What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

So yesterday's 4:00PM weather forecast from Environment Canada called for "40% chance of flurries overnight" - I just looked out my back door at 0330 and there's a good 5cm of snow and still falling, lol; I guess I know what I'll be doing later today if it stops by then...

Took advantage of yesterday's balmy -5C to do a quick oil/filter change on my little pickup:

img_1022.jpg

• Like 3

My Dad had knee replacement surgery last week , he's 83  , still in hospital and just spoke to one of the nurses , they think it will be another three weeks at least , before he is mobile ...maybe up to six weeks ... that's when I'm due to be on my way to Thailand... May have to rethink my plans 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 5

16 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

My Dad had knee replacement surgery last week , he's 83  , still in hospital and just spoke to one of the nurses , they think it will be another three weeks at least , before he is mobile ...maybe up to six weeks ... that's when I'm due to be on my way to Thailand... May have to rethink my plans 🤷‍♂️

Sorry to hear that mate, hope the old boy gets well soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Hope your dad recovers quickly. I know knees aren't as easy to recover from as hips, but mum's had both her hips done and was up and about without crutches within a month.

As for your plans, I fear BA might also be rethinking them....

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

32 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Family first! ...Best wishes for your dad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Painter said:

On hold to British Airways, who, predictably "are very busy, and will answer my call as soon as possible".

23 minutes so far...

After waiting 37 minutes, a human answers. I was still 17th on the online chat queue.

I have a flight (direct) to bkk mid January. However, when I check on their website, there are no direct flights available on the day of my flight.

Now to me, that either means that the flight is full, or BA have cancelled it.

So, i check their website for other dates, and no direct flights are available. Only codeshare with Qatar, at much higher prices.  Does this mean all direct lhr to bkk BA flights are complete sold out until mid March?

So I put all this to the human. They check and confirm my direct flight is still planned to fly, but there are no tickets for sale. 

I express concern, about having to book alternative flights last minute, and having to booking quarantine hotel and thai pass, and ask if they actually mean that the direct flight is still going. They confirm, that as of today, I am on a direct lhr to bkk flight.

I'm afraid I have little confidence in this. I can see one of two things happening.....

1. Me being transferred to a Qatar flight (indirect) on the same day, which, providing it isnt the chaos of boydeste's flight, could be a good thing, or

2. BA kindly informing me with 10 days to go that my flight has been cancelled, and that they'll refund my money in 8 weeks as they are very busy....

Bits of me wish I hadn't booked a decently priced fare with them in the first place....

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Sad 1

I am now seriously looking at mid January 2020 and do a 6 weeker. Need a break even though things will not be as they were before,the way I am now looking at things, I am not exactly doing very much in UK, plus its as cold as f*ck, Probably better and from what I have been told by a few expat friends, there are a few more opportunities than I first thought. Although I would rather not go into detail,if you know what I mean. Lots of cash to burn, so. I am not too concerned about any extra costs here and there. 

3 hours ago, Painter said:

After waiting 37 minutes, a human answers. I was still 17th on the online chat queue.

I have a flight (direct) to bkk mid January. However, when I check on their website, there are no direct flights available on the day of my flight.

So, i check their website for other dates, and no direct flights are available. Only codeshare with Qatar, at much higher prices.  Does this mean all direct lhr to bkk BA flights are complete sold out until mid March?

So I put all this to the human. They check and confirm my direct flight is still planned to fly, but there are no tickets for sale. 

I express concern, about having to book alternative flights last minute, and having to booking quarantine hotel and thai pass, and ask if they actually mean that the direct flight is still going. They confirm, that as of today, I am on a direct lhr to bkk flight.

I'm afraid I have little confidence in this. I can see one of two things happening.....

1. Me being transferred to a Qatar flight (indirect) on the same day, which, providing it isnt the chaos of boydeste's flight, could be a good thing, or

2. BA kindly informing me with 10 days to go that my flight has been cancelled, and that they'll refund my money in 8 weeks as they are very busy....

Bits of me wish I hadn't booked a decently priced fare with them in the first place....

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just put my dates in as well , no direct , only Qatar flights available....  doesn't look good 

Not to add to your worries,  but many people on my flight had booked on BA. I found this out because when I first looked at the flight board for my check in, it listed the BA flight number for my time, I checked with staff at the queue and she confirmed the flight was for both Qatar and Ba passengers. Whether they expected to be going directly or not I have no idea, but suspect they were when they initially booked.

Edited by boydeste

7 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Not to add to your worries,  but many people on my flight had booked on BA. I found this out because when I first looked at the flight board for my check in, it listed the BA flight number for my time, I checked with staff at the queue and she confirmed the flight was for both Qatar and Ba passengers. Whether they expected to be going directly or not I have no idea, but suspect they were when they initially booked.

Understandable, as BA havent flown direct to BKK since the start of all this, but they have been selling tickets,  having announced they are resuming flights on whatever date but then cancelling the flight. Their next published resumption of flights is (or was), I think, January 10th. I know when Messrs Stillearly, krapow and i booked, they were definitely selling direct flights. Those have now vanished, and only codeshare flights with qatar available. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Painter said:

Understandable, as BA havent flown direct to BKK since the start of all this, but they have been selling tickets,  having announced they are resuming flights on whatever date but then cancelling the flight. Their next published resumption of flights is (or was), I think, January 10th. I know when Messrs Stillearly, krapow and i booked, they were definitely selling direct flights. Those have now vanished, and only codeshare flights with qatar available. 

Not that it helps you, although the Phuket system is very well organised,  Thai air now fly direct into Phuket,  complements of  @Blue Streakyou could ship your good lady over to the island for a beach holiday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Not that it helps you, although the Phuket system is very well organised,  Thai air now fly direct into Phuket,  complements of  @Blue Streakyou could ship your good lady over to the island for a beach holiday. 

Already discussed that option, but she's quite keen to get back to pattaya and to start work again..... yes, I did a double take on that, too!

• Surprised 1

10 minutes ago, Painter said:

Already discussed that option, but she's quite keen to get back to pattaya and to start work again..... yes, I did a double take on that, too!

Well, you could do your 1st few days in Phuket,  then fly to bkk for 20 quid to meet her.

Bangla Road is rocking. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Painter said:

I'll translate that for you: "You aren't paying me enough"! 🙂

• Surprised 1

4 hours ago, Painter said:

After reading this and checking, on manage my booking my direct flight for start of Feb still shows.

Though when do a flight search for that date, there's now 4 flights all going via Qatar.

What number did you use to call them, i can see various numbers?  And why do you say it could be a good thing if moved to Qatar?

Personally, i booked direct, and if not going i'll ask for a refund, though no doubt at this stage they'll say it's still going. I can get a voucher for the full amount at any time, so not overly worried, and would probably do that this time next month as that's the date i've give myself to make a decision, go and start the Thailand Pass process by booking test and go hotel, insurance etc, or get voucher.

See how thing pan out, but it'll get worse before better in the UK at the moment. Might think moreso about going May.

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I can get a full month of work for my next trip, i might look at doing Phuket and staying for a week or so in Feb, maybe see how @roomark gets on.