What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Up a decent time to watch the snooker at 9am.

Fed and watered and now contemplating going to my nearest city to get some non/low alcohol beer.

I have drunk my local Tescos out of my prefered beer and they don't know when new stock is ariving.

The Tescos internet site is showing at least 10 cases at their main Super store but it is a good few miles away. Hopefully I won't have any problems and get stopped to ask why I am so far away from home as I doubt it would be classed as essential travel, although beer at the weekend is for me. LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jambo said:

One of the players in my football club's veterans X1  ( over age 35) happened to be a surgeon. One week after having key hole surgery on the cartilage in his right knee I actually saw him jogging around the outfield of our main ground.

A few years later I had the same operation on my right knee at the Murrayfield Hospital in Edinburgh through BUPA. I feared the worst when the surgeon came into my room prior to the operation ( part of the service of going private) to introduce himself. To this day I am not sure whether it was his little joke to ask me

"Remind me again. Which knee are we doing today?"

He painted a large "X" on my right leg to remind himself. 😀

Far from going out jogging a week later I was still having fluid removed from my swollen knee some 9 months later and it was well over a year before I could walk without a limp. Nevertheless, after my subsequent motorcycle accident snapped the tendon behind my left knee my doggy right knee has now become my "good" knee. Or more precisely, not as f***d up as the other one! 🤣

As for wearing a brace.

That is what Bangkok/Pattaya hospital told me to wear all the time after they repaired my snapped tendon in my left knee. It did not get much better afterwards and Terry Lee advised me to go and see Nigel who ran the sports injury/phisio clinic in Pattaya. ( Nigel used to be the physio for the British weightlifting team.) His opening words to me after I said hello was the following

"Well you can throw that effing thing away to start with!" pointing to my brace

"That is why your ankle is so swollen."

I did not even realise it was.

Nigel gave me a series of simple exercises to do and the improvement in my knee after that was rapid.

Bangkok/Pattaya hospital sold me a brace but gave me no post operative care or advice  of any description.

At least the NHS would be paying for my brace which saves some money;  I already have a Boots one and use that sparingly but I will make use of the NHS brace if out walking as the clinician told me it will help in stopping it seizing or making me fall. Just got to ensure it is not put on too tight which would do the blood flow no good. She told me the one I will have is used extensively by golfers and is not obtrusive at all.

At 65 I am happy that the diagnosis is not worse than I thought, she has mentioned injections and key hole surgery if it gets worse but since I have been doing my 40 mins of cardio 5 days a week my knee has seemed a lot more flexible with less aches and pains.

I will keep an eye on it but my issues are far less problematic than some people have to put up with.

10 hours ago, Chappo said:

3 days of no food due to food poisoning at a restaurant, wife brings me coffe and a 7/11 toastie 🙂 - shes perfect ❤️

lol not so good - ate and drank then spent the next few hours on the khazi .... decided only beer and water until sickness finishes 😞

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

Managed to get to the big Tescos and clear the shelf of my target beer. 15 boxes of 4 cans should keep me going for a bit. I also poped a couple of others in to try.

The KFC was next door and given I haven't had many food treats recently, it was too good to pass up. A Trilogy box meal it was then. I eat most of the contents whilst in the car park but saved the Zinger burger for my dinner tonight.

Beer unloaded and some in the fridge for later, then a swift 3 mile walk in the bitter cold.

All showered up now and watching the snooker.

Edited by boydeste
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Defrosting the freezer. What an absolute PITA! 😠

It can be especially if you haven't run it empty beforehand.

I had 3 older freezers that weren't frost free so I became quite adept at cleaning them.

The key is to do it in the winter and to keep loads of bubble wrap from deliveries.

This is what I do :-

Turn off freezer.

Remove all the food and put in bubble wrap.

Put outside or in the garage where it is cold. Animals depending.

Place a tray under the freezer and put a bowl nearby.

Use a hair dryer to gently warm the freezer focussing where the ice touches the sides.

It will take a few minutes where nothing seems to happen, but quite quickly the ice will melt enough to allow you to lightly tap the edges to break the seal allowing the chunks to break/fall off. Once this happens the rest will defrost very quickly. The chunks are put into the bowl and disposed of outside.

