What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

7 hours ago, fygjam said:

When the thermostat in my fridge packed it in and replacements were no longer available an STC-1000 temperature controller ($AU14 from China) does the job.

s-l640.jpg

Nice one, I could have replaced the thermostat but thought it time to get a bigger newer more efficient one given their age. Plus I have an upright one in the house that the door came off last week too that I want to phase out.

10 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

My little bar near the supermarket has re opened, so happily enjoying a Bintang.

Opening hours limited 10 am 6 pm, not sure they'll make money, but I guess breaking even and paying the 2 staff should be a satisfying start.

Happy to give them my custom, its THE way to help local business. 

Sadly, not many (like in "zilch") tourist tottie to look at 😥😥😥

20200513_102902_copy_768x1024.jpg

Well then... It would seem that it's now time for you to step up to the plate and put that big old loving caring heart of yours to work and spend more than your usual in order to help get your little bar onto the road to recovery. You could probably start by buying someone sitting there a drink or two. 

21 hours ago, boydeste said:

Mine are over 30 years old and one is still OK, the other has a faulty thermostat, so runs constantly which is the better of the 2 fault conditions.

They don't make um like they used to me thinks!

They don't make any appliances like they used to - time was a washing machine would last twenty years or so, nowadays you're lucky to get five years out of them and I was even told that straight up by the salesman who sold me my last one; and brand loyalty doesn't mean anything because ultimately most of the North American brands are owned by one umbrella corporation anyway. I replaced my hot water heater about three years ago because I knew it was getting old and I was afraid it would go bang when I was overseas - found out online later that it was 34 years old and working fine, whereas I'll probably be lucky to get ten years out of its replacement. It makes my blood boil when I think of how we are constantly harangued to reduce, re-use, recycle, etc. yet these modern appliances are made so cheaply that we have to throw them away and buy new ones...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

My little bar near the supermarket has re opened, so happily enjoying a Bintang.

Opening hours limited 10 am 6 pm, not sure they'll make money, but I guess breaking even and paying the 2 staff should be a satisfying start.

Happy to give them my custom, its THE way to help local business. 

Sadly, not many (like in "zilch") tourist tottie to look at 😥😥😥

20200513_102902_copy_768x1024.jpg

A small step but still a step in the right direction - I figure the bars in my Canadian neck of the woods will be the last venues to re-open because the vast majority of the population probably haven't been in one since they were young and/or simply don't care. 

4 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

They don't make any appliances like they used to - time was a washing machine would last twenty years or so, nowadays you're lucky to get five years out of them and I was even told that straight up by the salesman who sold me my last one; and brand loyalty doesn't mean anything because ultimately most of the North American brands are owned by one umbrella corporation anyway. I replaced my hot water heater about three years ago because I knew it was getting old and I was afraid it would go bang when I was overseas - found out online later that it was 34 years old and working fine, whereas I'll probably be lucky to get ten years out of its replacement. It makes my blood boil when I think of how we are constantly harangued to reduce, re-use, recycle, etc. yet these modern appliances are made so cheaply that we have to throw them away and buy new ones...

I agree but I think it's like flights, most of the public want cheap so the manufacturers have to produce what is demanded or lose out to those that will  - just  look at the prices we are paying compared to 30+ years ago 

8 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Well then... It would seem that it's now time for you to step up to the plate and put that big old loving caring heart of yours to work and spend more than your usual in order to help get your little bar onto the road to recovery. You could probably start by buying someone sitting there a drink or two. 

Hahaha..... 

• Haha 1

Now we have more freedom I took the long way home from work , 20 miles instead of 2.

First decent blast since the lockdown. Quite eventful as well. Overtook a car to be confronted by a female pheasant in the middle of the road, trying my best to avoid it it took off and had to duck to avoid headbutting it. 

Then as I headed around a roundabout, I was just about to open it up and clocked a police car in a layby. Brakes on. 😀

Few police cars about, normally never see any. 

Good to be back out riding again. 

• Like 5

Sounds great. I took a drive in my Mini Cooper down to Brighton and back a few days ago and used the A23 instead of the motorway. Hardly any traffic and it reminded me of how fun driving used to be.  Whereas normally I would hate driving and permanent stop start routine around London. I only got out the car for a piss but I had MP3 player on full blast and the sun roof open. Glorious 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Sounds great. I took a drive in my Mini Cooper down to Brighton and back a few days ago and used the A23 instead of the motorway. Hardly any traffic and it reminded me of how fun driving used to be.  Whereas normally I would hate driving and permanent stop start routine around London. I only got out the car for a piss but I had MP3 player on full blast and the sun roof open. Glorious 

Around the Bracknell area I only have to go a couple of miles to get to country roads. One of my favourite routes is out to Henley-on-Thames, stop for a coffee, then off towards Oxford. Some great twisty country roads out that way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Around the Bracknell area I only have to go a couple of miles to get to country roads. One of my favourite routes is out to Henley-on-Thames, stop for a coffee, then off towards Oxford. Some great twisty country roads out that way. 

I bet that's a lot of fun on a fast motorbike. I don't have the balls anymore for bikes as I am getting on in years but I remember the fun and the adrenalin of riding motorcycles. 

I still hire a twist and go scooter in Pattaya but rarely go over 25 kmh. 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I bet that's a lot of fun on a fast motorbike. I don't have the balls anymore for bikes as I am getting on in years but I remember the fun and the adrenalin of riding motorcycles. 

My body suffers for it. 20 miles today and was seizing up. 😀

Need a bike with a less sporty riding position, but I still convince myself I'm a youngster. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

When it comes to sport bikes, my problem is ( and always has been ) "ability overtaken by enthusiasm " !

Loved Casey Stoners remark to Valentino Rossi after Rossi took him out. 

'Your ambition outweighed your talent'. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

My body suffers for it. 20 miles today and was seizing up. 😀

Need a bike with a less sporty riding position, but I still convince myself I'm a youngster. 

Went to fire up my Harley yesterday,turned over a few times & the battery died.Been on a trickle charger all winter in the garage so maybe a new battery & a new charger.😬

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, coxyhog said:

Went to fire up my Harley yesterday,turned over a few times & the battery died.Been on a trickle charger all winter in the garage so maybe a new battery & a new charger.😬

I would change the battery first. Very seldom do the chargers pack up me thinks!

Just now, boydeste said:

I would change the battery first. Very seldom do the chargers pack up me thinks!

I tried today & it fired up straight away.There's a very friendly Harley independent in Watford & if it fires up tomorrow I'm going straight there & he'll check out the battery & the charger.If it doesn't then I'll take the battery & charger there by car.

Few years ago the missus unplugged the charger midwinter without me knowing so I needed a new battery.The very next winter the charger packed up so when I came to ride it I needed both.If I do need a new battery this will be it's 5th(inc. the first) in 17 years of ownership.Is that good or bad?....I have no idea as I've never owned a bike anywhere near that long before.I've always had it on a charger over the winters.

3 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I tried today & it fired up straight away.There's a very friendly Harley independent in Watford & if it fires up tomorrow I'm going straight there & he'll check out the battery & the charger.If it doesn't then I'll take the battery & charger there by car.

Few years ago the missus unplugged the charger midwinter without me knowing so I needed a new battery.The very next winter the charger packed up so when I came to ride it I needed both.If I do need a new battery this will be it's 5th(inc. the first) in 17 years of ownership.Is that good or bad?....I have no idea as I've never owned a bike anywhere near that long before.I've always had it on a charger over the winters.

Average I would suggest.