What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Fucking about with my Lenovo lapper all morning, wifi shows connected, but no internet.  Can't get it going at all.

Definitely the laptop, as phone is okay on wifi, and i'm now on an old samsung laptop.

Have another f**k about with it later, no good, drop it into the a repair shop tomorrow.

Haven't a clue what i'm doing, though ...

Double post.

Edited by Horizondave

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Fucking about with my Lenovo lapper all morning, wifi shows connected, but no internet.  Can't get it going at all.

Definitely the laptop, as phone is okay on wifi, and i'm now on an old samsung laptop.

Have another f**k about with it later, no good, drop it into the a repair shop tomorrow.

Triple post

Funny but forum hung for a while so clicking on submit 3 times produced my repeat posts, apologies 

Edited by Horizondave

Interesting, I was looking at a new Lenovo laptop recently and a mate told me to avoid them like the plague.

Said they had too many problems with reliability, which was contrary to the impression I had.

Now you both have spurious problems too. They are definitely off my shopping list now.

Edited by boydeste

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Have you tried switching it on and off ...... 

:default_527:

When i say 'fucking about it', turning it off and on is near as technical as it gets!

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

My Lenovo sometimes drops the WIFI while mobiles etc are still connected.  Sometimes I just restart the laptop to get it back (had to restart twice on one occasion) and other times I have noticed the WIFI box is greyed out on the pop up after clicking on the WIFI icon on the task bar, just needed to click on the greyed out box.

If all fails just switch off and turn on before heading to the repair shop, sure it will be Ok then.

I've tried to get it from phone on hotspot, resetting the router, messed about with it a bit, nothing.

Try again tomorrow, if same again, maybe take it to repair shop.

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Interesting, I was looking at a new Lenovo laptop recently and a mate told me to avoid them like the plague.

Said they had too many problems with reliability, which was contrary to the impression I had.

Now you both have spurious problems too. They are definitely off my shopping list now.

This Levono is near 5 years old, no issues with it until this.

Only other laptop i've had longer is the Samsung i'm back using now, great laptop, sad Samsung don't make them any more or i wouldn't buy anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Had them at work for several years, we all did- total junk,  would never buy one with my own cash. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Krapow said:

Step 1. Turn off Windows firewall and see how it goes.

Step 2. Remember to turn Windows firewall back on.

On Windows 7 the firewall is part of the Control Panel dropdown menu.

On windows 10 you can access it via a link in Settings > Network&Internet.

8 hours ago, boydeste said:

Agree... avoid them mate.... nothing but problems. I will head back to Acer on my next buy.

cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

When i say 'fucking about it', turning it off and on is near as technical as it gets!

I've tried to get it from phone on hotspot, resetting the router, messed about with it a bit, nothing.

Try again tomorrow, if same again, maybe take it to repair shop.

This Levono is near 5 years old, no issues with it until this.

Only other laptop i've had longer is the Samsung i'm back using now, great laptop, sad Samsung don't make them any more or i wouldn't buy anything else.

I'm no techie at all but have found that any problems with my old laptop were usually cured by a system restore. Nearly always something would go wrong after a Windows update.

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

Disagree.

I've owned IBM/Lenovo T and W series ThinkPads for more than 20 years. No problems.

Mind you, I don't have any experience with the consumer level models.

I guess you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fygjam said:

Step 1. Turn off Windows firewall and see how it goes.

Step 2. Remember to turn Windows firewall back on.

On Windows 7 the firewall is part of the Control Panel dropdown menu.

On windows 10 you can access it via a link in Settings > Network&Internet.

8 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I'm no techie at all but have found that any problems with my old laptop were usually cured by a system restore. Nearly always something would go wrong after a Windows update.

Took it to a shop, they said they will wipe it, save my stuff, £60.

I can do that myself.

Also said can wipe it, new hard drive, £90.

I'll restore it myself later.

Edited by Krapow

7 hours ago, fygjam said:

Disagree.

I've owned IBM/Lenovo T and W series ThinkPads for more than 20 years. No problems.

Mind you, I don't have any experience with the consumer level models.

I guess you get what you pay for.

I will add that I have had a good experience with my Lenovo and I believe it to be a good laptop.  I have had my Lenovo since 2012 and I have dropped it twice (once at domestic security Bangkok which was highly embarrassing), my daughter has also dropped it.

Despite all that I have only had to replace the hard drive at little cost (£80 including upgrade to W10 from Win7) and right now it is working really well.

I am probably in the market for a new laptop and I would still look at Lenovo. The fact that Lenovo is Chinese doesn't really phase me although I could imagine it would others.

19 hours ago, boydeste said:

Yes, and you cannot upgrade the memory in them ( almost all models ) .. the memory is soldered to the motherboard ... that is the only reason I don't use anymore .. I still think they are great machines ... especially the Carbon X1 ...

@HorizonDave --- if you are thinking about a new Lenovo .. order as much memory as you can get on the specific model ( the memory is soldered to the motherboard ) so --- no adding or changing memory modules .....

@Boydeste -- don't listen to that "avoid them like the plague" BS ... they are still one of the best laptops you can buy

They always used to be my go-to machines .. not for the last couple of years ...

Sad .. but true .. I only use Dells anymore ... I can upgrade the shit out of them ... a laptop doesn't happen with me unless I can stuff 64 mb of memory in the things .... and a 2 TB SSD drive ... otherwise forget it ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Great Info 1

I'm not doing much today except studying.

A fellow BM is helping my through the steps to install a new SSD boot drive in my comp0uter. He's given me a bunch of YouTube tutorials so, I'll be studying them today. Tomorrow the mounting hardware arrives and I'll start.

Should be fun.

18 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Occasionally my HP laptop loses bluetooth and some USB connections after some updates. Usually fixed in device manager - action - scan for hardware changes

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Sad .. but true .. I only use Dells anymore ... I can upgrade the shit out of them ... ..

A bit off topic (sorry to the off topic Nazi's) but that comment about Dell's brought to mind a conversation one of my former clients in Glasgow had with the Dell's Call Center which at the time was in India.

Funny as shite.

There was my client (broad *Weegie accent), trying to get sense out of this guy (broad Indian accent) with little two/way success.

The call was on speaker so I could follow the to-and-fro and I was already laughing when the Indian guy came out with the following:

"Sir, I cannot understand what you are saying. Can you please telephone back with somebody who can speak English."

"Fucking cheek!  says my client as I try not to fall out of my chair laughing.

"They can take this fucking shite computer system back and return my money!"

Definition:

*Weegie - native of Glasgow or if one is from Edinburgh, anybody living to the west of Edinburgh Airport. 🤣

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Definition:

*Weegie - native of Glasgow or if one is from Edinburgh, anybody living to the west of Edinburgh Airport. 🤣

Can you confirm the pronunciation? - is it wedgie as in pull up yer siblings underwear until they scream, or wee-gie ?

Enjoying our balmy weather at only -2C, which feels like spring after the last week or so of cold weather. A strong south wind blew in from the Pacific and our temperature rose from -32C to -6C in less than 24 hours yesterday - finally a chance to give the wood heat a rest after filling the stove every 5-6 hrs night and day for just over a week...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1