Jump to content

Shall i or shan't i - It does look rather nice imo


Pumpuynarak
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am not a motorist myself, never have been never will. But I have always liked cars painted red.

I think it must be the perfect colour for a car. Cars in bright colours will just look dirty again 10 minutes after you washed them. Darker cars will just heat up under the sun. Red seems like a good middle ground, not too warm and not too dirty.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

I am not a motorist myself, never have been never will. But I have always liked cars painted red.

I think it must be the perfect colour for a car. Cars in bright colours will just look dirty again 10 minutes after you washed them. Darker cars will just heat up under the sun. Red seems like a good middle ground, not too warm and not too dirty.

If I have the choice, I will never own a white or black car - they are both impossible to keep clean. The most popular car colour is still silver, apparently - doesn't show dirt too badly and blends in everywhere. Now for the sporty cars, I do love the red of the Italian cars - "arrest-me red", as Car & Driver magazine used to call it...

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

If I have the choice, I will never own a white or black car - they are both impossible to keep clean. The most popular car colour is still silver, apparently - doesn't show dirt too badly and blends in everywhere. Now for the sporty cars, I do love the red of the Italian cars - "arrest-me red", as Car & Driver magazine used to call it...

Ditto from me too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Philippines it's expected to sell for 2.509 million philippine peso, or £37200 give or take, so a chunk cheaper, but they might not get the Thai version, possibly the Indonesian one which is differently styled. Are you considering the 2.8 Turbo diesel?.

Although Toyota generally have a low depreciation, and it'll still be worth a chunk in a few years, I'd be sorely tempted to keep the old one. "If it ain't broke", as the saying goes. We run a Fortuner in the Philippines and they are really good, versatile and reliable cars.

43 large is a lot of money to spend on a depreciating "asset" , but if it doesn't impact your lifestyle, then why not.

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I got more chance of "pissing in my Queens handbag" than finding one in Korat for rental lol

Can't you test drive one for half a day or so?. They do look great, but they're not hybrid or EV are they?. Then again I think the roll out of EV's in Asia will take a good while.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Butch said:

Can't you test drive one for half a day or so?. They do look great, but they're not hybrid or EV are they?. Then again I think the roll out of EV's in Asia will take a good while.

 

When i bought my first Fort i asked for a test drive but was informed they did'nt have one available due to customer demand, everyone they could get their hands on was sold, i had to wait 3 months for my new Fort to be delivered.

Now that situation may have changed but this is a new model and i suspect it will be in very high demand but i'll pop in to my local dealer and have a chat with them.

I agree with you regarding hybrid/EV in Thailand and Asia in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 1:26 PM, Lirchenfeld said:

I am not a motorist myself, never have been never will. But I have always liked cars painted red.

I think it must be the perfect colour for a car. Cars in bright colours will just look dirty again 10 minutes after you washed them. Darker cars will just heat up under the sun. Red seems like a good middle ground, not too warm and not too dirty.

Gone are the days of lots of bright colours on cars, bikes are the same as well. Now it's all 50 shades of grey or black. Sports bikes especially look dull, all based around same colours and it makes them all look the same. Gone are the days of lime green Kawasaki's, red and white Yamaha's, race team replica colours. 

Everything in dull colours. Dull fucking colours for dull fucking people!. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 3:11 AM, Butch said:

Are you considering the 2.8 Turbo diesel?.

Yep, i always buy the TOTR vehicles as they have a better spec and resale values are better. 

43 large is a lot of money to spend on a depreciating "asset" , but if it doesn't impact your lifestyle, then why not.

I just have a problem with spending that amount of dosh on a Fortuner, its not as if its a BMW or Merc SUV, i just don't think its worth the money but nevertheless its nice.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yep, i always buy the TOTR vehicles as they have a better spec and resale values are better. 

43 large is a lot of money to spend on a depreciating "asset" , but if it doesn't impact your lifestyle, then why not.

I just have a problem with spending that amount of dosh on a Fortuner, its not as if its a BMW or Merc SUV, i just don't think its worth the money but nevertheless its nice.

