Football

Thinkingallowed

Former Fifa officials Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been charged with fraud and other offences in Switzerland.

Swiss prosecutors say Mr Blatter unlawfully arranged a transfer of two million Swiss francs ($2.19m; £1.6m) to Mr Platini in 2011.

Prosecutors say the payment "damaged Fifa's assets and unlawfully enriched Platini".

Mr Blatter and Mr Platini now face trial at a court in Bellinzona.

If found guilty of the charges, the pair could receive prison sentences of several years or fines.

The case was opened in September 2015 after Fifa, football's world governing body, was dogged by accusations of widespread corruption.

Fifa's ethics committee launched an investigation which saw both men banned from the game and forced to leave their positions.

The affair ended Mr Blatter's 17-year spell in charge of Fifa and Mr Platini's campaign to succeed his former mentor. 

A year later Mr Platini was forced to resign as president of Uefa, Europe's football governing body, after losing an appeal against his ban.

Both Mr Blatter, 85, and Mr Platini, 66, have denied any wrongdoing.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Former Fifa officials Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been charged with fraud and other offences in Switzerland.

Swiss prosecutors say Mr Blatter unlawfully arranged a transfer of two million Swiss francs ($2.19m; £1.6m) to Mr Platini in 2011.

Prosecutors say the payment "damaged Fifa's assets and unlawfully enriched Platini".

Mr Blatter and Mr Platini now face trial at a court in Bellinzona.

If found guilty of the charges, the pair could receive prison sentences of several years or fines.

The case was opened in September 2015 after Fifa, football's world governing body, was dogged by accusations of widespread corruption.

Fifa's ethics committee launched an investigation which saw both men banned from the game and forced to leave their positions.

The affair ended Mr Blatter's 17-year spell in charge of Fifa and Mr Platini's campaign to succeed his former mentor. 

A year later Mr Platini was forced to resign as president of Uefa, Europe's football governing body, after losing an appeal against his ban.

Both Mr Blatter, 85, and Mr Platini, 66, have denied any wrongdoing.

About time

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Fulham running riot at Blackburn .... 7-0 

Im a Rovers fan since god knows when. The worst home defeat in our 146 year old history. 

I had a peep at the Fulham forum before tonight's game and one poster suggested they will beat little Blackburn... Yes they did emphatically... f**k off Mowbray now. 

I'd like to remind that deluded Fulham fan that if they even have a trophy cabinet....... What's in it? 

Tourist support... Less than 300 up at Ewood tonight. 

Rant over. 

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

Im a Rovers fan since god knows when. The worst home defeat in our 146 year old history. 

I had a peep at the Fulham forum before tonight's game and one poster suggested they will beat little Blackburn... Yes they did emphatically... f**k off Mowbray now. 

I'd like to remind that deluded Fulham fan that if they even have a trophy cabinet....... What's in it? 

Tourist support... Less than 300 up at Ewood tonight. 

Rant over. 

A few seasons ago Foolham took 53 people to the Etihad one time. Were more stewards than fans in the stand. Fucking embarrassment of a club. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

"Farke off!!" will be the back page's headlines today!!

Yup, he gets his first win of the season and gets the sack!

Mourinho gets sacked week of the Carling Carabao Milk Cup .........(whatever the fecking thing is called these days) ..... Don Howe in charge at Newcastle ..... Giovanni Manyvowels in charge at Watford and so it goes on ......

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

At least Don Howe had experience in Europe unlike the other bloke!

He has to be a short term fix to give them time to find a more experienced manager.

Won't be long before that well known mercenary Ancelotti shows his interest.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

They love to sack a manager just before the international break ............... Villa should be a massive club IMHO.

Fat Frankie's name keeps cropping up ..... 

Warnock got sacked as well .......  so the merry go round goes on but somebody please put 

Ole Gunnar Bambi out of his misery he is well and truly a shite manager. Am I being unfair ??? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

They love to sack a manager just before the international break ............... Villa should be a massive club IMHO.

Fat Frankie's name keeps cropping up ..... 

Warnock got sacked as well .......  so the merry go round goes on but somebody please put 

Ole Gunnar Bambi out of his misery he is well and truly a shite manager. Am I being unfair ??? 

No, not unfair at all.

West Ham vs Liverpool kicked off 30 seconds ago.

I don't like the Hammers having pretensions of finishing above the Gooners.

On the other hand after Manure, Spurs and Leeds, Liverpool are next on my shite list.

Hammers just scored.

VAR check?

GOAL !!!!!!!! 🤣

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

No, not unfair at all.

West Ham vs Liverpool kicked off 30 seconds ago.

I don't like the Hammers having pretensions of finishing above the Gooners.

On the other hand after Manure, Spurs and Leeds, Liverpool are next on my shite list.

Hammers just scored.

VAR check?

GOAL !!!!!!!! 🤣

Still freezing your gonads off in Sturgeonland .......... get down to your childhood home ........ all opened up now.