Campers, Caravans, Trailers, RVs - Back to the Future & Beyond.

lazarus

10 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Many of these 'rebuild" vids suck. But, this is a good one.

Very nice set up.

I wish I had those skills !

Had the same thoughts watching the vid. Quite a few skills involved in the rebuild; metal working, wood working, and even sewing. It's also a well thought out design.

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Had the same thoughts watching the vid. Quite a few skills involved in the rebuild; metal working, wood working, and even sewing. It's also a well thought out design.

The guy is fairly young also. I'd say he most likely has a reasonably high I.Q.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Several van conversions highlighted in this article.

The travelers who created their own cozy campervans

I like the story about the woman in Northern Ireland...she even builds out 'horse boxes'...

A lot cheaper than buying a new Merc Sprinter. Just need an old Ford pickup tom pull it around. 😉

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbnWtydlrTN/

She's a bit of a social media sensation.

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

I Lived the #VanLife. It Wasn’t Pretty.
The writer Caity Weaver’s pursuit of the manifest destiny of the millennial generation ended up looking better in the photos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/20/magazine/van-life-dwelling.html

From the beginning of the article I could tell the author wasn't suited to the trials and tribulations of life on the road. Not sure how she could continue to think it was a good idea after writing, "I had nearly embarked on a different odyssey — one better suited to someone with a poor sense of direction, who is terrified of driving".

I'm surprised she didn't cut the trip short, especially after hooking up with a guy she had no experience traveling with in the close confines of a campervan. What she didn't write about was the tension and bickering that probably happened after a few days on the road together.

In my 20's I used to take long weekend trips from my home in Wisconsin to the SE, or week long trips to the West to run some of the best whitewater in the country. I, and few of my boating buddies had converted vans we traveled and lived in. We soon learned to recognize personality traits in others that weren't suited for the extended, close confines of long road trips. They either were never invited to join us, or after the first trip were excluded from future trips.

As for the converted vans we had, they were nothing like the high end stuff posted in this topic. Mine was a Ford Econoline cargo van that I installed a simple platform bed in with storage underneath for our gear and roof racks for our kayaks and C-boats on top. That and cheap cloth curtains were the extent of the conversion to the vans. Some great memories from those trips though.

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

From the beginning of the article I could tell the author wasn't suited to the trials and tribulations of life on the road.

Yeah...I think in some ways it was intended to be a sardonic take on #vanlife. Poking fun at it as a way to escape urban reality.

When I was a river guide we'd take 24 people for six day trips on a wilderness river. The non-campers were usually sorted out on day#1...and quickly became known as "high maintenance."

Edited by lazarus
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was my only attempt at van life - a '74 Suburban 4x4 that I bought in '77 and fixed up a little to camp in; I took out the back seat and set up a bed and my mother made up some curtains for me. I added the bike carriers on the back bumper so I could take my dirt bike with me but this didn't work so well when the gravel roads of the time were muddy, as they were on the trip when this photo was taken:

suburban-77.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 4:45 AM, thegrogmonster said:

Got the caravan home and now doing a few things before I start using it. Had some good rain overnight and no signs of any leaks so that’s a positive.

image.jpeg

Just spent 10 nights in my caravan. Had an enjoyable time. My mate where I have the caravan has a couple of boats so we spent 4 days out on the water. We may even take some fishing rods next time.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2022 at 8:07 AM, maipenrai said:

This was my only attempt at van life - a '74 Suburban 4x4 that I bought in '77 and fixed up a little to camp in; I took out the back seat and set up a bed and my mother made up some curtains for me. I added the bike carriers on the back bumper so I could take my dirt bike with me but this didn't work so well when the gravel roads of the time were muddy, as they were on the trip when this photo was taken:

suburban-77.jpg

Looks comfy....  🤪