Finnair upgrading long haul seating

Stillearly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just got off the phone to Finnair. I just wanted to confirm how many miles I needed to purchase a Business Class fare from Helsinki to Bangkok. I thought it was 160000 and I had that confirmed. I also asked about any restrictions on dates, booking periods and I was assured there were not.

I had read that you could only book award flights on Finnair within 60 days before departure. This was an article from 2020 but I am assured that you can book award flights now, at any time and the availability is not date restricted but only on whether seats are available for award use.

I would get myself to Helsinki on a separate award flight as I have over £460 in British Airways vouchers to be used before September. Happy to have a night both ways in Helsinki but likely to just do that one way. Ironically it appears the BA flights are operated by Finnair.

• Great Info 1

• 1 month later...

Received this from Finnair today, seems quite a few changes to their baggage and rewards flights. Luckily I am not affected as already booked but it will affect those booking after 01 June. The reward flight purchase with miles has also changed.

https://www.finnair.com/jp-en/finnair-plus/finnair-plus-changes

The same info in Business Travel magazine.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2023/05/16/finnair-reduces-baggage-allowances-and-tier-benefits/

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

I'm rather surprised to see a finnair flight at a good price tonight via UK Skyscanner. 

Less than £600 return and decent connection considering it not being direct. 

Dates October 10th till the 31st.would have booked it there and then but my wife in her infinite wisdom sent out the jungle drums and got half a dozen other Thais involved. So that went tits up for this evening. 

Just to add.... The price only included carry on bags, one small one for the overhead locker and one for under the seat. The return price for a 23 kg suitcase was ridiculous..... We all know what that's for don't we? 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

16 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Just to add.... The price only included carry on bags, one small one for the overhead locker and one for under the seat. The return price for a 23 kg suitcase was ridiculous.....

These are good for Oneworld frequent flyers as status with any Oneworld airline gets you a free hold bag on these fares.  I used Finnair a couple of times in the past couple of years and benefited from this through Qatar Gold status.  Sadly that's expiring at the end of this year with not much chance of it being renewed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KWA said:

These are good for Oneworld frequent flyers as status with any Oneworld airline gets you a free hold bag on these fares.  I used Finnair a couple of times in the past couple of years and benefited from this through Qatar Gold status.  Sadly that's expiring at the end of this year with not much chance of it being renewed.

When I travel on Finnair next week, I will benefit from having added hand luggage and an extra large bag to check in. That is only though that I booked my flights before the changes to their baggage policy. I doubt I will be looking at Finnair for a future flight.

• 1 month later...

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/10/30/finnair-opening-avios-seats/?fbclid=IwAR3sQxPWO_eSpH0f3OwbGX6dCzzgnFdro8XibUuYnt4m8i5q9wffrrB6Ni0_aem_AfzfeQfXHVbDradzMoVOCHAQ1nv-g-bv6wdRNMSSRqL6PVujanvaFcJfMZjHTdHrMZw

Back in August, in an unexpected move, Finnair announced it will be adopting Avios as its loyalty currency from early 2024.

It joins British Airways, Qatar Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Aer Lingus in adopting Avios.

The first benefit of this partnership will go live on Wednesday. Finnair will open up its promised level of guaranteed Avios availability on virtually ALL flights from 1st February.

This offers a rare opportunity to book key cities in Asia, such as Tokyo, Osaka and Bangkok, for virtually the date of your choice

• Great Info 1

27 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/10/30/finnair-opening-avios-seats/?fbclid=IwAR3sQxPWO_eSpH0f3OwbGX6dCzzgnFdro8XibUuYnt4m8i5q9wffrrB6Ni0_aem_AfzfeQfXHVbDradzMoVOCHAQ1nv-g-bv6wdRNMSSRqL6PVujanvaFcJfMZjHTdHrMZw

Back in August, in an unexpected move, Finnair announced it will be adopting Avios as its loyalty currency from early 2024.

It joins British Airways, Qatar Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Aer Lingus in adopting Avios.

The first benefit of this partnership will go live on Wednesday. Finnair will open up its promised level of guaranteed Avios availability on virtually ALL flights from 1st February.

This offers a rare opportunity to book key cities in Asia, such as Tokyo, Osaka and Bangkok, for virtually the date of your choice

A plus for me is the easy connections in Helsinki. Flights leave on time as few arrivals/departures leading to on-time flights. Small airport with short transit times, works for me. 

The A350 is a lovely plane as well.

A small minus for the drinkers in economy you will get a free drink on the trolley first time and a free drink with your meal. All other drinks chargeable.

