Bangkok and Other Airports - Your Recent Experience - Busy, OK or Quiet. Please Add your Experiences.

john luke

On 6/28/2022 at 7:06 AM, john luke said:

@Britboy @Bazle and anyone else who has recently flown.  Could you add a few lines about your airport experiences.

Thanks.

Sure John, no problem.

At Heathrow it was fine. I got there 4 hours before my flight (Finnair, via Helsinki), straight to check in terminal 3, no queue, was done in 5 minutes, despite having 2 extra hold bags, which I'd booked online and paid for. While I could book seats online and check in for London to Helsinki, I couldn't check in for the 2nd leg, despite having to load my Thai Pass. However, on check in at the airport, they wanted to see my Thai Pass (online was fine), whereby they gave me the boarding card for the Helsinki to BKK leg. As it turned out it was the same plane both legs, same seat both legs. It was a "Comfort Seat", which is basically the same (if not slightly better from a leg room point of view) as Premium Economy.

There was a pretty long line at security, as a guess I'd say it was 40 minutes to get through that.

At no point did I have to show my Covid vaccination certificates, either when booking the flight or at Heathrow, or in Helsinki or in BKK. I'm guessing they take the Thai Pass as verification of that, as they had to be downloaded to obtain that.

Flight left on time from Heathrow to Helsinki, arriving on time too. I had 1 hour 45 mins in Helsinki, departing from same gate, same plane, same seat.

Despite being nearly midnight there was a bar open and a smoking lounge, all within close proximity of the gate.

Boarding for the 2nd leg at Helsinki was a shambles, ignored the groups method of boarding, resulting in it taking double the time it should have done. It was pathetic and an embarrassment for Finnair.

As a result we left a bit late and due to not flying over Russian air space it was an odd flightpath, basically flying due south for ages before turning east. It was 11 hours 45 mins from Helsinki to BKK, I'm sure in normal times it would be much less than that.

At BKK it was a breeze, no queues, but as per usual the gate we pulled up to was miles from immigration. No queues at immigration, but for sure the immigration guys were more stringent than I've seen them in all my years of coming here. I got quizzed cos I had a retirement visa before, which had now expired. "You no have visa now?" was her first question. She also wanted to see my boarding passes, from both legs. I've learned in the past to keep them, so had them in my pocket. I wouldn't have worried about the London to Helsinki leg but I kept the Helsinki to BKK boarding card as it had my luggage tags on it. All was in order, she was just doing her job, and I was through.

Still had to wait maybe 20 minutes for the bags to show up, thankfully all 3 showed up. I always worry about that if I have to make a change.

Thankfully customs were their usual selves (sitting on their phones) and with everyone wearing masks it's probably more difficult to get pulled. As I walked through, with a few other people, I thought I heard a muffled noise from a customs guy, but I purposely didn't look round. I had a bunch of cigars (duty paid I might add as bought them in UK before leaving, not duty free) spread across my 3 bags and my carry on laptop bag. Phew . . . 

So overall, it was a normal experience. I think with the Thai Pass not necessary as of tomorrow it'll be even easier. Having said that, the Thai Pass kind of guarantees certain things, so without it the airports may be more stringent. Personally I think the Thai Pass was a good idea and they should retain it. It's an easy way to verify Covid Passes before you travel, surely that saves time going through airports.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 4

6 hours ago, Britboy said:

Sure John, no problem.

At Heathrow it was fine. I got there 4 hours before my flight (Finnair, via Helsinki), straight to check in terminal 3, no queue, was done in 5 minutes, despite having 2 extra hold bags, which I'd booked online and paid for. While I could book seats online and check in for London to Helsinki, I couldn't check in for the 2nd leg, despite having to load my Thai Pass. However, on check in at the airport, they wanted to see my Thai Pass (online was fine), whereby they gave me the boarding card for the Helsinki to BKK leg. As it turned out it was the same plane both legs, same seat both legs. It was a "Comfort Seat", which is basically the same (if not slightly better from a leg room point of view) as Premium Economy.

