Random Pictures. (Just add one photograph that you personally have taken).

john luke

6 hours ago, coxyhog said:

The first F-104 Starfighters had a downward firing ejection seat.Not a great idea as a lot of emergencies requiring ejection are on take off & landing.Eventually they saw the light & fitted conventional seats.

Probably not an ideal situation if one fired while on the tarmac...

They were terrible Aircraft apparently, the Germans managed to lose 116 pilots in them!.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Butch said:

Probably not an ideal situation if one fired while on the tarmac...

They were terrible Aircraft apparently, the Germans managed to lose 116 pilots in them!.

I never worked on them but the hatch underneath was good for us mechs for retrieving bits that were dropped in the cockpit.I once spent most of a day looking for a 1/4" nut that I dropped in a Phantom cockpit,mostly using a boroscope.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Yep that's a different angle,probably only take off their shoulders on egress.

By ejection seats I meant that by the time of the C-17 ejections seats were much advanced from the Victor so that if they could clear the T tail of forty years ago then they would have absolutely no trouble in doing so on the C-17.

No, it was never considered because of the tail, if they had decided to modify the flight deck they would have  ensured the people ejecting would clear.  Why are you even saying they would hit their shoulders when you know the plane wasn’t modified?  

1 hour ago, Butch said:

the Germans managed to lose 116 pilots in them!.

Amongst them Joachim von Hassel, who was son of the former minister president for Schleswig-Holstein and former German minister of defence.

I believe the canadians also lost a some pilots. Denmark lost 5 pilots.

The planes became a joke.

German joke: What is the easiest way to get an Starfighter? Buy a piece of land and wait

Danish joke: What is an optimist? A Starfighter pilot who quits smoking, because he scared of lung cancer.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, forqalso said:

No, it was never considered because of the tail, if they had decided to modify the flight deck they would have  ensured the people ejecting would clear.  Why are you even saying they would hit their shoulders when you know the plane wasn’t modified?  

It was never considered because it is a transport aircraft....no transport aircraft that I know of has ejection seats.

Maybe you know of some?

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

It was never considered because it is a transport aircraft....no transport aircraft that I know of has ejection seats.

Maybe you know of some?

We’ve been talking about T-1, the first C-17, that was the only C-17 built with the escape chute out the bottom of the aircraft.  It was a test aircraft. They opted for the escape chute over ejection seats because of the horizontal and vertical stabilizer.  Since it was a test aircraft it had a lot equipment unseen on the rest of the planes.D59E8881-6F28-411F-90EE-01EAF35E32F9.jpeg

8 minutes ago, forqalso said:

We’ve been talking about T-1, the first C-17, that was the only C-17 built with the escape chute out the bottom of the aircraft.  It was a test aircraft. They opted for the escape chute over ejection seats because of the horizontal and vertical stabilizer.  Since it was a test aircraft it had a lot equipment unseen on the rest of the planes.D59E8881-6F28-411F-90EE-01EAF35E32F9.jpeg

OK I'll take your word for it but the stabs have never been an obstacle over ejection seats before(& every aircraft has a vertical stab,some have high or low horizontal) or since and the hard roof(which is part of the pressure hull) of the flight deck certainly prohibits ejection seats on the aircraft in the picture.

Edited by coxyhog

9 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

OK I'll take your word for it but the stabs have never been an obstacle over ejection seats before(& every aircraft has a vertical stab,some have high or low horizontal) or since and the hard roof(which is part of the pressure hull) of the flight deck certainly prohibits ejection seats on the aircraft in the picture.

Wouldn’t the hole for the escape chute through the bottom of the aircraft be subject to the same pressurization?  

15 minutes ago, forqalso said:

Wouldn’t the hole for the escape chute through the bottom of the aircraft be subject to the same pressurization?  

Yes & it would have to be a pressure door,the same as every other door in the aircraft,very difficult to put the same thing above the pilots heads.By the way what parts of the aircraft did your friend design?....

Edited by coxyhog

16 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Yes & it would have to be a pressure door,the same as every other door in the aircraft,very difficult to put the same thing above the pilots heads.By the way what parts of the aircraft did your friend design?....

What friend? I’ve been talking about the engineer that told me why McDonnell Douglas opted for the escape chute, what part did you design?

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

northern harrier scoping out breakfast

20211127-IMG_9609.jpg

You've certainly got a variety of birds of prey in that area - all I see in my neighbourhood is mostly bald eagles, but that's because our city dump is only about 2km away as the raven flies, lol - they put up an electric fence years ago to keep out the bears but they can't stop the birds...

• Haha 1