Psychedelic San Francisco, The Era, Music, Art, Scene, Hippiedom etc.

CalEden

...shown here are All three of the plates, a separate plate for each color on the poster.

From the interweb...

"What looks a bit like a poster for a carnival actually is Family Dog "Poster From The Past" number #35.
Centrally located here is an engraving of a man hanging from his waist from below a hot-air balloon in a cloud filled sky. A globe with stars on it and several American flags that are also hanging below the balloon. A very bright and cheery piece that unlike so many other posters from the time is quite easy to read. (for a change)! Unlike it's predecessors that are so psychedelic (not that I mind that At All !), I find this piece to be styled in somewhat a Victorian manor or perhaps something out of the Old West...

It was 55 (WHOA) years ago back in 1966, that The Daily Flash, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Country Joe and the Fish, played for two night only at the Avalon Ballroom, here in our beautiful “City by the Bay”. This poster was created by of the two heavy hitters of Rock Art, Stanley Mouse and Alton Kelley…. Mouse Studios! Printed a total of four times including a pirate printing done in England in the early 70's. Still a relatively inexpensive piece from the early part of the FD series.

Also shown here are All three of the plates, a separate plate for each color on the poster.
Great display, I gotta say👍🏼
Up, up and away!
Take a balloon ride with...👁 Professor Poster 👁🎩"

Capture2.JPG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

From the interweb...

There is a heck of a lot going on, and a lot to look at in this "Poster From The Past" so let's get right to it! The central image is a carefully drawn portrait of Native American (perhaps a Chief) with a pair of hands holding a broken arrow, the symbol of unwillingness to make war. Below him is a heart below which is a drawing of another native American wearing buckskin clothing and in an elaborate headdress. Next to him is a nude woman. To the left of that is another heart within which is the man on the Quaker Oats box. To the right is another heart within which are additional Native Americans and yet another heart within which is a human face topped with ram's horns. Pointing in both directions at the bottom are nine arrows.There are a couple of strange looking birds at the top with one hand and one wing that flank the Chief on both sides. This poster is keeping with the Hippie fascination with the Native Americans societies as an idealized back to nature way of life.

It was 51 years ago on this day back in 1970, that Love, Arthur Lee, The James Gang and Black Sabbath, played the first of the two week shows of dance/concerts at the Fillmore West. The second week of shows started on the 26th and included Sha Na Na, Elvin Bishop and Tower of Power. This stunning rock poster was created by the very talented (and great guy t'boot) Norman Orr. and is a double sized as well as a double week poster. It is listed as BG Fillmore numbers #257 & 258 in the series and was printed just once.

Go on ….. Share the Chief! Good Poster, Approved by  🎩~Professor Poster~🎩"

259536694_2006847632806261_7206502954952233101_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2006847636139594&set=a.159077927583250

This poster can still be purchased in very good condition: First printing reduced from $668 to $334 and the second print in mint condition for $20.

Love Poster

Love Poster

• 1st Printing$668$334
  • 2nd Printing$80$20

Norman Orr worked his interests and causes, the plight of the Native American being one of them, into several of his posters. That interest was clear on this large triptych advertising two Fillmore West concerts. The Indian, presenting a broken arrow with his left hand held in the universal symbol for "get lost", was flanked by panels announcing Sha-Na-Na and Love in separate concerts. The birds aside the central figure were a play on the artist's personal motif of two birds guarding or protecting the main collage.

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

...shown here are All three of the plates, a separate plate for each color on the poster.

From the interweb...

"What looks a bit like a poster for a carnival actually is Family Dog "Poster From The Past" number #35.
Centrally located here is an engraving of a man hanging from his waist from below a hot-air balloon in a cloud filled sky. A globe with stars on it and several American flags that are also hanging below the balloon. A very bright and cheery piece that unlike so many other posters from the time is quite easy to read. (for a change)! Unlike it's predecessors that are so psychedelic (not that I mind that At All !), I find this piece to be styled in somewhat a Victorian manor or perhaps something out of the Old West...

It was 55 (WHOA) years ago back in 1966, that The Daily Flash, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Country Joe and the Fish, played for two night only at the Avalon Ballroom, here in our beautiful “City by the Bay”. This poster was created by of the two heavy hitters of Rock Art, Stanley Mouse and Alton Kelley…. Mouse Studios! Printed a total of four times including a pirate printing done in England in the early 70's. Still a relatively inexpensive piece from the early part of the FD series.

Also shown here are All three of the plates, a separate plate for each color on the poster.
Great display, I gotta say👍🏼
Up, up and away!
Take a balloon ride with...👁 Professor Poster 👁🎩"

Capture2.JPG

Laz you are uncanny in your poster topic selection. Back in 66 or 67 when I bought my first four posters this was one of the posters. Must have been doing some major room redecoration at the time. Like many did at the time, I tacked each corner to the wall.

My first BG035 poster and already the 3rd printing!

First Po 1.jpg

Notice the pinholes and the water stain. This poster was rolled up for over 20 years and pressed flat with heavy books for a couple of years. 

Below is both my BG035 posters the 1st print on the right:

First Po 2.jpg

On that trip to the poster shop I bought another poster. I bought this poster because I thought the girl was cool and to me the poster epitomized Psychedelia. 

First Po 3.jpg 

Edited by CalEden

...from the interweb...