Way I see it is that if you think it's what you want then go for it. Better to buy something you want rather than buy something just on price alone. And German cars don't have the reputation of old from what I have read in recent times. 

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Way I see it is that if you think it's what you want then go for it. Better to buy something you want rather than buy something just on price alone. And German cars don't have the reputation of old from what I have read in recent times. 

 

Spot on Mr G. I was in the market for a Merc last year, had a look at a few and while they were impressive, God forbid, for the same money as a second hand E class, I could have got a Skoda Superb Estate brand new with a great spec and warranty etc. The build quality of the Skoda was very impressive and I'd say on par with the Merc.

BMW's have had issues in the last few years, the Vanos system causing no end of headaches, rod bearings on the V8 M3 models and other stuff, plus it is not like it is minor either. An M3 lunching it's engine due to rod bearing failure is not going to be a cheap repair by any stretch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yep, i always buy the TOTR vehicles as they have a better spec and resale values are better. 

43 large is a lot of money to spend on a depreciating "asset" , but if it doesn't impact your lifestyle, then why not.

I just have a problem with spending that amount of dosh on a Fortuner, its not as if its a BMW or Merc SUV, i just don't think its worth the money but nevertheless its nice.

Yep, I agree, when you put it that way it does seem a chunk of wedge for what is basically a Toyota SUV. They are very nice though. One way I'd look at it as well is that if they retain the same drivetrain and essentially the same engine, then it's 43 grand for a redesigned body.

I would be interesting to see the depreciation curve on these after a year or two.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Yep, I agree, when you put it that way it does seem a chunk of wedge for what is basically a Toyota SUV. They are very nice though. One way I'd look at it as well is that if they retain the same drivetrain and essentially the same engine, then it's 43 grand for a redesigned body.

I would be interesting to see the depreciation curve on these after a year or two.

 

With all the current contract/PCP plan's then it's much more affordable than buying outright, you are basically just paying the depreciation.Unless you plan on keeping a car for a considerable amount of time it's not really worth buying outright.

Next bike I buy will be brand new on PCP.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Butch said:

BMW's have had issues in the last few years, the Vanos system causing no end of headaches, rod bearings on the V8 M3 models and other stuff, plus it is not like it is minor either. An M3 lunching it's engine due to rod bearing failure is not going to be a cheap repair by any stretch.

Spot on Butch, on my M3 Evo bought in 1996 it had the new Vanos system and within a month it developed a problem, obviously it was covered by the warranty but they replaced it with new and if i remember correctly was over 1000GBP's 😧

The car was supplied to me by my employer who paid 42K to my local BMW dealer and after 3 years and 40K miles on the clock it was due for replacement. Now my employer always gave the employee the opportunity the buy the car being replaced, they wanted 25K for it !!! (local dealer advised the value to my employer)

Now i'd bought 2 Merc's, Audi TT, Escort Cosworth previously from them and always made at least 1000GBP when i sold them on but the M3 at 25K, no chance of making any dosh 😧

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, galenkia said:

With all the current contract/PCP plan's then it's much more affordable than buying outright, you are basically just paying the depreciation.Unless you plan on keeping a car for a considerable amount of time it's not really worth buying outright.

Next bike I buy will be brand new on PCP.

Whats PCP Gally, is it leasing ?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An old friend of mine who lives in a smaller, more northern mining town recently had her car in for repairs with her neighbourhood mechanic - check out the invoice:

261243174_4981040888596681_8883323597809283028_n.jpg

She's had this thing forever and most of its miles are on substandard mining roads so this is just a joke between her and the mechanic. 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Butch said:

That's some Odometer reading as well!

352k KM is around 218k miles, give or take. That would be slightly unusual to see in the UK.

I spotted that too, hence the unit number!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 5:27 PM, maipenrai said:

An old friend of mine who lives in a smaller, more northern mining town recently had her car in for repairs with her neighbourhood mechanic - check out the invoice:

261243174_4981040888596681_8883323597809283028_n.jpg

She's had this thing forever and most of its miles are on substandard mining roads so this is just a joke between her and the mechanic. 