There was a pretty long line at security, as a guess I'd say it was 40 minutes to get through that.

At no point did I have to show my Covid vaccination certificates, either when booking the flight or at Heathrow, or in Helsinki or in BKK. I'm guessing they take the Thai Pass as verification of that, as they had to be downloaded to obtain that.

Flight left on time from Heathrow to Helsinki, arriving on time too. I had 1 hour 45 mins in Helsinki, departing from same gate, same plane, same seat.

Despite being nearly midnight there was a bar open and a smoking lounge, all within close proximity of the gate.

Boarding for the 2nd leg at Helsinki was a shambles, ignored the groups method of boarding, resulting in it taking double the time it should have done. It was pathetic and an embarrassment for Finnair.

As a result we left a bit late and due to not flying over Russian air space it was an odd flightpath, basically flying due south for ages before turning east. It was 11 hours 45 mins from Helsinki to BKK, I'm sure in normal times it would be much less than that.

At BKK it was a breeze, no queues, but as per usual the gate we pulled up to was miles from immigration. No queues at immigration, but for sure the immigration guys were more stringent than I've seen them in all my years of coming here. I got quizzed cos I had a retirement visa before, which had now expired. "You no have visa now?" was her first question. She also wanted to see my boarding passes, from both legs. I've learned in the past to keep them, so had them in my pocket. I wouldn't have worried about the London to Helsinki leg but I kept the Helsinki to BKK boarding card as it had my luggage tags on it. All was in order, she was just doing her job, and I was through.

Still had to wait maybe 20 minutes for the bags to show up, thankfully all 3 showed up. I always worry about that if I have to make a change.

Thankfully customs were their usual selves (sitting on their phones) and with everyone wearing masks it's probably more difficult to get pulled. As I walked through, with a few other people, I thought I heard a muffled noise from a customs guy, but I purposely didn't look round. I had a bunch of cigars (duty paid I might add as bought them in UK before leaving, not duty free) spread across my 3 bags and my carry on laptop bag. Phew . . . 

So overall, it was a normal experience. I think with the Thai Pass not necessary as of tomorrow it'll be even easier. Having said that, the Thai Pass kind of guarantees certain things, so without it the airports may be more stringent. Personally I think the Thai Pass was a good idea and they should retain it. It's an easy way to verify Covid Passes before you travel, surely that saves time going through airports.

Will be taking the same flights in 3 weeks. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Will be taking the same flights in 3 weeks. Looking forward to it.

I'd fly this way again if a direct flight either wasn't possible or ridiculously expensive as they are right now.

Without the need for a Thai Pass you'll probably be able to check in online for the Helsinki to BKK leg too.

Safe travels bud.

• Thumbs Up 1

BKK, my experiences in and out.

Practically no queues, but to get boarding pass. Everything takes more time than before. Immigration asked odd questions (going in). It was beyond my imagination why he asked these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heathrow departure Terminal 2

Note, this is from 2 weeks ago:

16:50 departure Emirates Air

Still very busy checking in, 4-5 hours prior to departure suggested. Check in and Security took approx 1 hour with queues quite long.

Dubai Airport Transit

Awaiting update.(will fill in when I get the info)

Clark Airport in the Philippines:

Emirates flight inbound, early evening arrival (17:30).

No issues reported, all systems working and well staffed. The RP no longer needs pre departure evidence of a clear PCR or LFT test, but it still  does require the One Health Pass to be filled in.

Checks are made when leaving the Aircraft via a small booth at the end of the ramp, the again at Immigration desk and lastly at the Customs Declaration area. No queues at immigration to speak of, very easy.

Stansted Airport Arrival UK

No issues, all E gates working fine, inbound arrival mid morning. No Baggage problems, queues move along fairly quickly.

