Getting used to Life back in the UK

1 hour ago, Butch said:

It is a shocker and you have my sympathy, some aspects of life in the UK can be relatively reasonable (healthcare) but others not so much. Don't go to a Fish and Chip shop, the price of cod will knock you sideways!.

One question though Jambo, if, for example some one has been living in Thailand since, say 2005, and getting their state pension paid but not the yearly increments (fixed at the amount it was at 05), when they return to the UK do you know if it then gets re assessed so when they return to Thailand the pension is then at the current rate?.

Fish and chips really? The price is usually in the £7-9 range which seems pretty reasonable compared to other take away food IMO. I can get cheaper stuff but it is usually rubbish……

8 hours ago, Sangsom said:

Fish and chips really? The price is usually in the £7-9 range which seems pretty reasonable compared to other take away food IMO. I can get cheaper stuff but it is usually rubbish……

Bloody struth 7-9GBP !!! i have'nt been back to the UK for 11 years and by the looks of those prices i won't ever be going back. All my family and friends visit wifey and i here in Thailand so no need to visit the full up with illegal immigrants purporting to be asylum seekers UK lol 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Butch said:

It is a shocker and you have my sympathy, some aspects of life in the UK can be relatively reasonable (healthcare) but others not so much. Don't go to a Fish and Chip shop, the price of cod will knock you sideways!.

One question though Jambo, if, for example some one has been living in Thailand since, say 2005, and getting their state pension paid but not the yearly increments (fixed at the amount it was at 05), when they return to the UK do you know if it then gets re assessed so when they return to Thailand the pension is then at the current rate?.

I'll throw my 5 eggs in Butch, bloody good question. I believe what you say is correct, it gets re-assessed and if you then return to Thailand it remains at the re-assessed level without any future increases. You will have to convince the DWP that you are returning to take up permanent residence in the UK by way of various documented means, they don't make it easy !!!

• Great Info 1

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'll throw my 5 eggs in Butch, bloody good question. I believe what you say is correct, it gets re-assessed and if you then return to Thailand it remains at the re-assessed level without any future increases. You will have to convince the DWP that you are returning to take up permanent residence in the UK by way of various documented means, they don't make it easy !!!

That is correct and the overseas pension department you deal with over the phone when advising you have returned to the UK are extremely efficient.

They made my first 4 weekly payment into my new UK account two days early at the increased rate and included an additional 2 weeks increase from the date I returned to the UK having already paid the previous "month's" into my Thai account.

My personal pension provider even managed to pay my quarterly pension into my new account having been told to hold onto it until I gave them the new account details. Given they usually f**k up anything that requires manual intervention that was quite a result.

Having constantly battled with Thai banks over the years I have to say that dealing with my now local branch of the Bank of Scotland has been like a breath of fresh air. Their staff could not have been more helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

They made my first 4 weekly payment into my new UK account two days early at the increased rate and included an additional 2 weeks increase from the date I returned to the UK having already paid the previous "month's" into my Thai account

There is some very good information in this thread, thanks.

I realise that I'm asking a question about private matters but as it is related to the Government pension rather than a private pension I'll crack on with the question anyway!

What was the increase in pension paid from 2005 to the new pension rate this year ??

EDIT = Google says that it is 55 quid a week difference!! I honestly didn't expect it to be that much ! That's about 10,000 Baht a Month !!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

EDIT = Google says that it is 55 quid a week difference!! I honestly didn't expect it to be that much ! That's about 10,000 Baht a Month !!

That's a couple of extra ST's a week , enough to put a spring in any pensioners step 😉 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3

For young Jambo that pension increase will go on some monthly Arsenal subscription channel.

Anyway like Dangleberries I agree very informative.

So basically you come back to the UK after running entertainment venues in LOS.

You say you're back and pension gets bunced up ???

No minimum stay in Sweatie land even your posh bit ???

What a wonderful country we still are .... fascinating thread.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Freee!! said:

When residing in some other countries your UK pension gets indexed every year, ......... 

Yes, countries with which the UK has appropriate Social Security Agreements. That does not include Thailand. (State pension, that is.) 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Freee!! said:

When residing in some other countries your UK pension gets indexed every year, he missed out on that.

