Campers, Caravans, Trailers, RVs - Back to the Future & Beyond.

lazarus

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

This Canuck is kind of funny. He seems to do well in this little rig....

He's a little guy...have to be to not go crazy bumping around in a mini-van.

The Transit/Sprinter Conversion is cool...but $150+K...ouch.

I have a friend selling a 2000 Ford V8 Passenger Conversion Van for $3000...160,00 miles...well-maintained. More in my budget...I'd buy it from her but don't have the time to get it (north of Spokane WA). I think if you added about $10K it could be very nice.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, Glasseye said:

Thanks much to both of you guys ! Cheers !

The only place I have been able to find BeerLao in CM is at Mad Dog pizza. I go there often.

I was drinking it in Zoe Yellow bar area in CM mate whilst listening to the live band.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:38 AM, lazarus said:

Plenty of place to park & relax. Lots of people doing it...not just for leisure but also as migrant workers.

I watched this twice....brilliant movie. Frances McDormand is the equal to Streep in American cinema. Won her 3rd Best Actress Oscar for this role. I rode some of the roads in this movie and I can confirm from my recent travels this summer, that a whole bunch of Americans of all ages, not just retirees, are leaving behind the city and suburban living for a life on the road and staying in various RV parks and campsites. 

Numerous YT vids about that type of lifestyle. As a single guy, I've even thought about it. That Class C you posted previous is exactly what would suit me just fine. Live in that and travel for 6 months a year and Thailand, the Caribbean or wherever, the other 6.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What are the laws in the US regarding van life?. Does it vary from state to state or do the laws of the state which your vehicle is registered to apply?.

for example, my RV is registered / insured / licensed in, say, Idaho, but I spend all year in Connecticut and make an RV park in Connecticut my home, do I need to change my Registration etc?.

Is there anything stopping someone in a decent sized RV with say, extended fuel capacity or even maybe a motorbike attached for supply runs, stopping somewhere really remote and living there full time, off grid and under the radar?.

1 minute ago, Butch said:

What are the laws in the US regarding van life?. Does it vary from state to state or do the laws of the state which your vehicle is registered to apply?.

Normally you must register a vehicle in the state that issues your driver's license. Most states require a physical address for a DL (but mail can be delivered to a post office box). If you move to a new state you are required change your DL within a set period of time. That's the basics but yes... 50 states = 50 different sets of laws.

14 minutes ago, Butch said:

for example, my RV is registered / insured / licensed in, say, Idaho, but I spend all year in Connecticut and make an RV park in Connecticut my home, do I need to change my Registration etc?.

Technically, it would not be allowed but there are many ways around it. 

5 minutes ago, Butch said:

Is there anything stopping someone in a decent sized RV with say, extended fuel capacity or even maybe a motorbike attached for supply runs, stopping somewhere really remote and living there full time, off grid and under the radar?.

You can get away with it until someone catches you. On private property you would be trespassing if you did not have permission. On some public property (e.g., national forests, BLM land) you may be able to "camp" but usually for a limited amount of time (e.g., 14 days). Of course people will try to get away with just about anything.

In most cities there are parking limitations. Where I live you cannot by law park any vehicle for more than 72 hours without moving it. This is usually only enforced if someone complains. In some parts of my city larger vehicles cannot be parked at all (or overnight). That said there are thousands of people living in RVs and cars here. Some only move a few yards every three days.

This is one near my home that I saw marked for potential towing last week...

20211006_145352.jpg

20211006_145402.jpg

• Great Info 1