Hakuna Matata from East Africa

Mr. Smooth

2 hours ago, Pinoydave said:

@Mr. SmoothHow is it for safety?

Can you walk around freely at nighttime?

Do you really have to keep your passport with you all the time ?

It is as safe as anywhere I have ever traveled to, if not more. Several times I am the only white person at a pub and am treated with kindness and respect by staff and other customers might feel inclined to start up a conversation. And if there are any ladies nearby, more times than not, I'll catch them looking at me with a friendly expression. And the boda boda (motorbike) taxis are always nearby to get you home if needing a ride.

There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, even walking alone at night. My experience, even if the only white face on the road walking to another pub, or even back to my apt, I've yet to have any problems.

My passport never left my room safe once I checked into my apt. If it makes you feel better, you can have the hotel reception desk run off a second copy for you after they keep one for their records, and keep that copy on you when out and about, but I never have worried about it.

But just in case something happens, like a medical emergency, it's probably not a bad idea to carry a copy with you. I very well just might start doing that going forward.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

My passport never left my room safe once I checked into my apt. If it makes you feel better, you can have the hotel reception desk run off a second copy for you after they keep one for their records, and keep that copy on you when out and about, but I never have worried about it.

You could colour photocopy your passport info page down to the size of a driving licence/credit card (it's still easily readable) then laminate. It becomes a good, wallet sized, photo ID.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Are you unaware that your name is part of the traditional Swahili greeting ??

"Mambo" is the greeting.

"Jambo" is the reply 

The old Mambo Jambo.

If they had a B747 would it be the Mambo Jambo jumbo?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Zambo said:

You could colour photocopy your passport info page down to the size of a driving licence/credit card (it's still easily readable) then laminate. It becomes a good, wallet sized, photo ID.

Yeah, you could do that too I guess. My problem is, I never carry my wallet around with me either! When leaving the room for the night, all I take with me is my phone and an amount of cash I think would last me for the night, and then just a bit more than that.

In Kenya, I normally left to go out with about $8-10,000 KES...roughly $75-90 USD. Dinner and a tip might run 700-1000 KES with a beer. Afterward, those 500 ml sized bottles of beer were generally 250 shillings at a pub up to 300 at a nice lounge. Thats plenty of money for 7-8 beers plus buying a few for any women that caught my eye, in addition to tipping the staff and security guys at various spots, who always appreciated it.

If needing a ride back when calling it a night, that was only 100 shillings.

A check of my pockets in the morning would reveal still having 3000-3500 KES left.

And if I did have company that night, she might get 2500 of that. All in a days work as I might have $30,000 to 40,000 KES in my safe for my future endeavors.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Yeah, you could do that too I guess. My problem is, I never carry my wallet around with me either! When leaving the room for the night, all I take with me is my phone and an amount of cash I think would last me for the night, and then just a bit more than that.

In Kenya, I normally left to go out with about $8-10,000 KES...roughly $75-90 USD. Dinner and a tip might run 700-1000 KES with a beer. Afterward, those 500 ml sized bottles of beer were generally 250 shillings at a pub up to 300 at a nice lounge. Thats plenty of money for 7-8 beers plus buying a few for any women that caught my eye, in addition to tipping the staff and security guys at various spots, who always appreciated it.

If needing a ride back when calling it a night, that was only 100 shillings.

A check of my pockets in the morning would reveal still having 3000-3500 KES left.

And if I did have company that night, she might get 2500 of that. All in a days work as I might have $30,000 to 40,000 KES in my safe for my future endeavors.

No phone? (good for security i agree, but nowadays who goes anywhere without their phone) If you have your phone a photo of your passport would be better than nothing.

If no phone then back to the credit card sized colour passport photocopy. I used to use this all the time before the UK brought in photocard driving licences, never had it rejected as an ID. In this case just punch a hole and hang it around your neck.

Edited by Zambo

22 minutes ago, Zambo said:

No phone? (good for security i agree, but nowadays who goes anywhere without their phone) If you have your phone a photo of your passport would be better than nothing.

If no phone then back to the credit card sized colour passport photocopy. I used to use this all the time before the UK brought in photocard driving licences, never had it rejected as an ID. In this case just punch a hole and hang it around your neck.

I wrote that I DO take my phone, plus the money I think will sufficient for the night.