Golf

Archie43

Great putt to clinch it. America technically had a chance, but once I saw 12-7 I knew it was over.

Im still pissed as hell over the referee’s BS decision,  it it didn’t even come close to influencing the championship……but it could have, and it’s still the silliest ruling I’ve ever seen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

Great putt to clinch it. America technically had a chance, but once I saw 12-7 I knew it was over.

Im still pissed as hell over the referee’s BS decision,  it it didn’t even come close to influencing the championship……but it could have, and it’s still the silliest ruling I’ve ever seen

Totally agree.

Great win for Europe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Closer than it looked…..Kang is losing by 3 with 3 to go, so Euros have 15 for sure, might be 15-13. Say what you will, the Euros pretty much won this on Day 1, which SHOULD have been 6-2

Whether it’s the Ryder or Solheim, never liked seeing a tie and “retaining the Cup”…..better to see an outright victory. But then how would a playoff be structured….I guess it is, the way it is

Edited by Golfingboy

11 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Closer than it looked…..Kang is losing by 3 with 3 to go, so Euros have 15 for sure, might be 15-13. Say what you will, the Euros pretty much won this on Day 1, which SHOULD have been 6-2

Whether it’s the Ryder or Solheim, never liked seeing a tie and “retaining the Cup”…..better to see an outright victory. But then how would a playoff be structured….I guess it is, the way it is

I agree, getting the win makes it that much sweeter.

TEAM USA picks have been finalized. Surprised Stricker left off “Captain America” Reed, we have to assume it was because he doesn’t seem to be fully healed from the COVID pneumonia. And I would have loved to see Mickelson, I mean he is 51 but won a major and his experience would be invaluable- the team’s average age is 28, that’s young

B9418E2B-1869-42F9-8636-E06AC1929AF0.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m watching the Golf Channel now,  and they are analyzing the captain’s picks, and snubs. They are saying Reed should have been picked, and I agree- he has been great in Ryder Cups, and was healthy enough to play last week and getting stronger. Kevin Na is left off again, this seems wrong to me too- Scheffler and Berger get picked, but not Kevin? Hate to say it, but one of the reasons the USA loses so much is politics, there is still some favouritism at play. I think Na being born in Korea….he will have to qualify automatically in the future, and his time is running out.

How did Larry Nelson never get to captain a team? 3 majors, 9-3-1 record as a player, after  serving in Vietnam and not picking up a club until he turned 21? Stricker with ZERO majors is the captain for this one- yes it’s in his home state, but still. How has Couples never been captain either? I feel the PGA who decides this, is much like the Oscars- very set in their ways

Europe is looking good for many years to come

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 2

Rose doesn't make the Ryder Cup team ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/58538585

Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia and Shane Lowry will play for Europe in this month's Ryder Cup against the United States after being named as wildcard picks by captain Padraig Harrington.

They join Jon Rahm, Tyrrell Hatton, Paul Casey, Matt Fitzpatrick, Tommy Fleetwood, Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood, Viktor Hovland and Bernd Wiesberger, who all qualified through the rankings.

"I am absolutely thrilled with my team, with all of our picks we have the strongest 10, 11 and 12 we've ever had," said Harrington.

Spaniard Garcia is the record points scorer in the biennial event with 25½ from nine previous appearances, while European talisman Poulter will be playing in his seventh Ryder Cup. Irishman Lowry, who won the 2019 Open Championship, is making his debut.

Poulter's inclusion means half of the 12-strong team are English and Harrington said of the 45-year-old: "He is undefeated in singles. He lifts himself, he lifts his partners, he lifts the team.

"I'm getting a player who is in probably the best form of his life. He consistently motivates people around him. That's so important to the team. I know I have players who are good enough to deliver and Poulter is at the heart of our team."

On Garcia, Harrington said he is "relying on him to be a team leader". 

"It's the passion he brings to the team. He enjoys mentoring the younger players. I've seen what he brings to the other players."

And on his fellow Irishman Lowry, Harrington said: "It was an easy pick.

"Shane is a big-time player. He delivers consistently under pressure. It was an easy pick. He definitely delivered for me and all the vice-captains. 

"We don't think of him as a rookie. He is one of our leading players."

• Surprised 2

@Stillearly Not so sure about Poulter over Rose, but great players will always be left off. Ian and Sergio just have such great records that current form is not such a huge factor. 

Was happy to see 🇹🇭Aphibarnrat almost win, his T2 moves him up over 300 spots in the world ranking. Had a really bad couple of years, was wondering what happened to him. 4 years ago he lost a quick 12kg, or more, don’t know if it helped him or not. 

I don’t know what kind of endorsement $ he receives, but I hope he puts some away for a rainy day. No way he’s making Rahm or Rory cash, and what he spends on shoes, watches, and cars(don’t forget the Thai duties) while not making much on the course lately…..makes me wonder. No doubt he is flashy and “gaining face”.  But the dude looks happy, and definitely knows how to have fun. Wifey speaks good English too, think she went to an American college

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watching the Champions Tour, they were showing 🇸🇪Robert Karlsson. Mentioning he was vice-captain the last 2 Ryder Cups, Lanny Wadkins goes on to say “yeah, him or Stenson might be the first, you know, Norwegians to become Ryder Cup captain”

Damn the States really has some ignorant rednecks on their broadcast crews

Anxious to see how the Norwegians fare on Friday

Just now, Golfingboy said:

Well done sir, I don’t see why the Yanks are favoured so heavily. Home advantage yes, but they still have to hit the shots

Great individuals in the US squad , I'm not surprised they are favourites  .... whether they can work as a team is yet to be seen ..

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Great individuals in the US squad , I'm not surprised they are favourites  .... whether they can work as a team is yet to be seen ..

Was watching Duval speak, he gets on my nerves much less than Azinger, who is so pro-American it’s not funny. Anyway, I believe I heard him say today, that it is the best American team ever assembled, they just have to execute. Not sure I heard right…..I mean Berger and Scheffler as captain’s picks, and you say that with a straight face? 

As I stated, I turned it on mid-broadcast and maybe I misunderstood ole David

Don't think he was referring to Team Europe, but when I look at them, not many weak points there, all superstars

And don’t forget, 4 players sit in the first 4 sessions. Wonder if anyone will sit out until singles…..don’t think so, it really backfired in 1999 for Europe. You have to get some reps before singles

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1