Apple Air Tags - Worthwhile or Useless Accessory?

john luke

Apple AirTag stalking is worse than anyone realized — what you can do |  Tom's Guide

Apple Air Tags - Worthwhile or Useless Accessory?

AirTag is a super-easy way to keep track of your stuff. Attach one to your keys, slip another in your backpack. And just like that, they’re on your radar in the Find My app, where you can also track down your Apple devices and keep up with friends and family.

I have one on my keys and I leave one in my car as a cheap LoJack in case it ever gets stolen.  They make dog collars and bracelets for children or adults who may wander off. I have a spare that I will try in my luggage on my upcoming trip.

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

What is the range of these devices? 

30 feet or 9 mtrs in new money.

Useless for most items stolen I would have thought.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Except if you hit find my tag on the Find My app it also sends a request to the Apple Core (Apple Central) which then sends the request to all Apple devices running the Find My app. If any of those devices detect the tag (within the 30 feet) the location is sent back to the requester. That's my understanding.

Edited by fygjam

24 minutes ago, Jambo said:

As I understand it, there are two ways that the air tag can be located.  Firstly by an Apple device which is logged in to your own Apple ID.  The 30 feet or 9 meters is correct.  The second way is if any Apple device is close to the device it picks it up and sends details of its location to devices owned by air tag owner and logged onto his/her Apple ID.