At lease she's still got hers...catalytic converter.

I spoke with a neighbor yesterday who was cleaning the interior of his car - a 2000 Honda Civic. He said that a few nights back someone stole his car, drove it around the corner, and proceeded to cut off the catalytic converter. The car was left behind.

Seems there's platinum in those old converters...worth more than the car.

. . .

Here's a recent story from another part of California:

'It's an epidemic': Reports of catalytic converter thefts up 1,500% in Sacramento County

https://www.kcra.com/article/catalytic-converter-thefts-up-1500-sacramento-county/38285101

... KCRA 3 Investigates took an in-depth look into reports of catalytic converter thefts in the county and found the number jumped from 74 reported thefts in 2018 to 1,214 as of October 2021 — a 1,540% increase.

The scene of thieves pulling up, sliding underneath cars, and cutting off catalytic converters, has become all-to-familiar, including at used car dealerships...

  • Great Info 1
  • Surprised 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, lazarus said:

At lease she's still got hers...catalytic converter.

I spoke with a neighbor yesterday who was cleaning the interior of his car - a 2000 Honda Civic. He said that a few nights back someone stole his car, drove it around the corner, and proceeded to cut off the catalytic converter. The car was left behind.

Seems there's platinum in those old converters...worth more than the car.

. . .

Here's a recent story from another part of California:

'It's an epidemic': Reports of catalytic converter thefts up 1,500% in Sacramento County

https://www.kcra.com/article/catalytic-converter-thefts-up-1500-sacramento-county/38285101

... KCRA 3 Investigates took an in-depth look into reports of catalytic converter thefts in the county and found the number jumped from 74 reported thefts in 2018 to 1,214 as of October 2021 — a 1,540% increase.

The scene of thieves pulling up, sliding underneath cars, and cutting off catalytic converters, has become all-to-familiar, including at used car dealerships...

We had a spell of them being stolen here a few years ago, typically from 4 wheel drives as they can get underneaf them easier to cut it out. The didn't have to steal them, just remove in situ in the middle of the night.

  • Surprised 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, lazarus said:

At lease she's still got hers...catalytic converter.

I spoke with a neighbor yesterday who was cleaning the interior of his car - a 2000 Honda Civic. He said that a few nights back someone stole his car, drove it around the corner, and proceeded to cut off the catalytic converter. The car was left behind.

Seems there's platinum in those old converters...worth more than the car.

. . .

Here's a recent story from another part of California:

'It's an epidemic': Reports of catalytic converter thefts up 1,500% in Sacramento County

https://www.kcra.com/article/catalytic-converter-thefts-up-1500-sacramento-county/38285101

... KCRA 3 Investigates took an in-depth look into reports of catalytic converter thefts in the county and found the number jumped from 74 reported thefts in 2018 to 1,214 as of October 2021 — a 1,540% increase.

The scene of thieves pulling up, sliding underneath cars, and cutting off catalytic converters, has become all-to-familiar, including at used car dealerships...

They contain precious metals and on the black market fetch around £100 each. All you need is a trolley jack, battery operated jigsaw with a high tensile steel cutting blade and some muscle to stand out and watch. There have been a few cases of thieves getting crushed when the jacks failed...shame.

Toyota Prius are a prime target, as the cats can be sold for around £700 each on the black market. Some fetch serious money and 3 a night is a decent income.

Best option if you lose yours is to buy a generic one from Ebay and get it welded it in. The cat on my car is protected by 9 1/2 stone of German Shepherd while parked in the gated driveway.

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well i popped in to my local Toyota dealer enquiring about the Fort GR4 and was given a brochure. I asked this very pretty young lady what they would give me (best offer) for my Fort parked outside, she went away then came back and said 200K !!!

I was surprised that was the best offer for my Fort considering i was buying a new Fort costing almost 1.9M.

I think if i go ahead with the purchase i'll sell my Fort privately as i'm convinced i can get more considering its condition then it will be a case of how much discount they will give me.  

Watch this space lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...