Football

Thinkingallowed

So it goes. The view from across the pond...

As England fails to bring it home, a soccer-mad nation copes with a near-miss

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/11/england-fans-reaction-euros/

LONDON — England came so close. But in the end, it didn’t bring it home.

The country’s men’s national soccer team lost to Italy on Sunday in a dramatic penalty shootout in the final of the European Championship at Wembley Stadium, but its fans hailed the team as doing its nation proud. Manager Gareth Southgate’s young squad made it to the final of a major international tournament for the first time in 55 years.

It wasn’t the fairy-tale finish it wanted, or was so close to achieving, but its performance, on and off the pitch, unequivocally lifted the hearts of this soccer-mad nation after a brutal year, while at the same time prompting discussions about a new vision of Englishness in the post-Brexit era.

Boris Johnson, the British prime minister whose passion for soccer was previously unknown, was among many politicians who in recent days loudly cheered on the home team. He tweeted the result was “heartbreaking” but that Southgate and his team “have done the nation proud and deserve great credit.”

Labour Party lawmaker David Lammy tweeted: “Heartbroken we lost, but still so proud of this team. They are the best of England in all its talent, teamwork and inclusivity. A couple more years of hurt will never stop us dreaming.”

The Three Lions lost, 3-2, in a nerve-shredding shootout after playing Italy to a 1-1 draw. Three of their youngest players — Marcus Rashford, 23; Jadon Sancho, 21; and Bukayo Saka, 19 — failed to convert.

After decades of failure and underachievement since England’s last major championship at the 1966 World Cup, some dared to dream that this could really be the year when England triumphed. But 2021 was not the year “football is coming home” — a refrain from a song that has become something of an alternative national anthem in recent weeks.

England had a stellar start when it scored in the second minute. Luke Shaw’s finish off a picture-perfect cross was the fastest goal scored in a European Championship final.

Seven-year-old Prince George, in blue blazer and tie, whooped it up. His expression, which was something akin to gleeful astonishment, seemed to sum up the mood of many in England at the moment. (see below)

David Beckham, a former England captain, was also in attendance and turned to actor Tom Cruise and gave him a fist bump.

But the euphoria didn’t last. England appeared to lose its snap in the second half, and Italy tied the score at 1 with a goal from Leonardo Bonucci in the 67th minute.

And so four weeks of tournament play came down to penalty kicks. Announcers described the last moments as unbearable and advised viewers to hide behind their sofas if needed. The English fans at Wembley covered their eyes, held their heads.

Few things unite England like football — during the semifinals, nearly half the nation tuned in to watch a 2-1 victory over Denmark. To say the country was hyped about the final and the possibility that its 55-year curse could be broken was an understatement.

In the lead-up to Sunday’s match, Queen Elizabeth II penned a short note to Southgate, sending her good wishes and paying tribute to the England team’s “spirit, commitment and pride.” Houses and pubs and fans around the country draped themselves in the St George’s Cross flag, the flag of England that really only comes out en masse during big soccer tournaments.

Nigella Lawson, a celebrity chef, tweeted a recipe of her “Anglo-Italian trifle” with the caption, “opposed in football; united in food.” Other English fans showed less sportsmanlike qualities, tweeting messages about how they were putting ketchup on their pasta.

Thousands of fans started early Sunday. People started queuing outside pubs early in the day for the 8 p.m. kickoff and were allowed to stay until 11:15 p.m. The government extended opening hours Sunday night in case the game went into extra time, which it did. Initially, many of the street scenes had a festive, carnival feel, with full-voiced singing, cheering and honking. But as the beer flowed and hours passed by, some of the scenes turned ugly.

Ticketless fans tried to rush through the gates at Wembley as security rushed in to stop them. Wembley said that a “small group” of people got into the stadium.

In Leicester Square, fans threw bottles and missiles. King’s Cross station was evacuated after a fire alarm was set off by England fans setting off flares.

Later, on social media, some supporters directed racist comments toward the players who failed to convert their penalty kicks, drawing condemnation from England’s Football Association.

The London Metropolitan Police said they had made 45 arrests while policing the final. The police also tweeted, “Nail-biting night, commiserations #England.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan tweeted his thanks to the team. “You have inspired and united our nation both on and off the pitch at every turn. We could not be any prouder of what you have achieved.”