LHR T2 Arrival:

Edit in****

Not a great experience.

Security was again, quite busy but the queue moved along at a steady pace, taking 30 mins to complete. Not all E gates working.

Baggage took 1 hour and 20 mins to arrive due to staffing issues. T2 Baggage hall is awash with discarded bags, and they're removed from the carousel and placed initially nearby, but then moved to random areas if not claimed for a while, so it might take a while to actually find your own.

Good idea is to make it recogniseable by the addition of tape or some straps, or maybe an apple air tag if you have one.

Edited by Butch
  • Thanks 1

I flew out of Manchester on Thursday evening.  The Emirates flight was scheduled to leave at 2115 hours.  Business Class check out was what I would describe as normal; three desks open and four people waiting, when I arrived.  Quite a long queue for economy but only occupying the check out area and not extending out of the building.  

Fast track security was included with my ticket; I joined a queue of about six people and was almost immediately directed to one of the security tracks.  Conscious of luggage issues I had all my photo equipment in my cabin bags; I was asked to remove the camera from its bag along with a 300 ml lens as well as the usual lap tops and iPads.  Went through security and was subject to a personal search as well as the scanner.  

Quite a wait (probably about five to ten minutes or so before the luggage had passed through the scanner.  One of my bags was rejected and the security officer asked if he could examine the contents.  (It transpired that I had packed battery chargers and cables etc a little tightly and it was not possible to see what they were on the x ray machine.). All Ok so off to the lounge.  Whilst everyone moans about security, I would rather they were thorough even if that causes inconvenience.  

Onto the Emirates lounge, which was relatively quiet and a reasonable selection of food.  

Boarding took place on time however there was a delay in departing due to what the Captain described as Security Issues with luggage.

Dubai airport only required removal of lap top and iPads.  Everything sailed through.  No queues or delays.  The one question is whether they were as meticulous as their colleagues in Manchester?

The business lounge in Dubai which is massive was packed and we struggled to find a table and chairs.  It was around 0300 or 0400 hours (UK time) so not feeling at my best.

Boarding of the Dubai to Bangkok was without issue and no queue for business and first class passengers.

Arrival at Bangkok Airport was met with a large thunderstorm and heavy rain.  The captain announced that until the thunderstorm had disappeared the ground staff could not connect the air bridge so we were waiting about 15 to 20 minutes.  By the time the air bridge was connected and the plane doors were open everyone had got their luggage from the overhead racks so as everyone was ready departure was rapid producing concession on the route from arrival gate to Passport Control.  

Fast Track in Bangkok Airport has been moved, however the signs were not giving good directions.  Eventually arrived at Immigration (five or six people in the queue).  No issues at Passport Control.  The officer did not even look at my vaccination certificates.

Arrive at Luggage carousel, luggage was already circulating however our bags had not arrived.  All our checked bags arrived in the next five to ten minutes or so.  Customs were present but did not appear to be checking anyone.  

Entered the main area of the airport and walked along to concourse to see our taxi driver complete with name board.  Heavy rain for most of the journey and landed at the condo at 2202 hours.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Just buy a SIM with data when you arrive, it's only buttons you old scrooge :default_biggrin:

I know, all that, I don't need a SIM card these days, as most places in Pattaya have WiFi. That was not my question. Its only for the airport when I need to WhatsApp my taxi driver. 

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

No. Just don't buy stuff I don't need. 

Lol, actually you're so tight, that if I stuck a piece of coal up your arse, I'd have a diamond drop out within a week.

I understand a majority of Airports have free WiFi nowadays, it's a matter of opening up WiFi on the phone, clicking the free networks and then maybe opening up the browser to agree to the T&C's and maybe provide an email address.

In all seriousness, you're not a scrooge, far from it in fact.

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Lol, actually you're so tight, that if I stuck a piece of coal up your arse, I'd have a diamond drop out within a week.

