Is this a good lifestyle? Pro's and con's

Butch

I spent some time in Montreal but fortunately on a course not working,I think it got down to -30.

@Derek Dangleberries I also spent some time on exercise in Germany in the winter but being RAF softies we were tucked up in our own beds at night.

Hottest I've worked was out on the apron in Riyadh in the summer....+40 and probably hotter out there on the apron.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never liked the cold, especially now as the circulation in my fingers has got pretty poor. My fingers go numb above freezing in normal daily activities, and on my bike it only has to drop under ten degrees to affect them, even using heated grips and hand guards.

I put it down to the 15 years using vibrating power tools in the motor trade. Apparently it causes problems long term.

I spent 18 days rowing a boat on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. Daytime temps reached 120+F. Didn't cool down all that much at night as the hot air was trapped in the canyon. Water was cold though...

Lava Falls.jpg

• Like 4

Spent 18 winters almost everyday out on the ski slopes; working full time the last six of them. Would often just go inside for a quick break. It was often very cold and windy, many days below zero F (+wind chill). Life in town would be snow & ice for the better part of five months.

Fun while it lasted...

One day on an arctic working trip I had an epiphany - i was about 25' up a wooden pole, climbed with the hooks that you strap onto your feet/lower leg, in -30C with at least a 30kmh wind blowing and was troubleshooting a telephone line, buggering around with 22ga or smaller wires with my bare hands as you just can't do this sort of thing with gloves on. 

I swore that I would never complain about heat again as long as I lived, and I haven't - I've worked and hung around with people who never seem to be happy with the weather, it is either too cold or too hot for them but I say bring on the heat - doing physical activities out in the heat may be tiring, but cold hurts - for example, try fixing your car out in the driveway in the winter in comparison to doing the same on a hot summer day. 

When I am in Pattaya I regularly go for long walks in the afternoon heat and I don't mind it at all; I have my usual pit stops along the way and keep hydrated and I am good to go. 

• Like 2

Can't stand the cold, not interested in snow, ice or winter weather.

I crave above 70°F all year round although that is impossible in UK.

Went skiing once, didn't rock my boat.

I only like to see snow when it is out the window of the plane when heading to some hot beach resort or Far Eastern destination

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Went skiing once, didn't rock my boat.

I've had a few mates over the years try to get me to go on a skiing holiday.

My reply was always the same "Why would I want to go somewhere cold on holiday?"....Especially when I could go to Thailand or the PI.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1