Ukraine- live on the ground reporting now!

Sherlock

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

Yesterday, on FB, he posted that he was hoping to get on a train to Moldova.

5 hours ago, Krapow said:

He did yea.

Also seen him posting on FB earlier today, replying to some article, so he seems to be okay.

Cheers guys, haven't been on Facebook lately, will check there for further info.

15 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Thanks for everything guys, so here's the latest update.

I haven't been on any forums since Saturday morning, when I was kicked out of the ibis in Kyiv as the curfew was going to Start then. All hotels were ordered to close and employees to return home. So from Saturday lunchtime, until Monday lunch time, the Kyiv train station has been my home. No shops, supermarkets or anything have been open in that time, so for 48 hours I ate 2 twin bars and 2 bottles of water!!!! Cold concrete floors have been my home, but at least it has been safe for me, as armed Kyiv police have been guarding all entrances to the station every hour! Even got to watch a group of 10 of them swing into action early one morning, and boy do these guys kick ass and know what they are doing!! 1person tried to get in and he evenually got such a kick-ing from them!!!

Also managed to get my suitcase stolen as I closed my eyes for no more than 20 minutes! Woke top and it had gone!!!!  Informed the police who didnt speak any English at all and im guessing really didn't give a shit about it, which to be fair them and the job their were doing, I dont blame them.! Searched the entire train station as I knew the bag was still in there because NO ONE was allowed outdoors at all! Couldn't find it so sat down again from where it was taken from, only to see it was underneath another bench some distance away form me. Im guessing whoever took it was sat above it and just hif=ding it underneath the chair so they could walk out with it later! I got it back though, got I took a smack in the head for it and im pretty sure when I told on his hand I heard the sound of a bone or 2 breaking! To me thats called karma!!There was a little shop inside, that wasn't open, but its free wifi was still working which was what I was using! FB was the only place I went to fir posting as it was easier!  

Pretty much trains were getting cancelled, except most trains going east towards the fighting continued! Strange that one! All trains at night cancelled during the air raid sirens and bombing that was taking place! Never managed to see any jets or cruise missiles, but you couldn't not but hear the sound of explosions when they struck a target, and you could hear the dull thud of the AA batteries going off! Gun fire on the streets was constant. I didnt see any myself but I certainly could hear it and it was fucking close enough to have fucking worried!

Money morning and managed to get on a train going to Kovel in western Ukraine! That was a 10 hour journey I really dont want to have to take again!

Now, here's when it gets really interesting. I have to say,ive never ever before experienced the warmth, and hospitality and generosity of so many people before. On the train in, we we were told when we get there to get off the train and stand on the platform. we were goign to be given food and shelter for the night. So they bussed me to  a school, gave me tea and buscuits and a bed for the night. me and 30 other people! In the morning, more tea and a hot breakfast, rice/omelette,tea/breads,sauages,cabbage and beetroot! Sandwiches were give out too. The we boarded  a bus to the border crossing at Kovel, where it took 8 hours to get across.(apparently this was actually one of the quieter border crossings out of Ukraine anywhere) The bus took us all over completely onto Polish soil. Once we cleared immiagration on the polish side there was so much food and drink given out to anyone who wanted it. These people were just so kind. None of this was Red Cross either. All volunteer people just helping out. We were taken to a church nearby, where more food and drink was given out. Managed to organise some transport form here  to get me to Warsaw, which is were I arrived at 01;30am this morning!!! Everything that happen from getting on the train, to been dropped off out side the main train station in Warsaw was free!!! Even the trains out of Kyiv was free for everyone! You just had to fight your way onto that train you wanted!!

And now your up to date as I write this, now need to get a flight booked back to the UK.

I can't even imagine ..

So glad you're safe and hope you make it to the U.K asap .

Good to hear about  the kindness shown to you.

• Like 2

Good news you made it to safe territory. Sounds like a nightmare experience. Once you get home, food, shower and decent night sleep, you will start to reflect on your experience.

I fear the worse is yet to come for many Ukrainians over the next few days. But the people of the free world are 100% behind them. The problem is that, not being a NATO member has allowed Putin to invade in the knowledge that NATO countries will not put boots on the ground or declare war.  They can only give support by sending arms and equipment, finance, sanctions against the agressors, intelligence and moral support.

This is not the people's war,including Russians. It's Putin's war. 

Hope you manage to get a flight soon from Warsaw. 

• Like 2

What an amazing life experience - something that so many people in the past have experienced, but which today is rarely occurring outside of 3rd world countries.  Glad to hear you got through OK and best wishes going forward.

• Like 1

When you see Putin is willing to ignore all conventions, all engagement rules and is happy to bomb a nuclear facility then I worry that this will not end well.  He is like a wounded dog that will continue to bite and fight until somebody puts him out of his misery and that is my hope; hope that somebody close to him will see how unhinged he is and put a stop to his madness, preferably with a bullet.

We may have the power and weapons to supply Ukraine but as Putin is not fighting a conventional war this may not end as we expect, it isn't going to be pretty and I really feel for the people of Ukraine.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

When you see Putin is willing to ignore all conventions, all engagement rules and is happy to bomb a nuclear facility then I worry that this will not end well.  He is like a wounded dog that will continue to bite and fight until somebody puts him out of his misery and that is my hope; hope that somebody close to him will see how unhinged he is and put a stop to his madness, preferably with a bullet.

We may have the power and weapons to supply Ukraine but as Putin is not fighting a conventional war this may not end as we expect, it isn't going to be pretty and I really feel for the people of Ukraine.

I unfortunately think you may well be correct 

O2 ARE NOT crediting back for phone calls or data usage for calls made inside of Ukraine or calls made to Ukraine, unlike other phone companies that are more than happy to waive all fees incurred from usage in Ukraine!!!!

They have basically said "go f**k yourself" to me this morning on the phone!! As a long standing 02 customer of 18 years, and they cant even help me out with my excessive charges, and yeah they are HUGE charges!! So it seems O2 care more about money and profit than they do for their loyal customers!!

I think now is the time to rethink my position as a customer of O2!!!

3 hours ago, Sherlock said:

O2 ARE NOT crediting back for phone calls or data usage for calls made inside of Ukraine or calls made to Ukraine, unlike other phone companies that are more than happy to waive all fees incurred from usage in Ukraine!!!!

They have basically said "go f**k yourself" to me this morning on the phone!! As a long standing 02 customer of 18 years, and they cant even help me out with my excessive charges, and yeah they are HUGE charges!! So it seems O2 care more about money and profit than they do for their loyal customers!!

I think now is the time to rethink my position as a customer of O2!!!

If I was you mate I would get that on Twitter and maybe even Facebook that's the best way to get anything done with these shithouse companies once they are shamed they will cave in especially as it is bad for business for them.

Good luck and glad you arrived safe.

• Thumbs Up 1