"Of ALL the many artists of the mid 1960's that put pen and ink to paper (and there are hundreds) The BIG FIVE are known to stand out far and above the rest. Although now-a-days there sure are a lot of top notch artists out there to be admired, these are the guys that truly DREW THE FACE on Rock & Roll and are second to none. Their artwork graces more posters, album covers, books, magazines etc. than I can possibly count, and hang in many modern art museums in the major capitols of the world. So much of the art that we see in "today's" posters and commercial art in advertising has it's origins with these fellas. They were and are recognized as the origins of the Rock Art Psychedelic Poster Phenomenon.

These are the Big Five poster artists of the San Francisco Rock Art scene that I mention so often in my posts. They are, from left to right,  Wes Wilson, Alton Kelley, Stanley Mouse, Victor Moscoso, and lastly Rick Griffin. Only two are with us and still survive, Mouse and Moscoso. RIP to the others that have past on. 

I am not sure who gets photo credits for this shot or the exact year it was taken, but it sure is a good one. 
If you liked the posters from the 60's, these are the five men that did most of the work that started the ball roll'in. Some are their posters  are on the wall behind them. ENJOY the images and posters that I post. I know they act as a memory catalyst for all of you that enjoyed them the first time around! 

I believe we owe All of the Great artists from those days, (way more than I can mention here), a debt of gratitude wouldn’t you say. 
Thank You So Very Much.👌🏽 Now, go on and enjoy my posts and Let your eyes "Party On"! 
👁👁
Approved with Endless 
Love & Respect from...  💥❣️Professor Poster❣️💥"

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2007577266066631&set=a.159077927583250

259461326_2007577259399965_7135829299444826600_n.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

Uncanny again Laz, The Big 5!

The Big 5 in later years would do poster shows together. They would make a show poster, and each would sign the bottom of the Poster. I have 3 of these posters. Unfortunately, 2 of my 3 are being professionally framed now.

Below is an artist proof (A/P 1) of the ART show:

ART 1.jpg

The other 2 much cooler than this poster.

ART 2.jpg

ART 3.jpg 

• Thumbs Up 1

Your friend has some nice posters.

This is a third print but it's signed by Chet Helms the founder of the Family Dog.

ASound3.jpg

Below Wes Wilson Posters:

ASound1.jpg

The 2 posters on the left are first print posters, there are 3 types of first run posters (printed before the concert). The poster on the right is a third print poster signed by Grace Slick.

ASound2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Always liked this one...

262436724_2014657382025286_1438354794115013461_n.jpg

From the interweb:

"For the central image on this "Poster From The Past" we have a Musketeer type looking 18th century kind of fellow wearing a large floppy plumed hat. He is holding a handkerchief and has big rings on each hand. It seems like the artist Bonnie MacLean has created a character with a face that spews a sort of arrogant decadence. So much for the 60's vibe here! Colors work well just the same.

It was 54 years ago on this day back in 1967 that the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band along with Clear Light and Blue Cheer were playing their first of three nights of dance/concerts at the Fillmore Auditorium here in our City by the Bay. Light show was provided by "Holy See" and was great as usual. This is BG Fillmore poster number #95 in the series and was printed only once."

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2014657388691952&set=a.159077927583250

16 hours ago, lazarus said:

Always liked this one...

262436724_2014657382025286_1438354794115013461_n.jpg

From the interweb:

"For the central image on this "Poster From The Past" we have a Musketeer type looking 18th century kind of fellow wearing a large floppy plumed hat. He is holding a handkerchief and has big rings on each hand. It seems like the artist Bonnie MacLean has created a character with a face that spews a sort of arrogant decadence. So much for the 60's vibe here! Colors work well just the same.

It was 54 years ago on this day back in 1967 that the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band along with Clear Light and Blue Cheer were playing their first of three nights of dance/concerts at the Fillmore Auditorium here in our City by the Bay. Light show was provided by "Holy See" and was great as usual. This is BG Fillmore poster number #95 in the series and was printed only once."

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2014657388691952&set=a.159077927583250

Great Poster, I have a mint first print.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Mr. Bojangles with intro:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2021 at 2:02 PM, CalEden said:

Postcard is worth about $40/$50 retail. It looks like it is in great shape. Could you maybe please take a current photo of the old Dead Victorian. I may also repost the Owsley video.

Walked by there today...

20211201_152330.jpg

20211201_152357.jpg

20211201_152441.jpg

20211201-IMG_0058.jpg

20211201-IMG_0059.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BG095:

ABG.jpg

BG139 Canned Heat, Gordon Lightfoot, Cold Blood; October 3, 1968, Artist Lee Conklin printed the poster out of register to create an LSD Filter effect. 

ABG139.jpg

BG153 Vanilla Fudge, Richie Havens, The Youngbloods, Cold Blood December 31, 1968; Artist Lee Conklin deeply inspired by the Dutch Master Hieronymus Bosch's "Garden Of Earthly Delights. The Bosch inspiration is present in many of Conklin Posters as in BG153.

ABG153.jpg

• Like 1

Incredible thread. I'm in absolute awe of your collection. Im a fan of the era but was only born in 1968 so didnt manage to experience it first hand. Having said that i'm a massive Deadhead have about 90 titles on vinyly and CD plus about 100 shows on cassette tape. Got to see them on the 4th of July 1989 in RFK, amazing experience.

Only Mouse i have is an autographed litho of The Family Album. Sorry about the poor quality photo. Cant be bothered taking it off the wall. 

Mouse.jpg

• Like 4