Cafe des Amis

ChiFlyer

I have always thought that we had been so very lucky to have been able to enjoy so many really excellent restaurants in and around Pattaya. Truly spoilt for choice.

One of the first I ever went regularly to was Nang Nual in Walking Street because I thought the seafood was excellent and it was. Being in WS it was expensive. Then years later we found a Thai seafood restaurant somewhere near Banglamung police station which did great seafood at half the price. 

There has always been something tasty to suit all budgets from the local noodle stall to the Sunday wine inclusive buffet at Mantra. They come and go but still plenty have survived.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Bruno's was founded in 1996 by Bruno Forrer and Alois (aka Louis) Fassbind, both of whom had been managers for many years at the Royal Cliff Hotel.  They hired the executive chef at the Royal Cliff, Fredi Schaub, to run the kitchen and later made him a partner.  He took over as owner in 2003 when both Forrer and Fassbind had passed away.

Evil

Interesting to say the least.

I was unaware of the connection to the Royal Cliff. I tried their Grill Room once, but it was a little too fancy for me. I was recently told by a friend in the condo complex where I live that the Chinese restaurant within the Royal Cliff is very good food wise, relatively inexpensive, and not crowd pressured.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Interesting to say the least.

I was unaware of the connection to the Royal Cliff. I tried their Grill Room once, but it was a little too fancy for me. I was recently told by a friend in the condo complex where I live that the Chinese restaurant within the Royal Cliff is very good food wise, relatively inexpensive, and not crowd pressured.  

I just got an email from the Royal Cliff. It said that their Chinese Restaurant (Huang Chao) is now open on the last Friday of the month.

https://www.royalcliff.com/shop/huang-chao/

I am guessing that Covid impacted their business to the point where they closed temporarily. hmmm - this Friday is the last Friday of June. I would guess this is their grand reopening. I would make a reservation, should one have the inclination to try the place. I have not made up my mind just yet.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Jambo said:

I have always thought that we had been so very lucky to have been able to enjoy so many really excellent restaurants in and around Pattaya. Truly spoilt for choice.

One of the first I ever went regularly to was Nang Nual in Walking Street because I thought the seafood was excellent and it was. Being in WS it was expensive. Then years later we found a Thai seafood restaurant somewhere near Banglamung police station which did great seafood at half the price. 

There has always been something tasty to suit all budgets from the local noodle stall to the Sunday wine inclusive buffet at Mantra. They come and go but still plenty have survived.

When I first started going to Pattaya (around 2000, I was previously a Latin Camp guy), I accidentally walked into Nang Nual with a couple of newly found friends from Super Girl. An incredible time was had by all and I really liked the seafood as well.

For a variety of reasons (not worth getting into) I did not return very often to Pattaya after that. I spent some time in Bangkok, but more in Brazil, Columbia, the DR, Saint Martin, Western Europe, El Salvador, and the PI.

In 2016 I retired and decided to do a 3 week celebration vacation in the Jomtien area. I remembered Nang Nual and went there and was quite disappointed with both the quality of the food and also the previous ambience was long gone.

I walked over to Super Girl and also not so good. Still I enjoyed my stay in Jomtien enough that I started considering it as my retirement destination. I have been here for 5+ years now.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1