2022 Winter Olympics

forcebwithu

4 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

@lazarusOnce again you fail to disappoint…..I knew her Instagram was getting there with some sponsorships, but I guess she was bigger than I thought…..

But a gold medal surely doesn’t hurt…Funny thing is, if I had to guess blindly, with the ski outfit, I’d peg her more as a Scandinavian than Asian…..

I saw Ms. Gu a few months ago near the Marina on San Francisco Bay. She was with a couple of guys with cameras. Other than her Red Bull cap she was not easily identifiable. 

Based on interviews she's incredibly intelligent and photogenic. Olympic skiing gold is just a notch on her young amazing life. I consider her an incredible roll model for my luk krueng daughter.

Check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/sports/olympics/eileen-gu-skiing-fear.html

• Great Info 1

Canadian defector to the US wins gold! :default_animier:

Olympics Live Updates: Humphries Wins Gold for U.S. in New Event, Monobob

Kaillie Humphries accused her coach in Canada of mental abuse and became a U.S. citizen, allowing her to switch teams.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/13/sports/kaillie-humphries-monobob.html

... After winning a bronze medal in 2018, Humphries filed a formal complaint of mental and verbal abuse against Todd Hays, a coach for Bobsleigh Canada. She asked to be released from the program, initiating a protracted standoff.  

Other countries recruited Humphries with the offer of immediate citizenship to compete in Beijing under their flag. Humphries instead waited out the lengthy process it took to become a U.S. citizen with no assurances that she would be granted a passport with enough time to compete at the Games.

“I’m becoming an American,” Humphries said before the Olympics. “Reminding myself of that made it much bigger and much more grand. At the end of the day, the Olympics is a race. It’s what I work for, but it’s not a part of who I am, and becoming an American is very much a part of who I am.”

She became one in December, allowing just enough of a window to qualify for the Winter Games...

Edited by lazarus

11 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Great.

We excel at chucking rocks down an ice rink.

Its like watching the Eurovision Song Contest.

"GB........... Nil points"

No danger of our lot getting tested for performance related pharmaceuticals. 

Ice Darts is going to be introduced next Winter Olympics

• Haha 1

Not trying to be "mean spirited" but have to say I was glad that the Russian figure skater fell a few times who cheated on her doping test and did not get a medal.

Yeah I know, she is only 15, but she needs to get a few new people around her. Hopefully this does not " ruin" her for ever but...not buying the story that perhaps some of the banned substance came from her Grandfathers glass she drank out of. 

How in god's name the Russians continue to  try to cheat is beyond me and more over..think they won't get caught. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Not trying to be "mean spirited" but have to say I was glad that the Russian figure skater fell a few times who cheated on her doping test and did not get a medal.

Yeah I know, she is only 15, but she needs to get a few new people around her. Hopefully this does not " ruin" her for ever but...not buying the story that perhaps some of the banned substance came from her Grandfathers glass she drank out of. 

How in god's name the Russians continue to  try to cheat is beyond me and more over..think they won't get caught. 

Yeah, don't think it would be fair punishing her too harshly as she is just a kid who can be easily led and influenced by less than scrupulous coaches. Her coaches should be the ones getting punished as there is no way she cheated on her own without their knowledge or help. 

More to the point, I thought Russians were banned from the Olympics?. Or is it okay to just change the teams name and carry on regardless?. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yessongs said:

It’s a tough call, but rules are rules. I saw one athlete comment that “ heart medication doesn’t help her twist and spin, but it WAS a positive test for a banned substance” . 

In other news, Mike, Evander Kane is shockingly doing very well for my Oilers. 8 points in 9 games……not bad for a guy I thought would never suit up again. I believe they got him very cheap though, would have been too much criticism if they paid too much for a fella with his issues

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, galenkia said:

More to the point, I thought Russians were banned from the Olympics?. Or is it okay to just change the teams name and carry on regardless?. 

100% agree , same with the summer games , they should have all been banned 

Feel sorry for the girl , that her country , coach and family allowed this to happen to her 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

It’s a tough call, but rules are rules. I saw one athlete comment that “ heart medication doesn’t help her twist and spin, but it WAS a positive test for a banned substance” . 

In other news, Mike, Evander Kane is shockingly doing very well for my Oilers. 8 points in 9 games……not bad for a guy I thought would never suit up again. I believe they got him very cheap though, would have been too much criticism if they paid too much for a fella with his issues

Helps her recovery and being able to train ... wouldn't suprise me if the gold and silver winners were also on the same , as they have the same coaches ..

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

When I was younger, media used to emphasize total medals, but lately it seems most lists order the nations in # of Golds. I am very impressed with 🇨🇦 and their total haul, but disappointed at how few Gold medals we’ve bagged. Ah well, podium is better than 4th place any day……

FAC91536-2EB4-43D9-B6D5-679C1780EC4B.jpeg

• Like 1

Winter Olympics: Finnish cross-country skier suffers frozen penis in 50km race

The men’s 50km mass start skiiing race at the Beijing Games was shortened to 30km but that did little to help Finland’s Remi Lindholm, who needed a heat pack at the end of the race to thaw out a particularly sensitive body part.

Great Britain's Mili Smith, Hailey Duff, Jennifer Dodds, Vicky Wright and Eve Muirhead celebrate with their gold medals.  
‘Perfect performance’: Team GB finally win first Beijing gold in women’s curling
Read more
Lindholm spent just under an hour and 16 minutes traversing the course in howling, freezing winds, leading to his penis becoming frozen for the second time in a cross-country skiing race, following a similar incident in Ruka, Finland last year.

“You can guess which body part was a little bit frozen when I finished ... it was one of the worst competitions I’ve been in,” he told Finnish media. “It was just about battling through.”

With organisers worried about frostbite during Saturday’s race, it was delayed by an hour and shortened by 20km. The thin suits and under-layers worn by racers, as well as plasters to cover their faces and ears, offered little protection.

Lindholm explained that he used a heat pack to try to thaw out his appendage once the race was over. “When the body parts started to warm up after the finish, the pain was unbearable,” he added.

Remi Lindholm in the 50km cross country event, in which a thin suit offered little protection in the cold.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1