What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

The ref clearly f***d up big time, but I can't argue with your last comment.

I'm still listening to the aftermath and the quick kick for the Josh Adams try is still being debated but the Louis Rees-Zammit "knock on" for the next one was clearly the right decision as it came off his leg.

Been cold here today, but I managd to give the grass the first cut of the year after having to dash to the filling station for some fresh petrol.

My walk was a swift 3 miles to keep warm and I managed to chat to my doctor for a review. He is happy with my Stats so I am a happy bunny.

Another night of snooker with the Gibraltar open starting today!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just went to my mums as her car had a flat battery(again).She's driven it once this year to get her Covid jab,a round trip of a quarter of a mile.So after borrowing my neighbours jump leads(again) I got it going,left it running for a half hour then did her tyres & took it for a 30 mile run on the M25.Furthest I've driven for a year!

Just bought her a Lithium Ion power pack from Amazon so as long as she remembers to keep that charged up I won't have to borrow jump leads(again).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, boydeste said:

Been cold here today, but I managd to give the grass the first cut of the year after having to dash to the filling station for some fresh petrol.

My walk was a swift 3 miles to keep warm and I managed to chat to my doctor for a review. He is happy with my Stats so I am a happy bunny.

Another night of snooker with the Gibraltar open starting today!

What channel is that on mate?

31 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Just went to my mums as her car had a flat battery(again).She's driven it once this year to get her Covid jab,a round trip of a quarter of a mile.So after borrowing my neighbours jump leads(again) I got it going,left it running for a half hour then did her tyres & took it for a 30 mile run on the M25.Furthest I've driven for a year!

Just bought her a Lithium Ion power pack from Amazon so as long as she remembers to keep that charged up I won't have to borrow jump leads(again).

I got me a Noco GB70 15 months ago. Charged it up and chucked it in the car. Checked it for the first time since I got it a few days ago, still showing 100% charge. Didn't try and start anything with it though.

37 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I got me a Noco GB70 15 months ago. Charged it up and chucked it in the car. Checked it for the first time since I got it a few days ago, still showing 100% charge. Didn't try and start anything with it though.

The Noco's are quite a bit more expensive here so got her a Goldge,probably Chinese but only £50 & gets good reviews on Amazon.

Noco GB70 is £178 on ebay,£200 down the road at Halfords.

Edited by coxyhog

On 2/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, coxyhog said:

Found out last night that my best mate in my Oman days had died from a heart attack.His missus died a couple of years ago.I was best man at his wedding in Houston in 1986 & he subsequently took US nationality.I guess I can't go to his funeral because of Covid & probably don't want to for the same reason.Feeling very sad as a mutual friend of ours has just had an op in Bangkok for a malignant melanoma & isn't looking too good.

My sadly departed mate came back to the UK a couple of years ago,stayed with us for a few days & we took him to the annual Oman reunion bbq my ex-boss has every year.

While he was here he went for a flight in a Spitfire at Biggin Hill & as part of that is they put a video camera in front of you so your face is recorded for the whole flight.

His granddaughter put that video on FB a couple of days ago,it was brilliant to see.

• Like 4

Just waiting for a clinician to phone me about my knee. Already had an x-ray in hospital and a consultation over the phone from a physiotherapist and now I am getting another call from the Muscoloskeletal Assessment Service who will decide if I need further treatment such as scans etc in a hospital environment.

Of course in the old days you would have just gone to the hospital for an assessment after a doctor referral, now it is all different and with a longer time frame.

• Like 2

Had the call re: above post.

Clinician believes I have degenerative cartilage and believes it may get worse so could offer an injection but for now will call me in to have a bespoke knee brace fitted. 

A brace sounded dodgy but it really is just a step up from the Neoprene knee supports that Boots sell.

She mentions that if my knee seizes or causes me to fall I can call her directly within 6 months.  Sounds OK to me as I don't believe I need anything invasive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Just waiting for a clinician to phone me about my knee. Already had an x-ray in hospital and a consultation over the phone from a physiotherapist and now I am getting another call from the Muscoloskeletal Assessment Service who will decide if I need further treatment such as scans etc in a hospital environment.

