Walking Street - The future if any?

john luke

12 hours ago, tko said:

The seaside stuff was there then.  Peppermint gogo's original location was up an escalator seaside.  NLD1 was seaside as well as the Katoy show and Nong Nual seafood.  There was a skanky gogo across from soi Diamond seaside as well, maybe called Nuis?  97 is when I first started going back, and I always stayed at the Diamond beach or Dream hotel on 2nd road.  

I took my mate "Sweatie" into Peppermint on his first night in Thailand and I thought he had lost the power of speech because he had quite literally had never seen so much  near or totally naked pussy in his life.

I wasn't sure if he was enjoying it but I think he was nigh on in a state of shock.

So I then took him to Living Dolls 2 where Steve and about half a dozen girls welcomed me back for the first time in 6 months. I asked one of the girls to look after Sweatie ( aka John) as this was his first night in Thailand and he was a bit shy. Twenty minutes later he taps me on the shoulder and tells me had paid the girls b/fine and what time were we going back to the hotel. As it was only about 10.30 I told him it was his round and we still had FLB and Catz  to do. 

He had to bring her with him to FLB where we stayed . Did Catz the next day. 😂

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, tko said:

Walking street was already the premier gogo/bar area 25 years ago.  The Pattayaland sois hadn't died out, yet.  Yes, it has diminished over the years, but the Pattayaland sois went the way of soi 7/8.

I can only go back to 2001 but at that time I reckon go go wise Pattayaland 2 was way ahead of Walking Street.

Others may disagree.

• Thumbs Up 1

For an old fart like me Walking Street was much better when it was open to traffic,but I suppose you always look back through rose tinted spectacles.For the last few years when I've been back to Pattaya I've probably only been down there once per trip.Too much super loud shit that they call music these days & far too many tourist groups.

But as I say I'm an old fart.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I took my mate "Sweatie" into Peppermint on his first night in Thailand and I thought he had lost the power of speech because he had quite literally had never seen so much  near or totally naked pussy in his life.

I wasn't sure if he was enjoying it but I think he was nigh on in a state of shock.

So I then took him to Living Dolls 2 where Steve and about half a dozen girls welcomed me back for the first time in 6 months. I asked one of the girls to look after Sweatie ( aka John) as this was his first night in Thailand and he was a bit shy. Twenty minutes later he taps me on the shoulder and tells me had paid the girls b/fine and what time were we going back to the hotel. As it was only about 10.30 I told him it was his round and we still had FLB and Catz  to do. 

He had to bring her with him to FLB where we stayed . Did Catz the next day. 😂

"Sweatie" is still not fully over it ....... a Hearts fan doing that to a Hibs fan .. tut tut..!!

.. his mashie niblick has never been the same.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Lobster Pot was definitely there in 93 , first restaurant I ate at visiting Pattaya , the GoGos in WS used to bore me back then, they all did the same shows ( flower , ping pong , darts , lucky fish etc .. ) I would only visit WS to eat at Lobster Pot for many years - It's only in the last 12 years I've really started to enjoy WS 

f**k me, I must have been walking around spaced out of my mind !!

So Walking Street hasn't always been rammed with GoGos it's evolved over the years and will continue to do so ... when mass tourism finally comes back ,  I think it will probably end up with more music bars ,restaurants,  arcades , nightclubs and fewer GoGos 

• Like 2

Its USP last few years has been the lights, lewd shows, loud music and ladyboys ...well for all the Asian tour groups and flag wavers. Anyone ever seen the massive line up of coaches on the hill waiting to pick these huge tour groups up.?

Less lewd risqué shows but more garish and loud crappy bars and arcades, Indian clubs ....and of course Asian tour groups wearing headsets watching Squid Games and experiencing the Metaverse (whatever that is??).

See I'm down with the hipsters still .... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Just found this , mostly shops and restaurants in 94 , apart from Soi Diamond and Marine Disco 

THANKS! That certainly cleaned the inside of my brain with wire wool for a bit of clarity. !!

Before settling here in '96 my trips were as a tourist during Chinese holidays. I reckon my first trip was October '92 and I was so out of my skull I could have just stayed in my room in Beijing and dreamt it all...!!!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, coxyhog said:

For an old fart like me Walking Street was much better when it was open to traffic,but I suppose you always look back through rose tinted spectacles.For the last few years when I've been back to Pattaya I've probably only been down there once per trip.Too much super loud shit that they call music these days & far too many tourist groups.

But as I say I'm an old fart.

Thanks to Covid and lockdowns we have ALL been living on our memories. That could be as little as 2 or 3 years or as in my case back to 2002.

So I have no personal experience to compare before 2002.

All I can say is that I had the time of my life two or three times each year from then and a good number of years thereafter. Much of that happened in WS GoGo's  as I firmly believed in caveat emptor. Translated as, no nasty surprises when they got their kit off.

On the other hand, FLB  Bar was my "Local" of choice where my horizontal dance card was all too often marked.

Who would ever have come back to Pattaya after the first visit if it was not for the pussy.

