, the airplane will normally head to the nearest (measured in flight time) airport capable of handling the aircraft. As it already was in nearly direct descend to the international airport of Vilnius, diverting to Minsk was at the very least highly questionable. Besides that, I rate the ability of Belarus to handle any threat to an aircraft as way below that of Lithuania.

• Like 1