We all have different issues causing knee pain, but the physiotherapy exercises I have been given to do have improved my knee pain quite a lot. However, it has been a very slow process - 7 months so far of daily exercises.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

We all have different issues causing knee pain, but the physiotherapy exercises I have been given to do have improved my knee pain quite a lot. However, it has been a very slow process - 7 months so far of daily exercises.

When I first saw a doc about my dodgy knee he said get in the gym & build the muscles around it up.Which I did & it got quite a bit better.With a elasticated knee brace I was walking for up to 5 miles pretty fast.

Then about 3 months ago I got a pizza from a place up in the village & walked home downhill fast to stop it getting cold.Downhill walking is not good for dodgy knees.

Knee has been bad ever since.Putting on weight doesn't help but I've given up walking and gym is shut so can't use the exercise bike.

So let that be a warning to you - pizzas are bad for your knees!

Edited by coxyhog
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bazle said:

I have been advised to carry on with my exercises as it is good for cartilage but wear a brace when possible.  If I do too much exercise or walking the secondary problem I have is a build up of fluid around the top of the knee. This only goes down when not exercising so a bit of a catch 22 scenario.

I am not so worried about the fluid as I have suffered from this ever since I was about 10 years old and should have had an operation back then but if the exercise is seen as a benefit for getting through this issue and with the knee support I will carry on with exercising and walking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just started watching Machete on Amazon Prime, fun movie.

Also just finished watching the footie so happy that my 'blues' did well, not so sure many of my good friends from up north will be so happy, 5 losses on the trot at home isn't a record that's needed.

Also having my last food until my blood test tomorrow morning, some blueberries, grapes and grapefruit.  Got to get that liver in good shape.  Been eating well with no booze for the last 7 days.  Tomorrow though it will be fish and chips with a beer like most Fridays.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, Horizondave said:

I have been advised to carry on with my exercises as it is good for cartilage but wear a brace when possible.  If I do too much exercise or walking the secondary problem I have is a build up of fluid around the top of the knee. This only goes down when not exercising so a bit of a catch 22 scenario.

One of the players in my football club's veterans X1  ( over age 35) happened to be a surgeon. One week after having key hole surgery on the cartilage in his right knee I actually saw him jogging around the outfield of our main ground.

A few years later I had the same operation on my right knee at the Murrayfield Hospital in Edinburgh through BUPA. I feared the worst when the surgeon came into my room prior to the operation ( part of the service of going private) to introduce himself. To this day I am not sure whether it was his little joke to ask me

"Remind me again. Which knee are we doing today?"

He painted a large "X" on my right leg to remind himself. 😀

Far from going out jogging a week later I was still having fluid removed from my swollen knee some 9 months later and it was well over a year before I could walk without a limp. Nevertheless, after my subsequent motorcycle accident snapped the tendon behind my left knee my doggy right knee has now become my "good" knee. Or more precisely, not as f***d up as the other one! 🤣

As for wearing a brace.

That is what Bangkok/Pattaya hospital told me to wear all the time after they repaired my snapped tendon in my left knee. It did not get much better afterwards and Terry Lee advised me to go and see Nigel who ran the sports injury/phisio clinic in Pattaya. ( Nigel used to be the physio for the British weightlifting team.) His opening words to me after I said hello was the following

"Well you can throw that effing thing away to start with!" pointing to my brace

"That is why your ankle is so swollen."

I did not even realise it was.

Nigel gave me a series of simple exercises to do and the improvement in my knee after that was rapid.

Bangkok/Pattaya hospital sold me a brace but gave me no post operative care or advice  of any description.

Edited by Jambo
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, coxyhog said:

Found out last night that my best mate in my Oman days had died from a heart attack.His missus died a couple of years ago.I was best man at his wedding in Houston in 1986 & he subsequently took US nationality.I guess I can't go to his funeral because of Covid & probably don't want to for the same reason.Feeling very sad as a mutual friend of ours has just had an op in Bangkok for a malignant melanoma & isn't looking too good.

Just had a video call from my mates wife at his bedside in hospital,he passed away earlier today.That's two of my mates from my Oman days gone inside two weeks.I guess it was a blessing that he was in no pain & died peacefully in his sleep.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Just had a video call from my mates wife at his bedside in hospital,he passed away earlier today.That's two of my mates from my Oman days gone inside two weeks.I guess it was a blessing that he was in no pain & died peacefully in his sleep.

Very sorry to hear of your losses. 

• Like 1