That is also correct.

My increase since I returned was an additional 45 pounds per week to a total of 654 pounds every 4 weeks. I would hate to have to try to  live on that as sole income but it covers my basic living expenses as far as accommodation etc is concerned.

How the TV Licensing mob tracked me down by name so quickly is surprising and I am already back on the Electoral Register. I think I last voted for the  "Monster Raving Loony" party although Screaming Lord Sutch was never as loony as Boris.

Waiting to be called up for my second Astra Zeneca jag.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Jambo said:

My increase since I returned was an additional 45 pounds per week to a total of 654 pounds every 4 weeks. I would hate to have to try to  live on that as sole income but it covers my basic living expenses as far as accommodation etc is concerned.

I have just logged into my Government Gateway Account and next year I will be entitled to 140 quid a week (560 quid/4 weeks) because the qualifying period increased after I stopped  contributing - bastards. With my Army Pension (which is indexed linked) I'll get 1.200 quid a month. Plenty to live off here but no way in UK ..

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

12 pounds for about 8 minutes with the electric scalping clippers!

80 Baht,  5 minutes walk away. Number 1 at the sides, Number 2 on top, nicely shaved around the edges, ears trimmed, nose trimmed, tache trimmed. 30 minutes done and dusted....

I think that you look like a very young SAF by the way !!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jambo said:

Got scalped yesterday in less than 10 minutes at a cost of 12 pounds

When i left the UK 14 years ago i had been paying 15GBP for my monthly scalping and my hairdresser was'nt a fashionable hiso place. What did they use, gardening shears ?  LOL

13 hours ago, Jambo said:

Got scalped yesterday in less than 10 minutes at a cost of 12 pounds by a  ginger headed "weegie" squaw who obviously has something against somebody with a posh cockney accent.

IMG_20210723_095728.jpg

I showed her a photo on my phone of me with my Jack Grealish/Peaky Blinders cut of a year ago. She studied it, gave due consideration and then muttered in "weegie" something about a number 1 or a number 2 and then proceeded to give me the quickest and shortest cut I have ever had in my life.

Both my daughters thought the cut was great but they are both married to slap heads so lack credibility. 🤣

Historically gents’ barbers were small businesses where ‘the barber’ owned the business and employed usually one or two juniors or trainees.  That model seems to have given way to a sort of self employed type model, where barbers, usually NVQ 3 trained pay a certain amount to rent a chair in the shop; each then keeps his/her own takings.  

I only pay £5 for a hair cut, but I normally have a short fairly basic hair style.  During lockdown I used my own electric hair clippers so my haircut was probably below perfect but I got better the more practice I got.

My last two hair cuts were 100 baht in Soi Buakhao plus 50 baht tip and I admit they were better than the ones I was doing myself.

The below in Harrogate is the exception rather than the rule.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, john luke said:

Historically gents’ barbers were small businesses where ‘the barber’ owned the business and employed usually one or two juniors or trainees.  That model seems to have given way to a sort of self employed type model, where barbers, usually NVQ 3 trained pay a certain amount to rent a chair in the shop; each then keeps his/her own takings.  

I only pay £5 for a hair cut, but I normally have a short fairly basic hair style.  During lockdown I used my own electric hair clippers so my haircut was probably below perfect but I got better the more practice I got.

My last two hair cuts were 100 baht in Soi Buakhao plus 50 baht tip and I admit they were better than the ones I was doing myself.

The below in Harrogate is the exception rather than the rule.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had the same lady at "Hair to Hair" (side of Tukcom) named "Da" who cut my hair literally for years in Pattaya. Most recent basic cost was 260 baht (?) which included two washes.

I always gave her a 100 baht tip because she cut my hair well and thought my natural hair color was lovely. Hairdresser's bagwan I know but my hairdresser was different! 🤣

I am living in Bathgate which has no less than three "Turkish Hairdresser" establishments in the Town and they all charge £14 for a men's haircut. They seem to specialize in weird hairstyles for teenagers so I gave them all a miss even though they do offer an "Old Farts" discount at £10. I probably would have had to produce my Bus Pass to prove I qualified for the discount. 😄

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, Jambo said:

It still comes as a shock to me to realize just how much prices have gone up in the UK since I last visited.

