Memory

Nightcrawler

1 minute ago, fforest said:

What's so funny Stillerly?....Are you saying there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to help themself? 

Well a Mountain of research proves you wrong....And mainstream doctors have almost zero training for this sort of thing.... 

•  

Just your use of the term research , given your previous on another thread ... I was wondering what veterinary supplements you use 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, fforest said:

Lots of supplements out there that might help....
But they have to be tested out one by one because many won't do much....Google and start reading...

Or

If your not a researcher a Naturopathic doctor might have some good ideas...

Go and get your vaccination...Google, Facebook and Twitter are not your friends 

11 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Recently I find it quite difficult to remember names of people, whilst I can visualise who they are. It worries me sometimes. Yet, I can vividly remember certain situations that I gave experienced in the past, especially those that have been quite signification 

I have been putting this down largely to getting older and maybe seeing my brain as being like a PC hard drive that is nearly full and needing a defrag. My random access memory is becoming fogged when it comes to certain things

It's all there, everything I have experienced, but access is becoming more difficult as I get older. 

I find myself quite often, going through the alphabet to remember a name, that I should remember 

Do any other members experience this? I sometimes worry that I may be becoming senile

This is exactly what I have been experiencing over the last year.

I tend to recall bad experiences easier than good ones which probably gives me an air of negativity. I have read that it is because there is stronger emotion associated with bad experiences than with good ones.

I do things like remembering my shopping list by making up songs or phrases using the first couple of letters of each item. Whilst shopping I like to add up my bill in my head and calculate my change in advance.I feel quite chuffed with myself when I am quite accurate.

I find having a structured early morning routine helps me face each day. I also make a plan on my whiteboard each Saturday morning of what jobs I will do each day of the following week. More of a target than a plan though really!

• Like 2

For ever and a day when ever anyone wanted to know where the telecoms cable consolidation points (MDFs) were in a train station anywhere in Southeast Queensland they would call me. I would say things like go out the backroom and find the sink. Under the sink there is false panel, take it off and there are the cable terminations.

These days I struggle to even remember where the train station is that they are talking about. To say this saddens me is an understatement as I am only 53 with quite a few years left to work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Can you fucking believe it, last week I forgot to take my card out of the ATM machine so it swallowed it. This morning the same thing happened at the same machine!!

A trip to the bank tomorrow then. 2 new cards within one week of each other.

Well if you were in Thailand and those were foreign ATMs cards you would NEVER make that mistake EVER......Considering how hard they are to replace... 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well if you were in Thailand and those were foreign ATMs cards you would NEVER make that mistake EVER......Considering how hard they are to replace... 

For sure!!!

I use the ATM too often really but I don't like carrying more than I need on any given day and I don't like keeping cash at home because I'd probably just give it away when I see people struggling. I have a heart as hard as a water melon smoothie!

To the OP I can relate and started to do what my grand parents did with all the family....name everyone under the sun and then finally remember ah you are.... LOL. I still do that with family. In a working environment it's easier because everyone wears ID cards. Plus those doing zoom calls well their name appears on screen.....saved! However, when it comes to friends I sometimes listen out for names but never point incase I'm wrong 🤣

23 minutes ago, tingtong2k said:

To the OP I can relate and started to do what my grand parents did with all the family....name everyone under the sun and then finally remember ah you are.... LOL. I still do that with family. In a working environment it's easier because everyone wears ID cards. Plus those doing zoom calls well their name appears on screen.....saved! However, when it comes to friends I sometimes listen out for names but never point incase I'm wrong 🤣

I tend to use the A to Z system, which  an take a while. Going through as many names as I can think of for each letter of the alphabet and hoping I get lucky. Not remembering a name drives me crazy and often it's not actually that important in the first place.  It's more the worry of going senile that bothers me most 😁

6 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Can you fucking believe it, last week I forgot to take my card out of the ATM machine so it swallowed it. This morning the same thing happened at the same machine!!

Now my missus has a superb memory(especially where it concerns things I've done or said😂) but twice she has walked away from an ATM without the cash.

The first time there was an old lady behind her & she handed the money into the bank.The second time there was nobody there & the ATM retracted the cash.

Very lucky.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

My problems seem to coincide with using a different machine (location and bank!) because my "usual" one was removed when the 7/11 closed. 

I think one of the reasons I've never left my card behind is I keep the ATM card in a separate carrying case from the wallet my money goes in. I do this not because of memory failure, but to avoid a pickpocket getting my ATM cards and DL in addition to my cash in one grab. So when the money comes out of the ATM I have both my wallet and 2nd carrying case in my hands that serve as a reminder it's not just the cash I have to remember to take before leaving the machine.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I think one of the reasons I've never left my card behind is I keep the ATM card in a separate carrying case from the wallet my money goes in. I do this not because of memory failure, but to avoid a pickpocket getting my ATM cards and DL in addition to my cash in one grab. So when the money comes out of the ATM I have both my wallet and 2nd carrying case in my hands that serve as a reminder it's not just the cash I have to remember to take before leaving the machine.

Excellent idea! Thanks!

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Doing the same except for the DL: it is always in the car and a pic of it on my phone in case I am driving Mrs. CO's car. 

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I think one of the reasons I've never left my card behind is I keep the ATM card in a separate carrying case from the wallet my money goes in.

Hahahaha! I've just remembered that the last wallet my daughter bought for me came with a separate holder for cards. I just bunged my UK cards in it and it is in my bug-out bag!

I've done a bit of shuffling around and am now using it for my Thai bank cards!

Sometimes I really am a stupid prick. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I had to replace two Bangkok Bank ATM cards in the last year or two - one swallowed by an ATM and one lost by me - so now I do cardless withdrawals to prevent it happening again.

• Thumbs Up 1