Golf

Archie43

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

People online were mentioning Van de Velde, but come on, it wasn’t that bad. But similar yes. I think this major taught the casual fan once and for all, it’s not over until that putt on the 75th drops.

Mito loves to shape his shots, and he admitted he never even considered the water hazard. I hate slow play, but this was a rare case of a PGA player not thinking enough. Then he should have at least assured himself a bogey.  490, downhill, he hits 3 iron, even if he misses the huge downslope, he’s dry and has 3-4 iron again. The thing is, he will learn from this, but you never know if this could have been his only chance at glory. At least he’s IN all 4 majors for the foreseeable future, that’s a plus. But what a sad moment for his mate Niemann, and all of Chile…..he truly had one palm on the trophy

I’ve never liked JT, but good on him for never giving up. Never saw so many guys who came so close, with so many huge errors down the stretch.Fitzpatrick  Young, Will, Rory, Mito……Maybe the 2006 US Open win by Ogilvy, where Phil, Monty, Paddy all gave it away, but the winner there was +5 and the rough was SO brutal

Corrected for you 😉 555

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2022 at 7:10 PM, Golfingboy said:

People online were mentioning Van de Velde, but come on, it wasn’t that bad. But similar yes. I think this major taught the casual fan once and for all, it’s not over until that putt on the 72nd drops.

Mito loves to shape his shots, and he admitted he never even considered the water hazard. I hate slow play, but this was a rare case of a PGA player not thinking enough. Then he should have at least assured himself a bogey.  490, downhill, he hits 3 iron, even if he misses the huge downslope, he’s dry and has 3-4 iron again. The thing is, he will learn from this, but you never know if this could have been his only chance at glory. At least he’s IN all 4 majors for the foreseeable future, that’s a plus. But what a sad moment for his mate Niemann, and all of Chile…..he truly had one palm on the trophy

I’ve never liked JT, but good on him for never giving up. Never saw so many guys who came so close, with so many huge errors down the stretch.Fitzpatrick  Young, Will, Rory, Mito……Maybe the 2006 US Open win by Ogilvy, where Phil, Monty, Paddy all gave it away, but the winner there was +5 and the rough was SO brutal

Yes - it was no Van der Velde that is for sure, but it was rash thinking to pull out the driver. As you said, he should have thought more about it.  3 wood, long iron, 2 putts - win.  The driver was only needed if he needed to make a birdie. But then the 2nd shot was also a bad decision - which is where the Van der Velde comes into it - bad decision after bad decision. He should have done what Zalatoris did - took a club that would never go long (which is dead on that hole) - he should have been going for a bogie to get in the playoff not trying to get close enough to have a putt for par.  And then the 3rd shot was also crap decision - out of heavy rough and downhill he plays for turn that was not there and goes long leaving an impossible fast downhill put/chip for a bogie which he left 'miles' short as he didnt want to go 20+ feet past.  He should have chipped towards the hole - he needed to just get it below the hole and have an uphill putt for bogie.   Every shot on that hole was a crap decision.  

Some players at the elite level have the ability to think clearly and correctly under pressure no matter what the situation - Nicklaus, Woods, Watson, immediately come to mind.  But most people do not have that ability and they need the advice of a very good caddie - Van der Velde desperately needed his caddie to break his driver, and if not then to at least jump in after he hit it and say stop - you only need a double bogie to win - stop!   Mito needed some advice, and he did not get the right advice - 3 times.  Rory often does that too. Norman was the same - he was unlucky a few times in Majors, but he threw away several - which Jack or Tiger or Tom would have won. 

• Like 2

@AussieBob About the advice, I never even thought about that aspect…..where in the f—k was his caddie for the drive and approach? Seems like either like too much of a yes man to his boss, or Mito doesn’t consult him often. Driver should have stayed in the bag, 3 wood too IMO…even if he misses the slope, he’s dry and has another 3 iron, at worse a playoff. I’m going to search online and see if the bagman is mentioned

The Yanks love their JT, but do you view this as a major where he made the most improbable comeback(0.4% on back 9) ever, or 5 guys had a better chance and couldn’t make a par when it counted? I go with the latter….

