Exchange rate going goofy

Yesitisdakid

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Happy about the dollar but look at the pound !

Yep - looks to be "chasing" parity with the USD.

Atm its 1 GBP to USD 1.09 (according to Mr Google), but it was at a low of $1.035 against the US dollar earlier today as markets reopened after the weekend

GBP / Baht cross rate may be holding up a bit better ?

Some context -

GBP-to-USD-50-Year-chart.png#image.jpg

Edited by Zeb
  • Great Info 1

9 hours ago, Zeb said:

Yep - looks to be "chasing" parity with the USD.

Atm its 1 GBP to USD 1.09 (according to Mr Google), but it was at a low of $1.035 against the US dollar earlier today as markets reopened after the weekend

GBP / Baht cross rate may be holding up a bit better ?

Some context -

GBP-to-USD-50-Year-chart.png#image.jpg

Best I got today was 40. 25 baht to £sterling

38 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

From BOE "The MPC will not hesitate to change interest rates by as much as needed to return inflation to the 2% target”

555 that will settle things down ... 

I'd say a 15+% interest rate will settle some things down (and upset some other things).

• Like 1

pound was very close to 1-1 back around 1996 i think, when I moved back from us to UK, but then it reocvered.  a lot of it isnt just the quid weakening but the dollar strong because US has higher interest rates AND is a safe haven for money with all this ukraine/russia mess.  either way the baht is dropping too, so for tourists, hopefully, the quid will get back to its recent norm with the baht quickly

16 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

pound was very close to 1-1 back around 1996 i think, when I moved back from us to UK, but then it reocvered.  a lot of it isnt just the quid weakening but the dollar strong because US has higher interest rates AND is a safe haven for money with all this ukraine/russia mess.  either way the baht is dropping too, so for tourists, hopefully, the quid will get back to its recent norm with the baht quickly

1985 was the previous low 

25 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Seem to remember I was getting 28b to the £ in 1984.

Probably got a beer for around that back then ? i recall around 10-12 years ago bottom of central road junction beach road a bar doing happy hours draught beer for 28 or 29bht,used to sit there watch the sunset :)

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Probably got a beer for around that back then ? i recall around 10-12 years ago bottom of central road junction beach road a bar doing happy hours draught beer for 28 or 29bht,used to sit there watch the sunset 🙂

I have a pic somewhere from 1981 of my mates bar & it says Singha 18b.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Probably got a beer for around that back then ? i recall around 10-12 years ago bottom of central road junction beach road a bar doing happy hours draught beer for 28 or 29bht,used to sit there watch the sunset 🙂

They advertised 99 baht pizza as well there back in the day

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, coxyhog said:

I have a pic somewhere from 1981 of my mates bar & it says Singha 18b.

Those must have been the real value days…..From what I’ve seen when Thais decide to raise the price on something, they tend to round up to a nice even amount. I don’t recall LT or ST going from 1K to 1100, for instance. Then again, to be fair, full contact lap dances in Montreal were $10 in 1995, many Yanks were happy to make the trip with the $ at .65. Only around 2010 did some places go to $15. I stumbled into one 2 weeks ago, pissed out of my mind, within 10 minutes was solicited by a Haitian and a blond Belgian. Was informed it’s now $20……I politely declined and left after one pint, which after cover & tips ran me $25…..and people say Montreal is dirt cheap compared to Vegas, etc. Strip clubs just ain’t been my thing since I discovered Thailand, I mean what’s the point ? 

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I think the one outside R-CON is 220 baht now !!

Damn…..Doesn’t surprise me with the cost of things today, but I believe I was paying 85B at a place on the moat in CM in 2010. Almost triple, I don’t think Thai wages have risen that much in same time frame…..

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1