How Essential are the bars being open to your visit to Pattaya?

Jambo

15 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I put up with a week of the original bar closures in March of last year before I left Thailand and I have no desire of repeating the experience - if the bars and other entertainment venues are not open, I am simply not interested in going; I have waited this long and if I have to wait another couple of months for the Thai authorities to get their act together, so be it - it isn't going to kill me. 

What a really sensible post and I am sure that the vast majority of western "tourists" would agree with you.

I just hope this week's arrivals are simply expats etc returning to Thailand and not tourists expecting wine, women and song because the latter are going to be sadly disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I put up with a week of the original bar closures in March of last year before I left Thailand and I have no desire of repeating the experience

And of course we have to remind ourselves of the complete ban on alcohol last year. Anywhere. Anytime. No transportation of alcohol even bringing it from a mate's house!

Will it happen again? If so what would be the consequences ????

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

Nanny dictatorship...

But of course...it's OK to drink as much lao khao as possible back on the farm and ride home on your motorbike.

. . .

PRETTY PLEASE! GOV’T URGES TOURISTS TO DRINK RESPONSIBLY IN PANDEMIC

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/11/04/pretty-please-govt-urges-tourists-to-drink-responsibly-in-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR39ZZY6QGdWrlcs6wBft3PkAbOXf2mtMvWrbch9KYvMpNcIEzQH8Q3uWDY

BANGKOK — The Department of Health on Thursday said that restaurants allowed to serve alcohol in key tourist destinations must do so responsibly in order to avoid a new cluster of coronavirus infections.

The department said in a press release that restaurants must not serve booze after the allowed hours — that is, 9 pm — while customers should refrain from binge drinking, since the behaviour could lead to flouting safety regulations and COVID-19 measures.

Only restaurants accredited with the SHA system by the authorities in Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga are currently allowed to serve alcohol to customers onsite until 9pm.

The Director-General of the Department of Health said officials have experienced overall compliance from restaurant owners in terms of health and booze regulations so far. However, officials believe that many restaurants and customers may become too lenient with the restrictions and social distancing rules.

In the press release, the department said intoxicated people do not only put themselves and others at risk from coronavirus infection, but they also have lowered cognitive abilities that may cause accidents.

Therefore, restaurants are encouraged to exercise caution in following the rules that provincial communicable diseases committees lay out, prevent overcrowding and lack of safe social distancing, and abide by all drinking curfews enacted.

Capture1.JPG

On 11/2/2021 at 1:12 AM, Jambo said:

I would like to think that you were being ironic, amusing, tongue in cheek?

Except I fear you actually believe what you stated.

"Lets book two weeks in Pattaya to go shopping" 🤣

Trust me, the overwhelming number of visitors from the "western" world see having a few (often a good few) alcoholic drinks with friends both old and new in Pattaya's bars, clubs and GoGo's as an essential part of the whole  package. The continued absence of such will continue to have the opposite effect.

Yup, leaving tomorrow for San Diego.  Will walk over to Mexico and have my buddy who’s working remotely in TJ pick me up at the boarder.   Spend some time eating and drinking in Tijuana and hitting the bars.  After a week of that nonsense, will visit some retired friends in Ensenada & Rosarito. After that, fly over to Puerto Vallarta to see a college buddy and spend some time by the beach, the sun and umbrella drinks.  Probably bars at night.  

…will evaluate the situation in LOS in Dec and decide then whether I come back this high season or hold off further

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not my cup of tea...

Pattaya pub raided, customers arrested

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/2209651/pattaya-pub-raided-customers-arrested

... Police found about 30 customers, Thais and foreigners, dancing to the music. Many appeared to have been drinking.

They ordered the music turned off. A check around the tables found alcoholic drinks served in plastic cups...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Not my cup of tea...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/2209651/pattaya-pub-raided-customers-arrested

... Police found about 30 customers, Thais and foreigners, dancing to the music. Many appeared to have been drinking.

They ordered the music turned off. A check around the tables found alcoholic drinks served in plastic cups...

Worthy of note, I think is that the police appear to be charging suspects with an offence under the Covid restrictions, rather than under any liquor licensing laws.

6 hours ago, lazarus said:

Not my cup of tea...

Place in question has glass walls and is a couple of doors down from the police station... not exactly subtle  555

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

Just watched NDTVi on Youtube which touched on this in part.