I understand a majority of Airports have free WiFi nowadays, it's a matter of opening up WiFi on the phone, clicking the free networks and then maybe opening up the browser to agree to the T&C's and maybe provide an email address.

In all seriousness, you're not a scrooge, far from it in fact.

After a quick bit of research I learned that BKK airport does have free WiFi and you can sign in with name, email and passport number. Rules have changed apparently for taxi pick up, and Baz was telling me you have to come out of the airport, cross the road and get your taxi collection there, so having WiFi makes it easier to make a WhatsApp call or message to let the driver know that you are waiting and out of the airport. 

• Great Info 1

29 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

.... and Baz was telling me you have to come out of the airport, cross the road and get your taxi collection there,  ... 

To be clear, I was referring to Nam's taxi service. I don't know about others. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krapow said:

3 day refueling strike at Heathrow from Thursday ...

This was announced weeks ago and at the time it was advised that the majority of the airlines affected would be able to put in contingency plans to avoid disruption. The strike actually involves 50 staff but the airlines are not contractually obliged to buy their fuel only from AFS (Aviation Fuel Services) so should see less than expected affect hopefully.

I am hopeful this wording on media today is what Finnair will do although I can't find out if they are affected by the strike.

Short-haul flights can be fueled to operate both sectors at the origin airport. In contrast, long-haul flights can try to find the capacity to refuel at other refueling operators at Heathrow, which is likely very challenging in the current labor environment (probably no spare capacity).

• Great Info 1

Monday hottest day of the year Heathrow Terminal 2 very quiet and smooth as .... very pleasant and made a nice change.

Had to transfer in Phuket and they confiscated my duty free ..... I know should have checked it in on transfer but wish the Muslim security girl had not taken such delight in confiscating it. I said just throw it away .......

Swampy again quiet and pleasant. Roads to Pattaya quiet all in all ...... nice !!!!

Nice is good ...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Monday hottest day of the year Heathrow Terminal 2 very quiet and smooth as .... very pleasant and made a nice change.

Had to transfer in Phuket and they confiscated my duty free ..... I know should have checked it in on transfer but wish the Muslim security girl had not taken such delight in confiscating it. I said just throw it away .......

Swampy again quiet and pleasant. Roads to Pattaya quiet all in all ...... nice !!!!

Nice is good ...

You are more resident in Thailand than UK this year. Well done for Filling your boots and making the most of it

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:20 PM, Horizondave said:

This was announced weeks ago and at the time it was advised that the majority of the airlines affected would be able to put in contingency plans to avoid disruption. The strike actually involves 50 staff but the airlines are not contractually obliged to buy their fuel only from AFS (Aviation Fuel Services) so should see less than expected affect hopefully.

Strike now been called off.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62240728

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, KWA said:

Strike now been called off.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62240728

Thanks for the info, hadn't seen that.

Just might make my trip a little less stress free but humans have a way of screwing things up even in the most modern airports.

Will be leaving Neath, Wales in 90 minutes for my brother's and then on to Heathrow T3.

Thailand just seems a little bit more of a reality now but I will post once through departures, security etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Thanks for the info, hadn't seen that.

Just might make my trip a little less stress free but humans have a way of screwing things up even in the most modern airports.

Will be leaving Neath, Wales in 90 minutes for my brother's and then on to Heathrow T3.

Thailand just seems a little bit more of a reality now but I will post once through departures, security etc.

Have a safe and uneventful flight Dave!!

• Thumbs Up 1

For info, arrived Heathrow at 1425, sitting in lounge at 1505. Having a beer now. Finnair staff check you in, very friendly. 

Never got asked about Kataleya's length of stay using her British passport. Easy check in. Got both boarding cards.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

For info, arrived Heathrow at 1425, sitting in lounge at 1505. Having a beer now. Finnair staff check you in, very friendly. 

Never got asked about Kataleya's length of stay using her British passport. Easy check in. Got both boarding cards.

Stress levels dialed down considerably :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1