7 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBob About the advice, I never even thought about that aspect…..where in the f—k was his caddie for the drive and approach? Seems like either like too much of a yes man to his boss, or Mito doesn’t consult him often. Driver should have stayed in the bag, 3 wood too IMO…even if he misses the slope, he’s dry and has another 3 iron, at worse a playoff. I’m going to search online and see if the bagman is mentioned

The Yanks love their JT, but do you view this as a major where he made the most improbable comeback(0.4% on back 9) ever, or 5 guys had a better chance and couldn’t make a par when it counted? I go with the latter….

Yep - the Yanks love theirs at the exclusion of all others - I am so sick of their crap when talking about what college/school they played for - who gives a phark outside USA.  JT is a very negative type bloke - always scowling - but he is very good when he is in form - especially when the driver behaves.  He deserved to win - he was in the wrong side of the draw on both Thurs and Friday, but he scored well enough to give himself a chance over the weekend. But like you said, IMO he got there because the other guys were not mentally strong and fell away, rather than him performing great to make up that many strokes.  Reminds me of Gary Player's win where he finished early posting a very low score, and the weather turned and the rest of the field were blown away. JT played solid good golf - the others played like Rory did on Fri and Saturday - throwing shots away unnecessarily. 

Players these days are so immature - I have said it before about Rory too. They are still boys and they cry when they win. The problem with that is decision making - or should I say unclear emotional thinking. JT has learned to take the caddies advice and in Bones (ex Mickelson) he has a caddie who knows about getting an emotional player over the line.  IMO Bones told JT he did not need to shoot 62 and trying to do that was wrong - he would have said post 4-5 under and then it is up to the others to not fold over the last 4-5 holes - and fold they did. 

As an example of the immaturity of the modern player's thinking. Zalatoris did real good and was 'strong' but his last shot on the last hole was a shocker. He was in the fringe about a foot away from the green and had to make it or the championship was JT's.  When he took out his putter I started screaming at the TV - "WTF - No No No - You HAVE to make this Will - he aint gonna 3 putt - chip it - who gives a rats arse if it goes 20 feet past". The wife knew too - she said putting from the fringe is the 'safe' play and not a good idea.  Chipping would take out the bumps but risk going long - but it was the play.  And sure enough the ball bounced and bobbled when he putted and missed by a mile - a chip over the fringe was the ONLY shot.  Bad thinking to putt.

Mate - I know all about it. I sat up all night for 3 days (took leave from work) watching to see Norman finally win the Masters.  He was still 6 shots in front after 7 holes - and then he 'melted down'.  It was sickening to watch - he was completely screwed and made bad decision after bad decision. I can remember when he was once standing over a shot ready to fire and he didnt move - someone timed it and it was over 20 seconds I believe - and of course the shot was bad.  What I did admire about Norman was how well he took it and got over it - but that was the end for Norman's golf career - he won a couple of events and made a few good appearances but he was never the same again. In fact he started to focus even more on his businesses after that - good call. Mental strength is more important than ability - Gary Player and Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus.

Another thing about the 1996 Masters stands out too.  Tiger missed the cut that year and then in 1997 he won by 12 strokes. Very interesting - at the time I was dubious about how one gets that good so quickly - still am. 

Almost never watch the Champions Tour, but NBC has it on early today. Rodney Pampling just made a triple bogey, after putting for EAGLE! Basically pin was way left on a hill, his 2nd shot settled 70 feet away, and 8 feet lower. First putt ran up the slope, and rolled back BEHIND him to the rough. He flopped one short, same result. Then ensured he wasn’t short and got to proper level, through to other fringe. 3 putt, 8…..

Looks like a great course, but what a huge slope on that green. Weir, Ames, Langer, McCarron all near the top

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Almost never watch the Champions Tour, but NBC has it on early today. Rodney Pampling just made a triple bogey, after putting for EAGLE! Basically pin was way left on a hill, his 2nd shot settled 70 feet away, and 8 feet lower. First putt ran up the slope, and rolled back BEHIND him to the rough. He flopped one short, same result. Then ensured he wasn’t short and got to proper level, through to other fringe. 3 putt, 8…..

