Campers, Caravans, Trailers, RVs - Back to the Future & Beyond.

lazarus

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Have you witnessed any "smash and grabs" of RV's ?    lol

Not so much. Mostly SUVs & hatchbacks. Perps like to break a window, grab it and go.

There's even been some where women get in their car at a shopping center, place their purse on the passenger side and a perp breaks the window and grabs it. Happens a lot to 'rich looking' Asian women (lots of 'em here)...

I never leave anything in my car.

53 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Not so much. Mostly SUVs & hatchbacks. Perps like to break a window, grab it and go.

There's even been some where women get in their car at a shopping center, place their purse on the passenger side and a perp breaks the window and grabs it. Happens a lot to 'rich looking' Asian women (lots of 'em here)...

I never leave anything in my car.

That's why they say good idea to put purse and shit like that in the trunk or out of view. Most people never figure this stuff out until it's too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Glasseye said:

That's why they say good idea to put purse and shit like that in the trunk or out of view. Most people never figure this stuff out until it's too late.

Yep, situational awareness is the key. I live defensively nowadays. Way too many mentally ill, drugged-up, homeless people roaming the streets here, especially at night.

Yet, other than the homelessness it was worse in the past. Unfortunately, there's now a very large "street" class that will never be housed except for institutional settings.

Great place to live if you make it work. Living close to the ocean is incredible. Just have to know the game so to speak to get by.

Edited by lazarus
cleaned it up a bit...
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

Yep, situational awareness is the key. I live defensively nowadays. Way too many mentally ill, drugged-up, homeless people roaming the streets here, especially at night.

Yet, other than the homelessness it was worse in the past. Unfortunately, there's now a very large "street" class that will never be housed except for institutional settings.

Great place to live if you make it work. Living close to the ocean is incredible. Just have to know the game so to speak to get by.

Always being aware is key, probably the number one "rule". Keeping spatial distance from anyone also key.

Trusting your instincts and street smarts, huge.

Fight or flight... I have always been a big believer in flight, get out of the situation as quickly and safely as you can.

If you ever find yourself in a bad situation, hope that you have witnesses. Try to I,D, them before they spit the scene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

0B0A8020.jpg

0B0A8021.jpg

The new and the old; actually the new is not so new; it was first registered in 2017, but obviously well maintained, whilst  the older vehicle was registered in 1987.  Ironically both vehicles parked adjacent to each other near Leeds and Liverpool canal, Calverley.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spotted this monster at my local service station the other day - was tempted to ask the driver if he'd taken a wrong turn at Timbuktu; these things may be just the ticket for African adventures but they are way overkill for our roads in Canada:

img_1570.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Lantern said:

^ Would be interesting to see how it all packs up for moving to the next spot.

I was wondering how long it would take to erect, and the steps required to raise the 2nd floor platform into position. Doubt it could be done by one person, unless they had a crane handy. 

9 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I was wondering how long it would take to erect, and the steps required to raise the 2nd floor platform into position. Doubt it could be done by one person, unless they had a crane handy. 

Looks to me like the upper floor hinges and the front part folds over the back to form the roof of the rig. The poles and tarps collapse and are stored on top. The upper enclosure is a simple tent and the lower enclosure (toilet) a tarp.

Might primarily be a safari viewing rig rather than a stand alone travel camper. I found a lot of other ones but nothing for serious road camping that looked like this.

. . .

A few more rigs from this site: https://landcruisingadventure.com/land-rover-vs-land-cruiser-part-1-land-rover/

Image-G-Bell-1-of-1-10.jpg

cbw_20200829_NL_A0525.jpg

@Marit-van-Meekeren2.jpg

1R.jpg

• Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Looks to me like the upper floor hinges and the front part folds over the back to form the roof of the rig. The poles and tarps collapse and are stored on top. The upper enclosure is a simple tent and the lower enclosure (toilet) a tarp.

I was thinking about having four poles with hinged footplates that you place in front each wheel then drive onto them. Stick wedges for and aft of the wheels and you have stability. A couple of cross pieces up top easy to slot in. One person could do the frame work in 30 minutes.

f**k the fancy staircase and you've got yourself a camper!