Road trip to the north-east

CampariO

15 minutes ago, CampariO said:

Have something similar in mind, but much cheaper. More a small knock-down house or something that can be extended in future. Something I can stay for a night or 2 without having to stay in some colorful rooms in even more colorful resorts. Should not cost more than the 7 rai farmland we purchased 30 km south of Chaiyaphum.

The GF already owned 40 rai of farmland in the immediate area when I met her. (In case anyone does not know, a rai equals about 1/3 rd of an acre). 

One thing we did that some others may want to consider is we put in a retention pond. It fills up during rainy season and then can be used to irrigate the farm land during the dry season. There are trucks cheaply for hire who will come in and pump the water over the planted area.

In effect, this gives the farmer two crops a year instead of one. The retention pond cost 40,000. The GF and I split the cost. I paid 30,000. 😏I am going to have to work on her English a little more as to what split means. Seriously, I have no regrets for this. I think I offered her family and hence herself a better way of life without taking on an ongoing cost.

She put in some mango trees etc. in order to help shade the retention pond. These also offer fruit to be sold. I am continually amazed by the efficiency of how things are done by the Thai people.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

One thing we did that some others may want to consider is we put in a retention pond. It fills up during rainy season and then can be used to irrigate the farm land during the dry season. ....

In effect, this gives the farmer two crops a year instead of one.....

May I ask what is planted on the plot? We have currently rice and cassava. After harvest, the cassava field will be planted with sugar cane (no, I won't be making any rum, though the idea had crossed my mind).

Water is no issue, there is a klong running next to the plot.

IMG20220612151022 - Kopie.jpg

Also, there is a small pond which has some fish. As you can see, Mrs. CO is eating them already in her mind.

IMG20220612154210 - Kopie.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great Trip Report thanks for sharing with some wonderful photos along the way. We’ve visited many of those places so brings back some decent memories and some new ideas to visit. 🙏

Good report. 

I have been to Bung Kan a few times as that is where we have gone across the Mekong by ferry to Paksan to visit some of my wife's family. My wife is from Phon Phisai which is also nearby on the route from Nongkhai.

I like the area close to the Mekong and Chiang Khan is a really lovely place to stay a few days. I stayed there over my birthday and had my special meal at Huen Luang Prabang restaurant overlooking the river.

I need to get back that way but my next trip will be Khon Kaen to Sukhothai to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in late July.

16 hours ago, CampariO said:

May I ask what is planted on the plot? We have currently rice and cassava. After harvest, the cassava field will be planted with sugar cane (no, I won't be making any rum, though the idea had crossed my mind).

They plant primarily rice. Her brother is the hands on farmer. He brings in a damn fine crop of rice. He has been doing it for 30 years. I am not a big rice eater (too many carbs for this old fart), but I do look forward to getting some of the harvest.

On 6/24/2022 at 12:54 AM, ChiFlyer said:

The GF already owned 40 rai of farmland in the immediate area when I met her. (In case anyone does not know, a rai equals about 1/3 rd of an acre). 

One thing we did that some others may want to consider is we put in a retention pond. It fills up during rainy season and then can be used to irrigate the farm land during the dry season. There are trucks cheaply for hire who will come in and pump the water over the planted area.

In effect, this gives the farmer two crops a year instead of one. The retention pond cost 40,000. The GF and I split the cost. I paid 30,000. 😏I am going to have to work on her English a little more as to what split means. Seriously, I have no regrets for this. I think I offered her family and hence herself a better way of life without taking on an ongoing cost.

She put in some mango trees etc. in order to help shade the retention pond. These also offer fruit to be sold. I am continually amazed by the efficiency of how things are done by the Thai people.

I don't want to come across as picky or pedantic but what size was the retention pond you had built? Seems a huge amount of money (even if you did split the cost 😃). 

Mrs Smiler made a 20mx20m pool last year for less than 5k and that's not taking into account the soil she sold from the excavation. 300 baht a truck load as I seem to remember. 

The rains came early in our part of the jungle this year which led to an overwhelming abundance of mangoes. I've never seen so many in 14 years. Many people literally could not give them away let alone sell them. Guess the trick is to have them available when nobody else does and therefore the price is what people are prepared to pay. 

Durian is a prime example, today I saw it in the local market for 85baht. 4 months back was over 200...

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Been talking to Mrs Smiler about her pond. Seems it was some sort of government scheme she signed up for which was why it was so much cheaper than @ChiFlyer.

Apparently we had to wait almost a year after she first applied for it. She got 100 fish for 100 baht as part of the deal. No idea how many are still there. Its on a part of the estate (😁🙄) I rarely visit TBH.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Smiler said:

I don't want to come across as picky or pedantic but what size was the retention pond you had built? Seems a huge amount of money (even if you did split the cost 😃). 

Mrs Smiler made a 20mx20m pool last year for less than 5k and that's not taking into account the soil she sold from the excavation. 300 baht a truck load as I seem to remember. 

The rains came early in our part of the jungle this year which led to an overwhelming abundance of mangoes. I've never seen so many in 14 years. Many people literally could not give them away let alone sell them. Guess the trick is to have them available when nobody else does and therefore the price is what people are prepared to pay. 

Durian is a prime example, today I saw it in the local market for 85baht. 4 months back was over 200...

I do not recall the exact size of the retention pond, but it is fair sized. It is big enough to irrigate 40 rais a couple of times during the dry season. I am telling the GF that we should consider changing the prime crop to cannabis.