Said Lisa on the Beach had been opened 3 or 4 nights serving booze before it was raided.

I'm not in Pattaya atm so I don't know, but that is what was said ?

Another comment was there were guy(s) 'arrested' in the raid who were on their first night out from SHA ?

Come to Pattaya and get arrested.... (yeah there is a counter argument)

So...how important is it it that Bars are open in Pattaya? Forget the place if its not IMO.

Another comment made was "Pattaya has been well and truly put in its place" - ie by Phuket etc being 'open' while Pattaya is open but dry.

Then the are the quiet bars not in busy areas etc serving grog.

Its a farce!

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am in Bangkok for a few days and things are really opening up here Soi 4 bars morning night Strikers Hillary's and others are wide open and busy lots of girls lots of customers. Still no Nana in cowboy but the rest of the town is busy as well. I've been on a SkyTrain a few times during non-peak hour and still had to stand up. I'm staying near soi 11 and Sukhumvit I went out last night to get something at 7-Eleven and the traffic was unbelievable. It will happen in Pattaya at some point sooner than later I believe.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I am in Bangkok for a few days and things are really opening up here Soi 4 bars morning night Strikers Hillary's and others are wide open and busy lots of girls lots of customers. Still no Nana in cowboy but the rest of the town is busy as well. I've been on a SkyTrain a few times during non-peak hour and still had to stand up. I'm staying near soi 11 and Sukhumvit I went out last night to get something at 7-Eleven and the traffic was unbelievable. It will happen in Pattaya at some point sooner than later I believe.

…sooner, like prior to New Year’s sooner??? Or before Chinese NY?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

…sooner, like prior to New Year’s sooner??? Or before Chinese NY?

I feel it's going to happen sometime in December if it doesn't then the whole High season is lost at least if they can open them in December they salvaged some of the high season only a guess of course

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I feel it's going to happen sometime in December if it doesn't then the whole High season is lost at least if they can open them in December they salvaged some of the high season only a guess of course

Do you think it will be done all in one go, Larry, or by allowing restaurants to serve alcohol with a meal first as a trial?

5 minutes ago, john luke said:

Do you think it will be done all in one go, Larry, or by allowing restaurants to serve alcohol with a meal first as a trial?

They have to do restaurants first, and they have to do it now!

My daughter just doesn't seem to understand that this weekend's Music Festival is just that - Music!

Of course her boyfriend and work mates are telling her that they'll "find somewhere" open to have a drink ... ...

Police are just lying in wait for Bangkokians to come down this weekend ... They are hungry too!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

My daughter just doesn't seem to understand that this weekend's Music Festival is just that - Music!

Of course her boyfriend and work mates are telling her that they'll "find somewhere" open to have a drink ... ...

Police are just lying in wait for Bangkokians to come down this weekend ... They are hungry too!!

All down from Bangkok, all jammed together but of course not giving a boost to Pattaya's decreasing numbers of covid cases because you only catch covid in bars.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You Tube videos of Khao San Road and Soi 4 Nana in BKK over the weekend almost looks normal. 

Live bands, dancing, drinking.

And Pattaya the poor syphilitic cousin, cant even have a glass of wine with your dinner.

No idea what is going through the authorities brains. 

PS - Yes i know you can get your "drink" in a coffee mug but seriously.

Edited by Alpha Revolution
added
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yes.... The hungry statement is very spot on.

I would have to say for those there now and those planning on coming anytime soon.... It would be highly recommended that you be on your best behavior. There are certain folks who have had their usual sources of funds dry up significantly for the past couple of years. I would expect they will be looking for opportunities to make up for past deficiencies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alpha Revolution said:

You Tube videos of Khao San Road and Soi 4 Nana in BKK over the weekend almost looks normal. 

Live bands, dancing, drinking.

And Pattaya the poor syphilitic cousin, cant even have a glass of wine with your dinner.

No idea what is going through the authorities brains. 

PS - Yes i know you can get your "drink" in a coffee mug but seriously.

Thailand is governed / controlled by a military junta (Army-led) structured by favoritism (e.g., nepotism, corruption, mindful neglect, etc.)

For the most part the Navy runs/controls Pattaya (the money flow).

In reality though, the Army calls the shots. Nothing happens until they give the green light.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

The High Season is lost anyway, most people book at least a couple of weeks before they go and the current situation is such that they won't (book that is, leave alone going).

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1