Walking Street - The future if any?

john luke

@forcebwithu Been exactly a decade since my last trip, but I think it’s safe to say, with the rates top shelf girls started demanding since that time…..would take VERY DEEP pockets indeed for ANY retiree to live full time like a 2 week millionaire. 

I think 15-20 years back, if someone was young enough with a decent bankroll/pension wanted to, he could. But these days(until COVID hit), more than wanting to find love, or “trying to take it easy some nights”……I think just affording that lifestyle would be the limiting factor. Would cost easily 6 figures USD. And obviously, the few who could attempt this and afford it, would probably start slowing down soon enough. For me personally, 2-3 weeks in Pattaya of constant drinking and whoring was plenty before needing a change of scenery, and in my mid 30’s at that.

Retirement should be pretty mellow, I think

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@forcebwithu Been exactly a decade since my last trip, but I think it’s safe to say, with the rates top shelf girls started demanding since that time…..would take VERY DEEP pockets indeed for ANY retiree to live full time like a 2 week millionaire. 

I think 15-20 years back, if someone was young enough with a decent bankroll/pension wanted to, he could. But these days(until COVID hit), more than wanting to find love, or “trying to take it easy some nights”……I think just affording that lifestyle would be the limiting factor. Would cost easily 6 figures USD. And obviously, the few who could attempt this and afford it, would probably start slowing down soon enough. For me personally, 2-3 weeks in Pattaya of constant drinking and whoring was plenty before needing a change of scenery, and in my mid 30’s at that.

Retirement should be pretty mellow, I think

Covid enabled me to develop many new habits during the year and a half I was living there (Nov. 2019 - Feb. 2021) - So, most of that time during covid. I can't believe it has been almost a year since I left.

During that time I learned quite a few things about living in LOS. My situation was a bit challenging since I was not set up as I would have been if I had been under the conditions I had previously planned for (But... they say life is what happens as you are planning something else --- or something like that). Regardless, I was able to confront and work through (with a couple of exceptions that are actually still being dealt with, and would have to be no matter what I was doing) those challenges.

Although I spent far more dosh than I should have on many things, I learned a great deal and discovered some key things that will carry over for when I get back. In the end I think those discoveries will end up saving me more money, and the over spending during that year to actually be kind of an investment (although the wallet is presently a little more barren than I would like).

No question the 2 week millionaire spending is well behind me now. There are so many tremendous experiences to be had, places to see and quality (affordable) places to live comfortably. The down time that covid created presented me opportunity to focus on more important things for the future that I now have out of the way. When I get back it will be very easy to just ease into things without having to spend much (a very big anxiety release). I will also be relieved of the financial and family responsibilities I had back here in the U.S., severing those burdens will be of huge long term benefit that I truly look forward to. 

Another positive thing that the covid months offered was finding things that brought me a lot of enjoyment without costing much. And as far as enjoying the company of friends they are always there. Soooo much out there to enjoy without costing a bundle. But there certainly is a start up cost and learning curve. At least now I feel that I have gotten past much of that. But, don't get me wrong.... I am always learning new things and will be until the last day. I believe that is true for most in here - even the hard core, long term stayers. And that IMO is a great part of the fun - the learning and discovery. Some days I feel like a nerd in a science museum - wide eyed and soaking it all up. 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I'm one of those that six months after my first trip in 2008, never went home. The first trip though I was quite clueless about the Pattaya scene as the driving reason for coming was a mileage run. I chose to stay in Pattaya because hotels were cheap and had easy access to Scuba diving and windsurfing. The diving and windsurfing sucked, but the nightlife more than made up for those negatives. I was hooked and was fortunate I was at a point in life I could pack my bags and make the move here.

Bimg086.jpg

I was on my second trip and my first of many stays in the Residence Gardens.

I spent my day time round their pool writing my trip reports (including naughty photos) for sending to my mate Woody back in London who had a fear of flying. I did that and phoned him a week or so after every trip until his 16 year old daughter answered the phone with the words "Dan, I loved your trip report." 🤣

Anyway, I was introduced to a really nice guy from the States who was also staying in the RG. He told me he was a dentist on his first ever visit to Pattaya and had been there for exactly one week. He told me that he had made up his mind to go back to the States only to sell up and he was going to come straight back to Pattaya to retire.

I told him I thought he should make a couple of more trips before he made such a big step.

No, he was as good as his word  and four years later he found me a very nice Condo at Jomtien Beach Condominiums where he had purchased one of their larger corner properties.

Lost touch with him some time ago but I know he never regretted the move.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@GlasseyeHad no idea you were “stuck” over there that long. Where did you spend most of your time?

During the early stages of Covid - Pattaya VT 6. My decision to stay there was a conscious one, so technically I was not "stuck" there initially. There were times in the mid months were it could be said that I was stuck there, as the options were extremely limited (in some cases not possible). So, during that period I guess you could say - I was stuck. It actually was and still is where I want to be - Thailand (not so much Pattaya, but I will certainly be back there for regular visits to see friends).

During much of that time travels between provinces was significantly restricted. There was even a two or three week period where you could not get into or out of Pattaya (without the proper paperwork). I wasn't planning leaving at that time, but it was a bit surreal (and added a bit of anxiety level overall). It was like a relief valve was opened up after they discontinued that nonsense.

Later (in October 2020) Chiang Mai Province opened their doors to domestic travelers. So I packed my bags and headed up there. At the time they opened there was no restrictions, no quarentinte, etc. When I got off the plane I walked through the airport as normal, got in a cab and headed to a hotel. I was in heaven.

A couple weeks later I found a condo and settled in. Covid or not I was on Cloud 9.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1