All Currency Exchanges are not the same.

john luke

0B0A9440.jpg

0B0A9441.jpg

Nothing new, for those who have regularly visited Pattaya over the years, however I think it is worth pointing out to any newer members or less frequent visitors the need to check rates before changing overseas currency into Thai Baht.

TT Currency Exchanges have been around for some time and generally offer to good service.

Again regular visitors are more likely to have a Thai Bank Account and use Wise or similar to transfer money into Thailand.  New visitors are more likely to bring cash and change it are a currency exchange booth.

All these pictures were taken this morning.  

0B0A9433.jpg

I used to take a drive along Soi Bukhao and glance at the Exchange booths to see who are offering the best rates, but in the past it was usually the same TT that was offering the highest. 

I know that a lot of visitors change money at the airport before travelling to their destination, at the main booths, but their rates are generally lower, so it's bes to draw just the minimum, for taxi etc. 

Travellers Cheques seem to be a thing of the past these days. 

There used to be a slightly better rate for exchanging  £50 notes but not sure if that's still the case. 

The Airport used to be the best rate anywhere, but now arguably the worst!.

I've found TT to be consistent , I did manage once to find an independent money exchange on Walking Street that offered parity with TT but overall, TT are probably the best for cash rates. ATM rates tend to be wank as well, as they come with a charge if using a debit card. Best avoided unless an emergency.

Pre-Covid, one could go down to the basement in Suvarnabhumi and into the railway station concourse.

Three booths (I think) were sited between the ticket machines and the ticked barriers.

These offered a rate similar to the Pattaya TT rate.

I assume that this was possible because they were in the railway station, not the airport, and did not have to belong to the airport cartel.

Does anyone know if they are still open?

26 minutes ago, cosceguinhas said:

Pre-Covid, one could go down to the basement in Suvarnabhumi and into the railway station concourse.

Three booths (I think) were sited between the ticket machines and the ticked barriers.

I assume that this was possible because they were in the railway station, not the airport, and did not have to belong to the airport cartel.

I remember them on my last trip. No idea if still open though. 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:34 AM, lazarus said:

Super Rich in Bangkok was the place to go when I lived there.

6 hours ago, cosceguinhas said:

Not sure if they are still there, they did have a web site that had close to their live rates.

When I brought my young son to Thailand we used to play the exchange rate game to see where the best rate was. I was teaching him that as JL said not all exchange booths were the same.

7 hours ago, cosceguinhas said:

One of those booths was Super Rich. Great rates. If they are closed now I am confident they will re-open as the masses return.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, lazarus said:

Super Rich in Bangkok was the place to go when I lived there.

Excellent rates there. My go to place in BKK was Vasu Exchange, an independent money changer on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 by Nana BTS. For those who are unfamiliar with it it is not a booth but an old fashioned shop type operation. It operates standard office hours, 9 - 6, and is closed on Sundays.