Just been to sort out my dentist treatment scheme and filled the car with petrol on the way back.  Two you want to avoid from a cost point of view.

• Haha 2

I wear monthly contact lenses and my last set are due to be replaced on the 1st August. So two days ago I called into an opticians in Livingston and requested two boxes of monthly contact lenses being one each of -4.00 and -4.50.

Simple, yes?

No chance!

I am told that I will need to have a full eye test before they can supply such lenses and the first available appointment is in October thanks to the back log caused by covid.

I walk out and go 50 yards further into the Shopping center to the next opticians. I explain what happened at the previous opticians only to be told that they were in exactly the same position EXCEPT they are pissed off at "customers" not bothering to turn up for their appointment due to registering at multiple different opticians. I throw myself at their mercy and low and behold they find me an appointment for 2.15pm TODAY.

The good news is that the eye test is free being part of the NHS with whom I am now once again registered.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not wishing to pre empt @Jambo s answer, I think he will be OK with things during summer and into Autumn.  Christmas will then cheer things up, however I think winter in UK, particularly Scotland will come as a shock in January and Thailand cravings may then arise.

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

How long you planning on stayin mate ?

How long is a piece of string?

22 hours ago, Jambo said:

I wear monthly contact lenses and my last set are due to be replaced on the 1st August. So two days ago I called into an opticians in Livingston and requested two boxes of monthly contact lenses being one each of -4.00 and -4.50.

Simple, yes?

No chance!

I am told that I will need to have a full eye test before they can supply such lenses and the first available appointment is in October thanks to the back log caused by covid.

I walk out and go 50 yards further into the Shopping center to the next opticians. I explain what happened at the previous opticians only to be told that they were in exactly the same position EXCEPT they are pissed off at "customers" not bothering to turn up for their appointment due to registering at multiple different opticians. I throw myself at their mercy and low and behold they find me an appointment for 2.15pm TODAY.

The good news is that the eye test is free being part of the NHS with whom I am now once again registered.

I had my eye test yesterday which to say was thorough and extensive is an understatement.

Now before I comment on the result I would mention that less than 6 months ago I had what was supposed to be a full eye test in Thailand. Nothing abnormal was discovered.

Yesterday they found I had the start of cataracts in both eyes but that was deemed to be almost normal in somebody of my age and does not cause concern. Of more concern was what they described as a large "freckle" in my right eye. The lady described the size by using the nail end of her little finger.

She hoped that this "freckle" would not prove to be serious as it had obviously been in my eye "for some considerable time". Nevertheless, serious enough to refer me to St. John's Hospital for a scan. She warned me that as it was not life threatening the waiting period at the hospital likely to be 4 months or so for an appointment.

I am beginning to feel like I am becoming a medical tourist as that makes two hospital appointments I am waiting to receive. Given I paid NI contributions for 40 years and UK tax for longer than that I do not feel I am not entitled to such treatment on the NHS.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:12 PM, Jambo said:

Got scalped yesterday in less than 10 minutes at a cost of 12 pounds by a  ginger headed "weegie" squaw who obviously has something against somebody with a posh cockney accent.

IMG_20210723_095728.jpg

I showed her a photo on my phone of me with my Jack Grealish/Peaky Blinders cut of a year ago. She studied it, gave due consideration and then muttered in "weegie" something about a number 1 or a number 2 and then proceeded to give me the quickest and shortest cut I have ever had in my life.

Both my daughters thought the cut was great but they are both married to slap heads so lack credibility. 🤣

Hell you really do look like a guy that would wear shoes like these. As My good friend Mickjn posted on the secrets forum. He said that it looks like Jambo made those himself if i owned those i would shit in one and cover it with the other. :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

2015-08-20 13.58.18.jpeg

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Hell you really do look like a guy that would wear shoes like these. As My good friend Mickjn posted on the secrets forum. He said that it looks like Jambo made those himself if i owned those i would shit in one and cover it with the other. :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

2015-08-20 13.58.18.jpeg

Bless MickJn ...... is there a left one of these or did he just make one ?? Maybe this is the left one ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2