Happy,

Happy,

Happy days! 🤣

• Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Thanks to Covid and lockdowns we have ALL been living on our memories. That could be as little as 2 or 3 years or as in my case back to 2002.

So I have no personal experience to compare before 2002.

All I can say is that I had the time of my life two or three times each year from then and a good number of years thereafter. Much of that happened in WS GoGo's  as I firmly believed in caveat emptor. Translated as, no nasty surprises when they got their kit off.

On the other hand, FLB  Bar was my "Local" of choice where my horizontal dance card was all too often marked.

Who would ever have come back to Pattaya after the first visit if it was not for the pussy.

Happy,

Happy,

Happy days! 🤣

Very happy days for us all methinks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just as a kind of side note, over the journey in life since first arriving in Thailand in 1999, I had never been there before that. I found the place to be exciting to a certain degree (obviously LOL..) But I always tell guys, my idea of fun may not be yours right? Most of my "Social Life" per say, was working in Tech for many years and the gym was my primary outlet for hanging around guys and well...doing and talking guy stuff. 

It was pretty much a matter of "promotion" on my part to talk up Thailand over the years to many guys as a general rule. Usually when I would talk "Thailand" as an adventure spot that they might want to consider at some point, usually the response was " What's there to do there"?  Probably 95% of the guys I ever talked to were certainly not informed that Thailand was a good destination to consider. 

I do realize that I am at a probable 95% of the world male population that I interfaced with but, most of the guys I talked to alot that wanted some " female companionship" on their holiday were going to Hawaii, Las Vegas, Miami, Santorini, and it seemed like alot were going to various parts of Europe. No one ever blew me away by telling me I am going to Thailand and I can't wait! 

With that said, I am not so sure that Thailand will ever attract any "new" blood to help out the current situation if it ever does get better. 

What is your guys take on this, did/do you get the same? As I do remember one guy telling me he went once to Thailand. Would not go back, too hot, too dirty, too crowded etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

What is your guys take on this, did/do you get the same? As I do remember one guy telling me he went once to Thailand. Would not go back, too hot, too dirty, too crowded etc.

Depends on what your looking for in Thailand . If you have problem with hygiene or with crowds or bad footpaths then Thailand is not for you.

I remember reading in this forum about crazy things in Thailand 4 people riding a bike wearing face masks and no helmets. 
For me this is what Thailand is about seeing crazy things that you would never see anywhere else in the world . It’s about embracing traditions and great people. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Just as a kind of side note, over the journey in life since first arriving in Thailand in 1999, I had never been there before that. I found the place to be exciting to a certain degree (obviously LOL..) But I always tell guys, my idea of fun may not be yours right? Most of my "Social Life" per say, was working in Tech for many years and the gym was my primary outlet for hanging around guys and well...doing and talking guy stuff. 

It was pretty much a matter of "promotion" on my part to talk up Thailand over the years to many guys as a general rule. Usually when I would talk "Thailand" as an adventure spot that they might want to consider at some point, usually the response was " What's there to do there"?  Probably 95% of the guys I ever talked to were certainly not informed that Thailand was a good destination to consider. 

I do realize that I am at a probable 95% of the world male population that I interfaced with but, most of the guys I talked to alot that wanted some " female companionship" on their holiday were going to Hawaii, Las Vegas, Miami, Santorini, and it seemed like alot were going to various parts of Europe. No one ever blew me away by telling me I am going to Thailand and I can't wait! 

With that said, I am not so sure that Thailand will ever attract any "new" blood to help out the current situation if it ever does get better. 

Excellent post Mike...

My first trip to SE Asia back in '99 was planned primarily to go to Bali. My trip was laid out to do 3 nights in BKK and then 10 days in Bali, then 3 more nights in BKK.

I did the first 3 nights in BKK and was blown away. I then continue on to Bali, following those incredible first 3 nihgts. When I arrived at the airport in Bali I exchanged some money. What they gave me was a stack of bills that could choke a camel. I wasn't even sure what to do with all that dough.

I lasted in Bali 1 night. Got on a plane back to BKK for the remainder of the time I had left on the trip. Worked my way down to Patts/Jomtien.

Life has never been the same since.    lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I went for the first after visiting an ex work mate in the Middle East. He'd ended up in the "desert" and fallen in with a crowd who did side trips to LOS to relieve the boredom.

I'd travelled in Asia before, had been to Sri Lanka and India, so the culture shock was less. Was certainly way more hygienic than the latter, and nowhere near as crowded.

Was always a BKK man in those days, never went near Patts or WS.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, monkeyman said:

I can only go back to 2001 but at that time I reckon go go wise Pattayaland 2 was way ahead of Walking Street.

Others may disagree.

I agree, Pattayaland 2 was much more compact physically and as such I think offered more diversity in that smaller area and it was possible to spend the entire night "doing" the street. My usual route would be food at Palmers, then into Classroom, then Emergency, then Miss Dinos into Mistys. There was still ample choice left over with the Top Class Entertainment group, along with places like Spicy girls 1 and 2, Gullivers (on Pattayaland 1) and Penthouse.