Last time I flew Emirates via Dubai I hated the transit melee, like Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve. Helsinki was like Sainsbury on Christmas day, devoid of people.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

• 1 month later...

First time reading this thread, as will only fly direct to Thailand.

But using Finnair in Feb to fly to Northern Lapland, so was interested. 

Surprised me some posters at the start saying Helsinki was a shambles. Anything i've read about it, and all recently in various Lapland groups, was Helsinki was small, well run and very easy to navigate. I'm not bothered anyway, both going and coming back have stop offs of 2 and half hours going, and 4 hours back, the 4 hours i've booked the non Schengen lounge. So plenty time if need be.

I rang Finn Air this morning, and was actually talking to a human, i assume a Finn, in about 1minute, which happily surprised me. 

On my flights i also have free internet (for messaging?), free 'berry juice'. Wowzer! :default_biggrin: 

I could've got direct flights via easyjet or Ryanair to Rovaniemi, then got a 6 hour train to where i want to to go for about £200 cheaper. But the Finn Air times suit me, leave Heathrow at 10.20am, means i can get a good night's sleep, up at 6am, breakfast, shower,  and be at Heathrow in plenty of time, at a cost of about £2. Don't want to  be wrecked on a short 6 day trip that will involve a ,lot of physical stuff like trekking, cross country skiing etc. The Easyjet and Ryanair were Gatwick (which always concerns me re delays anyway) and Stanstead, with associated extra cost each way and either about 6am or 6pm starts. With Finn Air, change at Helsinki, fly to Ivalo, 1 and half hour to where i want to go at https://www.giellajohka.com/

Quite looking forward to flying with them. I'll update the thread, pics of the lounge etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

First time reading this thread, as will only fly direct to Thailand.

But using Finnair in Feb to fly to Northern Lapland, so was interested. 

Surprised me some posters at the start saying Helsinki was a shambles. Anything i've read about it, and all recently in various Lapland groups, was Helsinki was small, well run and very easy to navigate. I'm not bothered anyway, both going and coming back have stop offs of 2 and half hours going, and 4 hours back, the 4 hours i've booked the non Schengen lounge. So plenty time if need be.

I rang Finn Air this morning, and was actually talking to a human, i assume a Finn, in about 1minute, which happily surprised me. 

On my flights i also have free internet (for messaging?), free 'berry juice'. Wowzer! :default_biggrin: 

I could've got direct flights via easyjet or Ryanair to Rovaniemi, then got a 6 hour train to where i want to to go for about £200 cheaper. But the Finn Air times suit me, leave Heathrow at 10.20am, means i can get a good night's sleep, up at 6am, breakfast, shower,  and be at Heathrow in plenty of time, at a cost of about £2. Don't want to  be wrecked on a short 6 day trip that will involve a ,lot of physical stuff like trekking, cross country skiing etc. The Easyjet and Ryanair were Gatwick (which always concerns me re delays anyway) and Stanstead, with associated extra cost each way and either about 6am or 6pm starts. With Finn Air, change at Helsinki, fly to Ivalo, 1 and half hour to where i want to go at https://www.giellajohka.com/

Quite looking forward to flying with them. I'll update the thread, pics of the lounge etc. 

You must have missed my post about my unused Finnair gift card, value 90 Euro, going for about £40, maybe posted while you were on one of your siestas from the forum. 

I am likely to not use the gift voucher before April when it runs out,

If you need to upgrade or change flights at cost the gift voucher (just a numbered gift usable by anybody) can be used so if you are changing things, let me know, probably let it go for about £20 now.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

22 hours ago, Horizondave said:

You must have missed my post about my unused Finnair gift card, value 90 Euro, going for about £40, maybe posted while you were on one of your siestas from the forum. 

If you need to upgrade or change flights at cost the gift voucher (just a numbered gift usable by anybody) can be used so if you are changing things, let me know, probably let it go for about £20 now.

I wasn't aware of that, no. Or i would have bought it off you before booking.

A quick check shows it can only be used to book flights, not for extras like seats or food etc, or i still would have got it off you now.

But, if i enjoy Giellajohka as much as i think i will, i plan on doing it as a yearly thing each February, a wilderness pilgrimage retreat, if you like :default_biggrin:

I notice Finn Air allow you to book near enough a year in advance, so would certainly give you £20 for it in March if it's still available, when i could book for next Feb.

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

I wasn't aware of that, no. Or i would have bought it off you before booking.

A quick check shows it can only be used to book flights, not for extras like seats or food etc, or i still would have got it off you now.

