What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

I tried today & it fired up straight away.There's a very friendly Harley independent in Watford & if it fires up tomorrow I'm going straight there & he'll check out the battery & the charger.If it doesn't then I'll take the battery & charger there by car.

Few years ago the missus unplugged the charger midwinter without me knowing so I needed a new battery.The very next winter the charger packed up so when I came to ride it I needed both.If I do need a new battery this will be it's 5th(inc. the first) in 17 years of ownership.Is that good or bad?....I have no idea as I've never owned a bike anywhere near that long before.I've always had it on a charger over the winters.

Most bike batteries deteriorate after about 3 years.I am on my second one in 5 years Replaced it a couple of years ago. 

20 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

My scooter battery in Pattaya seems to die after a year or so. I reckon I’ve replaced the battery at least 15 times since I bought the scooter in 2001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap Chinese one?. 

I buy Yuasa which is a decent quality brand but still only lasts about 3 years. 

Edited by galenkia

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Cheap Chinese one?. 

I buy Yuaha which is a decent quality brand but still only lasts about 3 years. 

Did you mean Yuasa?

A quality flooded cell lead acid battery should last about 20 years when operated at 25°C. Each 10°C rise in temperature halves that. Where to most motorcycle batteries sit, fairly close to the engine. Vibrating the shit out of them in a motor vehicle doesn't do them much good either. Neither does deep cycle discharge/charging.

If you can afford it, go for an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery. Twice the price for twice the life so you don't gain much there but it doubles the time between changing batteries.

• Great Info 1

10 hours ago, fygjam said:

Did you mean Yuasa?

A quality flooded cell lead acid battery should last about 20 years when operated at 25°C. Each 10°C rise in temperature halves that. Where to most motorcycle batteries sit, fairly close to the engine. Vibrating the shit out of them in a motor vehicle doesn't do them much good either. Neither does deep cycle discharge/charging.

If you can afford it, go for an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery. Twice the price for twice the life so you don't gain much there but it doubles the time between changing batteries.

I have been tempted to go for a Lithium Ion battery but its under my seat and I don't want it exploding and blowing my bollocks off. 😀

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I have been tempted to go for a Lithium Ion battery but its under my seat and I don't want it exploding and blowing my bollocks off. 😀

A quick google says lithium replacement M/C batteries are lithium iron (LiFePO4) not lithium ion.

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are a bit more user friendly than the Lithium Ion batteries which set your mobile phone on fire. It's a different chemistry.

Bloody expensive though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it looks like my charger was at fault,which is good news as a new charger was £60 & a new battery would be £160.

Only hiccup was changing the input lead on the bike as the bloody alarm kept going off,which is rather disconcerting when you've got your head just above the battery.HD alarms are a thing of mystery to many,including me.Anyway all done & I guess the neighbours are rather pleased about that.

• Like 1

The Aristochats have understood where breakfast is best ....

20200518_063754_copy_1024x768.jpg

20200518_063732_copy_1024x1365.jpg

No, it are not our cats, but the resort being empty they have only the owners house and ours to eat. And I can't let them starve to death, I am not that bad.....

Miss says "give them rice".. She tried, them little animals aren't dumb they make the difference between proper food and plain rice... 😁😁😉😉😉

Day 6 of our self-imposed isolation after returning from Pattaya/Bangsaray.

My shoulder is itching like mad as it heals around the stitches. Nurse Sai fusses over me twice a day cleaning gently with antiseptic and cotton buds. Took the last of the antibiotics yesterday and got told off in no uncertain terms for celebrating last night with a beer. 😀

I cannot believe I am actually looking forward to being able to visit the Robinson's shopping center on Thursday. I wonder if any of the non-food shops inside have been allowed to reopen yet?

I am getting eye strain from all the reading I have been doing. Never had to take out my contact lenses in the early evening before.