Jump to content

Outlook or Edge ?


Pumpuynarak
 Share

Recommended Posts

As is the norm for me being the world's No 1 Com Dino i resist any change to my PC set up. I recently installed W10 (or rather BM Miko did👍) and i got offered Edge email.

What should i do, are there any benefits to Edge ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

edge is a webbrowser (like Chrome) - it is a very good webbrower - more superior than Chrome (its built off the same core engine but less memory hungry).

 

Outlook is an email client. Do you have office installed on your machine?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Chappo said:

edge is a webbrowser (like Chrome) - it is a very good webbrower - more superior than Chrome (its built off the same core engine but less memory hungry).

 

Outlook is an email client. Do you have office installed on your machine?

Probably means Outlook Lite which was browser (IE) based.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Chappo said:

edge is a webbrowser (like Chrome) - it is a very good webbrower - more superior than Chrome (its built off the same core engine but less memory hungry).

 

Outlook is an email client. Do you have office installed on your machine?

 

1 minute ago, fygjam said:

Probably means Outlook Lite which was browser (IE) based.

 

Now i'm really confused, i thought Edge was an email system because when i mentioned it to a mate thats what he said he had changed to when updating to W10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

 

Now i'm really confused, i thought Edge was an email system because when i mentioned it to a mate thats what he said he had changed to when updating to W10.

Edge is the new browser from MS which is replacing IE.

I assume that they (MS) introduced a new email client to go with Edge to replace Outlook Lite which went with IE.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Edge is the new browser from MS which is replacing IE.

I assume that they (MS) introduced a new email client to go with Edge to replace Outlook Lite which went with IE.

 

So would i be better off with Edge ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So would i be better off with Edge ?

As I say, I haven't used it but it seems like it allows for more/different email accounts (gmail, yahoo etc) than just HotMail/Outlook.

The second thing is open the Edge browser and mail is opened as well, if you like convenience. Just integrating it with browsing.

The reason from the MS point of view is that it locks you into the Edge browser which no doubt gives MS more opportunity to target ads/marketing at you. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, fygjam said:

As I say, I haven't used it but it seems like it allows for more/different email accounts (gmail, yahoo etc) than just HotMail/Outlook.

The second thing is open the Edge browser and mail is opened as well, if you like convenience. Just integrating it with browsing.

The reason from the MS point of view is that it locks you into the Edge browser which no doubt gives MS more opportunity to target ads/marketing at you. 

 

Thanks, i think i'll leave well alone lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

edge is a webbrowser and not an email client 🙂 

You can use edge to access your webmail accounts (such as www.outlook.com / www.gmail.com www.rackspace.com / www.office365.com)


it most certainly is worth updating as the orignial internet explorer is being deprecated. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Chappo said:

edge is a webbrowser and not an email client 🙂 

You can use edge to access your webmail accounts (such as www.outlook.com / www.gmail.com www.rackspace.com / www.office365.com)


it most certainly is worth updating as the orignial internet explorer is being deprecated. 🙂

Thanks for your post, it took me years to "update" to W10 from W7 so i reckon i've got at least 5 years to think about it lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for your post, it took me years to "update" to W10 from W7 so i reckon i've got at least 5 years to think about it lol 

Too bad you didn't wait a bit longer on the update to W10 since MS released Windows 11 today for those in the Windows Insider group. General release for everyone else will be later this year.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Too bad you didn't wait a bit longer on the update to W10 since MS released Windows 11 today for those in the Windows Insider group. General release for everyone else will be later this year.

from what hes indicating i think his pc will be too old to run Win11 🙂

 

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For email using a client (so not webmail using a browser), I generally recommend Thunderbird, it is free and allows you to access multiple email accounts at once. I've been using it for about 16.5 years now and I install it on all PCs/laptops I maintain (my wife, my son, my mother and her husband).

  • Great Info 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have used Outlook as an email since Hotmail transfered my account there. Had no problems ever, and seems secure. 

Since I purchased my new lappy 6 months ago, Microsoft has tried to boss me around a bit. I don't use Edge and stick with Google Chrome. 

I also get slightly pissed off with Windows 10 update, so I switch them off automatically. Each time there is an updates it eats into memory. I am sure there is, a way to clean up the old files left behind but I just want my laptop to do the things I need to do and boot up lightening fast, which it does. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have used Outlook as an email since Hotmail transfered my account there. Had no problems ever, and seems secure. 

Since I purchased my new lappy 6 months ago, Microsoft has tried to boss me around a bit. I don't use Edge and stick with Google Chrome. 

I also get slightly pissed off with Windows 10 update, so I switch them off automatically. Each time there is an updates it eats into memory. I am sure there is, a way to clean up the old files left behind but I just want my laptop to do the things I need to do and boot up lightening fast, which it does. 

I tried to do that on a mates PC, but couldn't work out how to do it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edge is all in Thai for me and I don't know what to click on to change it into English. Everything else on my laptop is in English so f**k it I leave it alone! 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

Edge is all in Thai for me and I don't know what to click on to change it into English. Everything else on my laptop is in English so f**k it I leave it alone! 🤣

copy and paste into edge url bar: edge://settings/languages

the setting page is most likely in thai, but it should say (maybe) "english" somewhere, maybe written in thai, maybe not. If you manage to locate where it says "english" click on the 3 dots next to it and then click on the arrow pointing upward in the popup menu.... close browser and open browser again.... if you did it correctly it should now be in english.

  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

copy and paste into edge url bar: edge://settings/languages

the setting page is most likely in thai, but it should say (maybe) "english" somewhere, maybe written in thai, maybe not. If you manage to locate where it says "english" click on the 3 dots next to it and then click on the arrow pointing upward in the popup menu.... close browser and open browser again.... if you did it correctly it should now be in english.

Eureka!

Muchas gracias mon petit choux fleure.:default_goodjob:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

We have something in common alongside our desire for Thai beauties lol

555555555

I have to admit that I am fairly tech savvy, although no expert on software!  A friend who is, told me that Microsoft removed the ability to allow you to do it, so I gave up.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, boydeste said:

Ah, that explains it, my mate has the Home version.

You may have found out already, for Home version you can pause for 7 days - rinse and repeat or up to 35days. I used several 7 day delays when Version 2004 was offered, I like to wait till the bugs are fixed. It now says I can download and install Version 21H1 when I'm ready.

Search 'pause updates'

pause1.JPG

Advanced options:

pause2.JPG

pause3.JPG

 

Hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs  :default_biggrin:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bob lt said:

You may have found out already, for Home version you can pause for 7 days - rinse and repeat or up to 35days. I used several 7 day delays when Version 2004 was offered, I like to wait till the bugs are fixed. It now says I can download and install Version 21H1 when I'm ready.

Search 'pause updates'

pause1.JPG

Advanced options:

pause2.JPG

pause3.JPG

 

Hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs  :default_biggrin:

Unfortunately you are LOL, but all info is good info!

I actually downloaded the 21H1 update this afternoon for him and did a few other tweeks.

He manages to cause all sorts of problems, quite how he does it I don't know but it gives me a few headaches now and again. I run W7 Pro, so find navigating W10 a pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...