Once all the ice has melted I use several towels to dry the freezer. Use the hair dryer to make sure all of the moisture has evapourated.

Turn the freezer back on and put the food back in, it will be back down to temperature in no time and the food will still be frozen!

If you have a better method please let me know.

Spent the morning on the forums and watching the Saturday cooking programs. The chefs make it look so easy, but most of the time are using herbs and spices that I don't have.

It's another cold and dull day here, so have to wrap up well again for my daily stroll.

Looking forward to the snooker later and some butchers sausages.

2 minutes ago, boydeste said:

If you have a better method please let me know.

I have a different method because my circumstances are not the same as yours.

I have just one freezer - a built-in one in the kitchen. Don't have a garage. 

I line my steel sink with thick newspaper, and fill the sink with the contents of the freezer, plus put some things in the fridge.

Then I put saucepans of boiling hot water in the freezer, and close the door. Wait for the ice to melt, and then sponge out with dish-cloth.

Replace food, switch freezer back on, and say a prayer that it is still working!

A fellow BM instructed me on this a few months ago as I had never had to do it before. Previously, I had gone to Thailand every 5 or 6 weeks, and had simply emptied the freezer (didn't keep much in it) and turned it off when I went away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Use a hair dryer to gently warm the freezer . . . .

I use a hair dryer too but often balance it on a stool pointing at the worst bits while I go for a cuppa.  Always getting told by mates I shouldn't be mixing electricity and water.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Painter said:

I'm just amazed you've got a hair dryer!!

I used to use my partners, but after she left I had to go buy one specifically for the job!

It also came in handy for drying out the head light units on my old car before MOT!

Edited by boydeste
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KWA said:

I use a hair dryer too but often balance it on a stool pointing at the worst bits while I go for a cuppa.  Always getting told by mates I shouldn't be mixing electricity and water.

A mate of mine once thought it would be quicker and easier if he put the hairdryer INSIDE the freezer and closed the door....

I forget what actually happened, but it didn't go well...

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

21 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I have a different method because my circumstances are not the same as yours.

I have just one freezer - a built-in one in the kitchen. Don't have a garage. 

I line my steel sink with thick newspaper, and fill the sink with the contents of the freezer, plus put some things in the fridge.

Then I put saucepans of boiling hot water in the freezer, and close the door. Wait for the ice to melt, and then sponge out with dish-cloth.

Replace food, switch freezer back on, and say a prayer that it is still working!

A fellow BM instructed me on this a few months ago as I had never had to do it before. Previously, I had gone to Thailand every 5 or 6 weeks, and had simply emptied the freezer (didn't keep much in it) and turned it off when I went away.

I like the idea of the boiling water and saucepans and being able to close the door. If it works fast enough for you happy days. If not the bubble wrap acts like a large cool box and may be a good addition instead of paper.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I like the idea of the boiling water and saucepans and being able to close the door. If it works fast enough for you happy days. If not the bubble wrap acts like a large cool box and may be a good addition instead of paper.

Thats what we use at work for defrosting the freezers on the cook line! Really doesn't take long at all to do it this way.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Wifey is in the shower, I am having coffee and sadly found myself looking at some "old friends" from back in the day.

Wondering what she is doing these days? 😃

rsz_dscn0160.jpg

rsz_dscn0166.jpg

rsz_dscn0169.jpg

Probably on Only Fans showing her cookie to some sad sack in the UK who can't leave his apartment...

Her "brother" is spending the baht!

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Returned from taking the dogs for their morning walk to find we had been invaded by a family of chickens.

The dogs often do not return with me all together so I always leave the driveway gate open just enough for them individually to enter. That was the only way for a Mother hen and a whole bunch of baby chickens to invade.

I gave up trying to get them out and we ended up with four dogs and our three cats having a great time just chasing them around the garden and even the Thai kitchen area. The dogs were just enjoying the chasing but the cats were in hunting mode for breakfast.

All's well that ends well and they all eventually returned from whence they came relatively unscathed. 😀

• Haha 2