Psychedelic San Francisco, The Era, Music, Art, Scene, Hippiedom etc.

CalEden

27 minutes ago, lazarus said:

^ That's a great book. Weighs about 15 lbs. Has a lot of good stuff along with the BG posters.

This one is good, too...SF History. I was there as a kid...used to play in Golden Gate Park & Haight Ashbury.

20220328_120715.jpg

20220328_120819.jpg

20220328_120829.jpg

20220328_121000.jpg

20220328_121029.jpg

I have a small library of similar books, just looked don't have that one. Must put it on my shopping list.

The Art of Rock was expensive to buy because of all the color photos. In 80's paid about $125 for the hardcover book. A few years later saw it online close out Barnes Noble for $50. Now used hardcover going for $300.

40 minutes ago, CalEden said:

Now used hardcover going for $300.

Just checked -- Re-issue edition -- New $23.14 delivered for free Prime.

Comments claim it's as nice as the original, although slightly smaller dimensions.

https://smile.amazon.com/Art-Rock-Posters-Presley-Punk/dp/0789212501/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3MEJYWDIO0RB6&keywords=The+Art+of+Rock&qid=1648497834&s=books&sprefix=the+art+of+rock%2Cstripbooks%2C286&sr=1-1

Capture.JPG

Edited by lazarus
cleaned it up a bit...
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Graham Poster 19 The Beard first printing.

aBG019theBeard.jpg

Just purchased this Poster and this cost more than the Zig Zag Poster, last month. This is the most I ever paid for a poster, excellent quality and a first print. The early poster had low print runs.

This poster advertises a play. 

Fillmore Auditorium 7/24/66

Catalog No. BG-19

The Beard, by Michael McClure, was a popular play that imagined a confrontation between Billy the Kid and Jean Harlow. This was the only production of the play held at The Fillmore, but it was held at many other venues in the area around the same time period. The production ended with explicit oral sex between the protagonists, and often resulted in cast member arrests, until the ACLU intervened. Because it was a one-time production, this poster was produced in very limited quantity.
The original poster was printed on vellum and measures approximately 14″ x 20″. Original printings have a white reverse.

Edited by CalEden

Bill Graham Poster # 70 (BG 070), first Print, Artist Greg Irons

a BG070.jpg

Fillmore Auditorium 6/27-7/2/67

Catalog No. BG-70

Chuck Berry and Eric Burdon & The Animals performed with the Steve Miller Blues Band for this 1967 show. The central image is the back of the head of a man wearing a tophat. A small staircase goes up the side of the hat and leads to a tiny gazebo, where a tiny woman is standing. A large poisonous snake is poised above her. This is the first poster for The Fillmore created by Greg Irons, whose untimely and accidental death in 1984 in Bangkok, Thailand was a great loss to the artistic community.

The original poster was printed on white index stock and measures approximately 14″ x 21¾″.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 11:08 AM, CalEden said:

Just completed framing some handbills, postcards and tickets I collected. Can you image paying $5.00 in a small venue like Winterland to see Lead Zeppelin?  

Aferpost.jpg

Took a liking to the New Year Handbill with the SF Ferry building Lit up in the background the dove in the sky and the hand clutching the glowing orb (BG-263).  Unfortunately, I do not have this poster.

Aferpost2.jpg

My Latest Poster Purchase signed by the Artist:

aSForbpostr.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

A very worthy and timely "Poster From The Past" for today.  It took place on Memorial Day hence the title at the top.  It is a visual commentary on the situation going on with the war in South East Asia at the time and reminds me of the gruesome stories that were told coming out of Cambodia and Vietnam.  The imagery and colors used here are pretty astounding. A Rare Bird and fetches a handsome ransom whenever it is offered for sale!  That's probably why only the handbill has a place here in the archives of "Posterville" up to now.  Yet another I look forward to finding sometime in the future.... it’ll happen!

It was on this day in May back 54 years ago in 1968, that for two nights, The Grateful Dead, Charlie Musselwhite and  Petris, played absolutely Kick-Ass shows at the Carousel Ballroom later to be known as the Fillmore West here in San Francisco. This Outstanding Rock poster was created by the late Alton Kelley. (RIP June 5th, 2008)

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2148869235270766&set=a.159077927583250

283777741_2148869231937433_9151995554146193120_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The image on this "Poster From The Past" is of a woman (of course) taking a shower. One of the most commonly reported hallucinations among people that had taken psychedelic drugs (then or now) was flashes of organized colored light.This could be arced bars of light , a series of geometric forms in bright colors of any of a wide variety of other patterns. No one seemed to capture this phenomenon on paper better than Bob Fried who created this fine poster. While some of his Family Dog and other self-published images seem more devoted to relating how he saw this experience, this poster does suggest something in this direction. What do you think about it?

It was on this day in June, back some 54 years ago in 1968, that The Mothers of Invention, BB King and Booker T & the MG's, played for a crowd that was ready to rock at the Fillmore Auditorium right here in the city that knows how…San Francisco. Light show provided by Holy See & Company. This is BG Fillmore poster number #123 in the old series printed one time. Rock artist Bob Fried passed away in 1975 leaving behind a vast amount of incredible poster and rock art. RIP...... We're still digging your beautiful art!

285618460_2155064914651198_7812569892634710203_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2155064917984531&set=a.159077927583250

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, CalEden said:

The guy drinking the big beer.

21 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I think so too - we seldom see you in profile on here but I know that nose, lol...

Nice try but no.......I am the guy at age 20 that was lying down in the yellow shirt in front of my buddy who was drinking the beer. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Magic Trip
Mar 29, 2022  -- Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy and the Grateful Dead star in this rollicking film about the Merry Pranksters, created from never-before-seen footage of their legendary, acid-fueled cross-country road trip in 1965.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2021 at 4:52 AM, Glasseye said:

I remember listening to this album (several times) in my bedroom 50 years ago. Quad stereo set up, sitting on an old thrown like chair (made of horse hair, Dog forgive me). Let's just say wasted (but in a good way). Memories rushing back like it was yesterday. Thankful as anything to have experienced it.

Loved this album at the time. It was 1970 or so as I remember. I was a blue collar guy fresh out of high school who was attending a University where there were many anti-war demonstrations. I came to agree with the anti-war demonstrations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Yessongs said:

??  Always quite frankly, liked his music. 

I wore this album out when I was a teenager...

122271800273.jpg

"These were given out to record company and radio station VIP's.
The report card only came with the white label promo vinyls which included white panties and ONLY white panties.
No other color panties were given along with the report card. 
This probably came with the extremely rare hall pass - but good luck finding one of those!
You'd have a better chance finding Big Foot playing cards with the Loch Ness Monster."

https://www.popsike.com/ALICE-COOPER-Schools-Out-1972-Vinyl-LP-BS-2623-WLP-Panties-Report-Card/122271800273.html

Edited by lazarus
lol
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1