Looks like a great course, but what a huge slope on that green. Weir, Ames, Langer, McCarron all near the top

Because the players strength and their equipment, especially the ball, have made the golf courses obsolete for today's  professionals, in order to 'defend' the courses, they are now making greens and rough very hard to deal with.  But that sounds like it is a step too far - but then again why not - unless they continue to counter the enormous distances they are hitting it, golf will become even more a game of power over skill.    

I can remember many years ago Jack Nicklaus complaining about how in his 60s he was hitting it farther than when he was at his prime. He made the point that he was hitting it a bit further when he won his last Masters, but at the time he liked that because it kept him in the game.  But he said the modern equipment and ball since the 90s, and now the player's strength, is hitting the ball way too far to easily and too straight.  It is bad enough they can dive it over 350 yards, but the real problem is that they can hit a 4 iron 250 yards (straight), a 6 iron 200 yards, and a wedge 150 yards (high and straight).  On a 450 yard Par 4, they are hitting 3 wood and a wedge. Jack said it many years ago - and he stated that he knew the players and the industry (selling gear is worth $billions) will not like it - but he said the game was at risk of being dominated by Linebackers. Take a look at the modern players and he was right - many of them are all power and not a lot of skill - it should be the other way around.  Back in the day it was all about the skill and power was a bonus - it is now completely the other way around.  Luke Donald. 

Bryson forced the PGA to do something - besides making golf courses longer and harder.  The R&A is currently conducting an investigation into the issues of strength and length, in terms of rules changes about equipment and techniques (I have contributed my bit). What I hope and do expect to see come out of that is a massive crackdown on putting - both the equipment, technique (hands only) and caddie assistance. Plus I expect to see the ball used by Pros severely changed - minimum spin rates and maximum carry distances using the robot tester. Plus rI hope and expect that the PGA will have regular random (and severely enforced) testing of player's equipment and balls after a round, together with random drug testing of all players. 

When and only when that sort of thing is done, will players with the skills dominate the game again.  Many of the old Pros could hit the ball over 300 yards - but it was a massive risk as the ball could easily fly way right/left - and they could not do it all the time as their bodies were not fit/strong enough.  When Pro golf players are spending more time working on fitness and strength than on their game, then it is obvious the game has gone too far in the wrong direction. I dont blame the players - they are doing what they have to do to compete and make a living.  Bryson showed them exactly what the problem was - Johnson and Koepka had showed them already that the problem was there - but Bryson shoved it so far down their throats they could not longer ignore it.  

• Great Info 1

Tough Sunday in Texas, par is a good score. Varner III losing by 4, but only because he dropped 5 the last 2 holes. I think he will win one soon, and the floodgates will open. And the endorsements will fly in….

4053463C-BB8C-4961-A345-EA262AC024EF.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Surprised 1

15 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Tough Sunday in Texas, par is a good score. Varner III losing by 4, but only because he dropped 5 the last 2 holes. I think he will win one soon, and the floodgates will open. And the endorsements will fly in….

4053463C-BB8C-4961-A345-EA262AC024EF.jpeg

FC18383A-6B3B-4570-8295-828A1CE7136D.jpeg

• Like 1

I was always a fan of DJ, but choosing to play the first Saudi event, instead of the Canadian Open, which is sponsored by HIS sponsor RBC…..No other way to spin this, he took some guaranteed cash over his legacy/reputation. Very disappointing 

You have to wonder where this leaves him, Phil, others who jump ship…..and the whole future of the Tour. I’ve always agreed they are free agent contractors who should be able to do what they want, but the LIV Tour is just something I can’t get behind

• Thumbs Up 1

First bucket of the year for Canada’s ugliest swing. Very sore rib cage today

The video gives great feedback, but it’s obvious I must lose even more weight and improve flexibility. Won’t be hitting it far with that length backswing…..