But, if i enjoy Giellajohka as much as i think i will, i plan on doing it as a yearly thing each February, a wilderness pilgrimage retreat, if you like :default_biggrin:

I notice Finn Air allow you to book near enough a year in advance, so would certainly give you £20 for it in March if it's still available, when i could book for next Feb.

Good stuff.

There is a possibility I might do a night in Helsinki as some of Finnair's flights are pretty cheap on a return economy basis. I have been through Helsinki twice but not been in to town. 

If I use it, I will mention it on this thread but presently it is available and probably still will be in February. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2023 at 12:29 AM, Horizondave said:

What date in April does this run out, Dave? I've loved my time here so much, I'm gonna book another week from 24th Feb. Though FinnAir only put flights on a week or 10 days before the year, so could book and use the voucher probably mid March if still valid? 

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

What date in April does this run out, Dave? I've loved my time here so much, I'm gonna book another week from 24th Feb. Though FinnAir only put flights on a week or 10 days before the year, so could book and use the voucher probably mid March if still valid? 

It runs out on the 06 April 2024. Value 90 Euro.

If you want it I will send the voucher to you by message. It has the voucher number and pin number to enable use. If you actually then use it, just send me £20/25. I will not use it.

PM when needing voucher.

Edit. as per Finnair:

Finnair gift card is not personal, so you can give it to someone else or purchase flights for others as well. Finnair gift card is valid for one year. Please buy your ticket before the expiration date marked on the gift card. Travel date can be later (max 360 days from the day of the purchase). Unused vouchers or a part of them are not redeemed.

Edited by Horizondave

20 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

It runs out on the 06 April 2024. Value 90 Euro.

If you want it I will send the voucher to you by message. It has the voucher number and pin number to enable use. If you actually then use it, just send me £20/25. I will not use it.

PM when needing voucher.

Edit. as per Finnair:

Finnair gift card is not personal, so you can give it to someone else or purchase flights for others as well. Finnair gift card is valid for one year. Please buy your ticket before the expiration date marked on the gift card. Travel date can be later (max 360 days from the day of the purchase). Unused vouchers or a part of them are not redeemed.

Sounds as if it'll all be okay. 

Gonna book for a week from Monday 24th February, so reckon I'll be able to do that from about 10th March.

And that's also inside the 360 days of purchase. I've actually just walk FinnAir Business lounge now. Overall I'll quite impressed with FinnAir. I like them, like their planes, and love their free blueberry juice lol. 

20240222_154507.jpg

20240222_154441.jpg

20240222_154502.jpg

20240222_154456.jpg

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

Sounds as if it'll all be okay. 

Gonna book for a week from Monday 24th February, so reckon I'll be able to do that from about 10th March.

And that's also inside the 360 days of purchase. I've actually just walk FinnAir Business lounge now. Overall I'll quite impressed with FinnAir. I like them, like their planes, and love their free blueberry juice lol. 

20240222_154507.jpg

20240222_154441.jpg

20240222_154502.jpg

20240222_154456.jpg

I am a Finnair groupie, I like their service and I really like the quietness and ease of moving around that Helsinki airport. The lounge is really great, but I nearly complained when I was there; for some reason they had a program about 600lb women and the view of them taking a shower and sitting in their beds was not an image I will readily forget, especially while eating my food and guzzling quality wine.

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I am a Finnair groupie, I like their service and I really like the quietness and ease of moving around that Helsinki airport. The lounge is really great, but I nearly complained when I was there; for some reason they had a program about 600lb women and the view of them taking a shower and sitting in their beds was not an image I will readily forget, especially while eating my food and guzzling quality wine.

Place is half empty at the moment.

Have to say, Lapland, Northern Lights or whatever must be really fashionable with a lot of Asians at the moment. I've seen more what look like Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese etc people in Helsinki Airport than when I see in Swampy. 

I got talking to a young Thai couple at Ivalo Airport, and they had been to see the Aurora, husky sledging etc. Female was a Doctor, I was calling them hiso, they were laughing.

Loads of Asian restaurants in Helsinki airport, and they have this coconut vegetable soup here in the lounge which is lovely, spicy. Though the wife would roll her eyes and say 'For children' 🤣

20240222_162258.jpg

20240222_160642.jpg

20240222_155953.jpg

20240222_162248.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

When I flew back with EVA last year my son basically said that I stank when I got off the coach. So what bothers me is the flight into LHR and sitting next to some poor soul for 90 minutes or so..

Is there time for a shower in Helsinki. Are there showers available for cabbage class ... Although I will probably fly business class if I can afford it...??

44 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I've seen more what look like Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese etc people in Helsinki Airport than when I see in Swampy. 

Doesn't it annoy you that now you cannot just say "orientals"? 🙁