What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Post about other BM's first car got me reminiscing about my first one, which I'm embarrassed to admit was a Plymouth Cricket. Bought it used for, IIRC, the dirt cheap price of $500. And it was for good reason it was sold on so cheap. It really was a POS and caused me to almost have a head on collision on a highway.

Plymouth touted the car as having MacPherson struts, but I think they were the cheapest version available. Once the strut was compressed it was slow to return back to normal length, unless you hit a bump in which case it immediately released causing momentary loss of steering control. A minor annoyance at city street speeds, but on my first highway trip with the car I hit something that caused enough of a jolt to release one strut. Before I could react the car did a 180 and I ended up facing oncoming traffic. Fortunately traffic was light and everyone had time to maneuver around and past me without scraping metal.

I managed to make it safely back home and when I related the experience to my parents they agreed to co-sign on a loan so I could buy something safer which ended up being a Chevy Camaro.

09cf80f293850dc240eac2702161fc5e.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Post about other BM's first car got me reminiscing about my first one, which I'm embarrassed to admit was a Plymouth Cricket. Bought it used for, IIRC, the dirt cheap price of $500. And it was for good reason it was sold on so cheap. It really was a POS and caused me to almost have a head on collision on a highway.

Plymouth touted the car as having MacPherson struts, but I think they were the cheapest version available. Once the strut was compressed it was slow to return back to normal length, unless you hit a bump in which case it immediately released causing momentary loss of steering control. A minor annoyance at city street speeds, but on my first highway trip with the car I hit something that caused enough of a jolt to release one strut. Before I could react the car did a 180 and I ended up facing oncoming traffic. Fortunately traffic was light and everyone had time to maneuver around and past me without scraping metal.

I managed to make it safely back home and when I related the experience to my parents they agreed to co-sign on a loan so I could buy something safer which ended up being a Chevy Camaro.

09cf80f293850dc240eac2702161fc5e.jpg

I think in the UK we would call that a Hillman Avenger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Painter said:

I think in the UK we would call that a Hillman Avenger.

Yes. It was mentioned in this article. :default_cool:

Rebadged Disasters: Plymouth Cricket

A terrible small car imported from the UK. It combined all of the worst parts of both American and British small cars in the Seventies.

Small American cars in the early Seventies were a special kind of terrible. In those days just before the gas crisis necessitated that carmakers take small cars more seriously, a number of cars were produced with the apparent intention of turning consumers off to the idea of small cars altogether. Such a car was the Plymouth Cricket, a rebadged Hillman Avenger brought over to the US and adorned with Plymouth badges. It introduced the American car buying public at large to the problems of British cars in the Seventies.

• Great Info 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Yes. It was mentioned in this article. :default_cool:

Rebadged Disasters: Plymouth Cricket

A terrible small car imported from the UK. It combined all of the worst parts of both American and British small cars in the Seventies.

Small American cars in the early Seventies were a special kind of terrible. In those days just before the gas crisis necessitated that carmakers take small cars more seriously, a number of cars were produced with the apparent intention of turning consumers off to the idea of small cars altogether. Such a car was the Plymouth Cricket, a rebadged Hillman Avenger brought over to the US and adorned with Plymouth badges. It introduced the American car buying public at large to the problems of British cars in the Seventies.

This reminds me of the only British car we ever bought new in our family - it was a 1964 Envoy Epic, which was a re-badged Vauxhall Viva imported by General Motors. It was fine and fun to drive in the summer, but on the first sub-freezing day in the late fall, Mom left for work and went sailing through the first stop sign she encountered as the brake pedal went to the floor - turns out that the manufacturer had used the wrong rubber compound for the brake seals! 

58 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I'm just back from a very very painful 2 hour walk, carrying about 7kg of shopping for most of the time.

My knees were telling me that I'm a fat bastard and to lose some weight.... fucking yapping at me for 2 hours non stop like George Gregan yapping at the ref .....

Depending on the knee injury, biking can be a great, low impact exercise for building up the muscles that support the knee joint.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Depending on the knee injury, biking can be a great, low impact exercise for building up the muscles that support the knee joint.

Yup! Especially for a fat bastard like me!

I have 2 bikes hanging up in my patio providing excellent support for climbing plants, snakes and birds nests.

When I first moved down here many years ago I couldn't understand why my legs were so weak that I couldn't make it up Khao Talo. So I decided to cycle along railway road instead and was lucky to survive a pickup carrying loose rebar swinging from side to side. I have never ridden a bike since.....Interestingly since leaving "the village" I haven't driven a car nor rode a motorcye..... I miss none of it!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I'm just back from a very very painful 2 hour walk, carrying about 7kg of shopping for most of the time.

My knees were telling me that I'm a fat bastard and to lose some weight.... fucking yapping at me for 2 hours non stop like George Gregan yapping at the ref .....

I take it you are a Rah Rah man.

Waiting to go & see a physio about my very painful back.

I've had some back niggles since I fell of my Harley a few months ago but nothing really bad,I was still going to the gym & for long walks.Then for the past few days it's been getting steadily worse & now I'm having trouble walking & getting up out of a chair or bed is a serious effort.I saw a chiropractor a couple of weeks ago to no avail so yesterday I had a phone consultation with a GP who gave me a physio appointment on the 7th March.

So I just rang a physio in our village & have a private appointment at midday today.

1 minute ago, coxyhog said:

I've had some back niggles since I fell of my Harley a few months ago but nothing really bad,I was still going to the gym & for long walks.Then for the past few days it's been getting steadily worse & now I'm having trouble walking & getting up out of a chair or bed is a serious effort.I saw a chiropractor a couple of weeks ago to no avail so yesterday I had a phone consultation with a GP who gave me a physio appointment on the 7th March.

So I just rang a physio in our village & have a private appointment at midday today.

Good luck with that. Back pain is a bastard

I have had a really stiff neck for 2 weeks now and quite painful at times. . I can't think of any trauma that may have caused it though. Contemplating making a booking with private Physio. Not cheap at £35 an hour and no idea how many sessions I might need either. But even if I spend 300 quid, short term it's probably worth it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw the physio,she did some acupuncture amongst other stuff,I limped out of there in 10 times more pain than when I went in.Said I needed to see a GP as not the usual type of back spasms so I have to ring the surgery at 8am tomorrow for a phone consultation with a quack.Absolute fucking agony,got the missus buying me some Ibuprofen.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have had a really stiff neck for 2 weeks now and quite painful at times. . I can't think of any trauma that may have caused it though. Contemplating making a booking with private Physio. Not cheap at £35 an hour and no idea how many sessions I might need either. But even if I spend 300 quid, short term it's probably worth it. 

Just now recovering from a similar condition. I believe mine was caused by an awkward sleeping position a few nights ago.

18 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I can relate to the back issues. Can be painful as f**k. But you can come back from it (no pun intended). Stick with the routine and things can improve. I am back to about 80% normal which is a huge relief. Plan is to continue to work on the things to improve the muscle strength in the lower back, along with better posture, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just had another phone consultation with a GP who asked me if I was going back for more physio....I said you must be joking not after the pain I was in after yesterday's session.She suggested going again but taking an Ibuprofen beforehand.

Question to any guys who've been through this: Is it usual to be in absolute agony after physio?

I just talked to the physio & she said that she doesn't want to give me any more treatment until there is more investigation,so now got another doc calling me at 5pm.....

Edited by coxyhog