Short trip to Vientiane

CampariO

11 hours ago, boydeste said:

Can you pay in Thai baht?

The government instucted business not to take any foreign currency, though some still take Baht and many prices are shown in KIP and Baht. There are few exchange booth and they close alteady in the afternoon. ATMs dispense maximum 2 million which is equvialent to 5000 Baht. Some even less.

• Thanks 1

Just changed some money at the official currency exchange, got 15880 for a Euro.

For a Baht they gave me 506 compared to 540 at the border and only 400 via ATM banking.

Edited by CampariO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CampariO said:

For a Baht they gave me 506 compared to 540 at the border 

That's around double what i was getting 6 or 7 years ago, then it was 245 - 250 Kip = 1 x Baht.

If prices have not also doubled then it makes Laos a very cheap place to visit.

6 hours ago, SteveBC said:

When i used to tour Laos on my motorbike, Thai Baht was accepted everywhere, in fact many places preferred it to the Laos Kip.

This probably depends on the rate they give you. With a poor rate they will make some extra cash when they change the Baht to KIP.

Here some rates in restaurants, not sure if they would have accepted any Baht. The last bill shows 8 US Cents, I doubt they would accept this.

IMG20220617142338.jpg

IMG20220616215515.jpg

IMG20220614205247.jpg

Edited by CampariO

2 hours ago, SteveBC said:

That's around double what i was getting 6 or 7 years ago, then it was 245 - 250 Kip = 1 x Baht.

If prices have not also doubled then it makes Laos a very cheap place to visit.

Looking at the long term chart, the Laos Kip is in trouble since last year. That is probably why the government wants the business to accept KIP only.

Unbenannt.jpg

For dinner we decided to go to a small place with a BBQ stand. The fish was sold out but the boss got on her motobike and got one. The sausage and fish were quite good, rips soso and tomyum one of the worst in my life. The sausage was more of a coarse bratwurst and not the Isaan sausage filled with rice.

IMG20220617182007.jpg

IMG20220617175759.jpg

IMG20220617175946.jpg

IMG20220617180836.jpg

IMG20220617181629.jpg

IMG20220617172933.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

@CampariOThanks very much for the posts in this thread, which I have only just come across.

I wanted to find out a bit about Vientiane to decide if it is worth the effort of visiting from Pattaya. 

You have helped a lot. My conclusion is that it isn't! I did enjoy my visit to Luang Prabang a few years ago, though.

36 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I wanted to find out a bit about Vientiane to decide if it is worth the effort of visiting from Pattaya. 

When taking a plane it is not much more an effort than going to some other capitals of the neighbouring countries - about an hour flight. By car we prefer to combine the trip to Vientiane with some other detinations, as it is quite a distance to drive.

For sure I would rate other places higher than Vientiane within 1-2 hours flight time, such as Siem Reap, Hanoi, Yangoon, though it always depends on why you are going there and what you want to do. Phnom Phen would be better for the nightlife/girls, Siem Reap for temples, Hanoi for the Halong Bay, ...

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 1:07 AM, CampariO said:

When taking a plane it is not much more an effort than going to some other capitals of the neighbouring countries - about an hour flight. By car we prefer to combine the trip to Vientiane with some other detinations, as it is quite a distance to drive.

For sure I would rate other places higher than Vientiane within 1-2 hours flight time, such as Siem Reap, Hanoi, Yangoon, though it always depends on why you are going there and what you want to do. Phnom Phen would be better for the nightlife/girls, Siem Reap for temples, Hanoi for the Halong Bay, ...

Would you go to Yangon at this time.

18 minutes ago, andycoll said:

Would you go to Yangon at this time.

No, not at the moment. Martial law is still in place in Yangon. There are night curfews (midnight to 4 a.m.). The German Foreign Office recommends German nationals to leave the country

• Great Info 1