Walking Street was seen (by me) as a later venue, maybe Happy when Dagmar was running it, Dollhouse a GoGo, Diamond A GoGo ,but Peppermint then was a shithole so I tended to avoid that. WS was good for Tony's, Marine and Bamboo though if FL action was your bag, and Tony's back in the day was an exceptional hunting ground, very often a case of leaning over the balcony and waiting for a girl to approach. Same same for Marine, although Marine had more spacious toilets.

It didn't take long for WS to overtake Pattayaland though. Once the likes of Catz, Boesche, Living Dolls and the Peppermint cheap beer promotion took hold, it was going to be a tall order for Pattayaland 2 to survive, and the rest, as we know, is history.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

For a good majority of the population Thailand is way outside their comfort zone. When you add to the mix how long the trip is for an American, no surprise most who we would talk up Thailand to would not be interested.

And for the few who make the trip, the sight of broken pavement, tangled utility lines, motorbikes coming at you from both directions on a one way street, red traffic lights that are only considered advisory, etc., etc., a fair number probably can't wait to get back to their respective 1st world country, never to return.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Homor said:

Depends on what your looking for in Thailand . If you have problem with hygiene or with crowds or bad footpaths then Thailand is not for you.

I remember reading in this forum about crazy things in Thailand 4 people riding a bike wearing face masks and no helmets. 
For me this is what Thailand is about seeing crazy things that you would never see anywhere else in the world . It’s about embracing traditions and great people. 

Happening on Soi Buakhao everynight m8.........lol....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

For a good majority of the population Thailand is way outside their comfort zone. When you add to the mix how long the trip is for an American, no surprise most who we would talk up Thailand to would not be interested.

And for the few who make the trip, the sight of broken pavement, tangled utility lines, motorbikes coming at you from both directions on a one way street, red traffic lights that are only considered advisory, etc., etc., a fair number probably can't wait to get back to their respective 1st world country, never to return.

An interesting and accurate post although I have known a good number of like minded guys from the USA who regularly made the trip ................ or never went home.

Thank God for the night and neon lights that hides much of the third world deficiencies. I always used to tell people who asked that they were either going to hate or love Thailand ( more particularly Pattaya) as there was no grey area.

At the risk of repeating myself, who ever would have come back to Pattaya for a second visit if it was not for the Thai pussy? 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

An interesting and accurate post although I have known a good number of like minded guys from the USA who regularly made the trip ................ or never went home.

Thank God for the night and neon lights that hides much of the third world deficiencies. I always used to tell people who asked that they were either going to hate or love Thailand ( more particularly Pattaya) as there was no grey area.

At the risk of repeating myself, who ever would have come back to Pattaya for a second visit if it was not for the Thai pussy? 🙂

Well, the pussy was certainly the main draw for my return in 2003 after my first all-too-brief visit the previous year - but I also loved the sheer chaos and what-the-hell anything goes ambience of the place after a lifetime of watching freedoms being taken away in the name of "safety" in my corner of the west.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Jambo said:

I wonder how many of us realise there was a beach 🏖 on them earlier trips 

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, gs joe said:

That was already pretty clear to me on my first visit (December 1994 or 1995) when visiting NangNual and sitting above the water. I think it was a year later I became aware of the Thai law prohibiting such. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gs joe said:

I’m ashamed to say my first trip was 22 days, and after one night on Soi 11 in BKK after a midnight arrival, spent the rest all in Pattaya. Kind of stayed quiet on the return flights when fellow Canadians I met were all bragging about what islands they explored….

But I DID see the beach once, happy I found an honest jet ski operator 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jambo said:

I'm one of those that six months after my first trip in 2008, never went home. The first trip though I was quite clueless about the Pattaya scene as the driving reason for coming was a mileage run. I chose to stay in Pattaya because hotels were cheap and had easy access to Scuba diving and windsurfing. The diving and windsurfing sucked, but the nightlife more than made up for those negatives. I was hooked and was fortunate I was at a point in life I could pack my bags and make the move here.

Bringing this back OT, I was also fortunate that I came at a time that WS still had that edge to it with the likes of Xzone and others of the same ilk. But after a few years with prices creeping up and lady attitudes becoming more mercenary, I found the developing LK Metro area more to my liking. For me it was when Xzone closed and Spanky's no longer honored the ex-pat VIP card that my trips to WS became more infrequent.
img086.jpg

I understood the change though as business owners wanted to maximize the return on their investment, and the ex-pat community wasn't going to help them achieve that goal. The two week millionaire tourists were where the money was to be made and I most definitely didn't fit that demographic.

And that last bit is why I think we'll continue to see WS evolve into something very different from years earlier. The number of tourists that enjoy in your face, hard core porn are outnumbered by tourists that are more comfortable with a soft porn version. Thus we'll probably see more place converting to something along the lines of the "bistro".

On a positive note; thankfully we're seeing more places opening as GC's to cater to those of us that enjoy more hands on fun.

• Like 7