“We still believe,” he added.

23 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Gonna get tickets for a few games, can't wait to get back soaking up the atmosphere again.

Fancy Millwall/Portsmouth in the Carabao Cup 10th August, might be a bit tasty!

@galenkia fancy going to a QPR game?

We have Millwall home first game of the season. 

Have to see what is what when tickets go on sale. Can't remember who else at home after that. We'll sort something out mate. 

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

We have Millwall home first game of the season. 

Have to see what is what when tickets go on sale. Can't remember who else at home after that. We'll sort something out mate. 

I seen that yea, but think that's the day we're going to watch @Nightcrawler get drunk then spitroasted down Old Compton! 

2 hours ago, Sid Bream said:

Some people are a bit upset.

Neanderthals.... I'm embarrassed to be English sometimes. Been to Wembley a few times to watch England and as most northern people did back then we headed to soho. 

Always trouble with the southerners. From both sides. 

Some of the guys in that video are old enough to know better. Filth. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Sid Bream said:

Some people are a bit upset.

Actually I think the context of this video needs to be told. I think the people breaking through the doors were attempting to see the game for free, and the people handing out vigilante justice were people that had paid big money to see the game, hence the anger and violence. I am not 100% sure of this, but it is what I believe based on the footage.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sid Bream said:

Actually I think the context of this video needs to be told. I think the people breaking through the doors were attempting to see the game for free, and the people handing out vigilante justice were people that had paid big money to see the game, hence the anger and violence. I am not 100% sure of this, but it is what I believe based on the footage.

I agree but nevertheless the police and stewards should have been there to sort it out. 

Leicester square got trashed, ticketless fans over powering stewards to try and get in for nothing, and we are bidding for the 2030 world cup, we shouldn`t waste our time, we will get laughed at. 

UEFA have already launched an investigation and quite rightly so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ukdave51 said:

Leicester square got trashed, ticketless fans over powering stewards to try and get in for nothing, and we are bidding for the 2030 world cup, we shouldn`t waste our time, we will get laughed at. 

UEFA have already launched an investigation and quite rightly so. 

Leicester Sq looked pristine the next morning .. 

I'm sure police and stewards will review what happened and ensure it doesn't happen again 

I hope they succeed in the bid , why let a small minority of cunts spoil it for the rest of the U.K. and Ireland 

Looks like we're losing Danny Ings (Southampton) he's been offered a new 4 year deal but has turned it down and only has 1 year left on his existing contract.

Now without Danny Ings we're gonna struggle to score enough goals to keep us in the EPL imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 2:34 AM, Stillearly said:

good article, really enjoyed the film when I was a kid 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-57840345

Escape to Victory: The Ipswich footballers who made a cult classic

Warky and Russell Osman are good friends of mine. I've heard all the stories, particularly from Warky - some of which couldn't have been published in that article.

Their opinion of Stallone as a person would be full of asterisks or bleeps . . . . ☹️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Warky and Russell Osman are good friends of mine. I've heard all the stories, particularly from Warky - some of which couldn't have been published in that article.

Their opinion of Stallone as a person would be full of asterisks or bleeps . . . . ☹️

What did they say about Bobby Moore and Pele ?? OK Moore was an awful actor ..... but ...

My mate knew lots of the Welsh actors in Zulu and blimey did they have stories from behind the scenes too.

Classic movies.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nampla69 said:

What did they say about Bobby Moore and Pele ?? OK Moore was an awful actor ..... but ...

My mate knew lots of the Welsh actors in Zulu and blimey did they have stories from behind the scenes too.

Classic movies.

Didn't hear any stories about Moore and Pele, except that the respect those two guys had for each other was enormous.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

Big shout out to @Jambo, hope you're enjoying Edinburgh tonight!

Screenshot_20210731-223412.thumb.png.772c9fc7e3786ee9472aa0d78d132f4d.png

Thanks, and yes I really enjoyed the Jambo's getting one over the less than almighty Celtic. You can have all the possession in the world but if you cannot take your chances or defend when it matters then you are not going to win.

The best bit was Hearts goalkeeper making two world class saves in the last couple of minutes. I bet Celtic regret letting him go and come back to The Hearts.

The Gooners will always be my team but I did have a season ticket at Hearts for 12 years (?) before I moved to Thailand.

• Like 1