Its still good to know that I can probably shoot 85-90 with minimal practice. Like lifting weights, once you’ve achieved something, you never truly lose it

Edited by Golfingboy

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I was always a fan of DJ, but choosing to play the first Saudi event, instead of the Canadian Open, which is sponsored by HIS sponsor RBC…..No other way to spin this, he took some guaranteed cash over his legacy/reputation. Very disappointing 

You have to wonder where this leaves him, Phil, others who jump ship…..and the whole future of the Tour. I’ve always agreed they are free agent contractors who should be able to do what they want, but the LIV Tour is just something I can’t get behind

I hear you, but it all reminds me of what happened when both the cricket and the rugby league 'empires' were challenged by the senior players seeking more lucrative contracts and payments.  The existing authorities attacked both the players who they saw as traitors, and the organisations putting up the money, but in the end the empires collapsed and had to give in.  I think it is about time the authorities controlling golf were taken down - they are all about their own empire and no matter what they say, they are not about the benefit of the game and the elite players.  Guaranteed purses, much higher winning payments, and the freedom to play where and when they want - that is what is on offer for the elite players - and they will get what they want in the end if they stand up for themselves. Anything that takes the extreme control and power away from the PGA is a good thing IMO.  

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you, but it all reminds me of what happened when both the cricket and the rugby league 'empires' were challenged by the senior players seeking more lucrative contracts and payments.  The existing authorities attacked both the players who they saw as traitors, and the organisations putting up the money, but in the end the empires collapsed and had to give in.  I think it is about time the authorities controlling golf were taken down - they are all about their own empire and no matter what they say, they are not about the benefit of the game and the elite players.  Guaranteed purses, much higher winning payments, and the freedom to play where and when they want - that is what is on offer for the elite players - and they will get what they want in the end if they stand up for themselves. Anything that takes the extreme control and power away from the PGA is a good thing IMO.  

I hear you too Bob, but the Saudi thing is not the answer. Would you tune in if it’s on TV? I wouldn’t, not now anyway. But I’ve read comments on a few videos today, and it seems the PGA can’t just issues penalties, bans, and threats….They are independent contractors, and a court would never side with the Tour. I’m hearing as much as $130M for DJ, well it’s not the single tournament “few bucks” I was imagining….Don’t blame him one bit. Turning 38, he took a lump sum and even with RBC terminating him, he’s a wealthy man. One commenter mentioned Anthony Kim…..he accepted $20M+ from insurance to never play again, could have easily made $100M+ in his lifetime, but the guaranteed loot is very attractive, when performance doesn’t matter. 

28 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I hear you too Bob, but the Saudi thing is not the answer. Would you tune in if it’s on TV? I wouldn’t, not now anyway. But I’ve read comments on a few videos today, and it seems the PGA can’t just issues penalties, bans, and threats….They are independent contractors, and a court would never side with the Tour. I’m hearing as much as $130M for DJ, well it’s not the single tournament “few bucks” I was imagining….Don’t blame him one bit. Turning 38, he took a lump sum and even with RBC terminating him, he’s a wealthy man. One commenter mentioned Anthony Kim…..he accepted $20M+ from insurance to never play again, could have easily made $100M+ in his lifetime, but the guaranteed loot is very attractive, when performance doesn’t matter. 

Maybe not Saudi - but I will refrain from comparing atrocities committed by any country - USA included.  Saudi saw he opportunity and decided to act - that opportunity should not have existed - the elite players have been unhappy for decades - even talking about it like Norman did got you offside.  And yes I would and do watch it. 

There are many issues/complications, but one of them is 'guaranteed salary'. If I was an elite player (top 50) I would not be too happy to 'work' for 2 days and get zero if I am going through a bad patch (form, injury, bad draw, etc).  The solution was raised by Norman decades ago - a elite level Tour with guaranteed money and events worldwide. The Majors would be part of it - the PGA has rejected this or anything like it time and time again - all the other Tours were forced to comply. Rolex has put big money into the ET - but they are not getting the top US players all the time because the PGA and their sponsors 'discourage' their players from playing. The PGA does not care if the ET dies or if the Asian Tour does not grow - in fact they want that - they want themselves to be the World Tour. 

Change is coming - it is inevitable. If not this time - then maybe the next time.  But it will happen.

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

There are many issues/complications, but one of them is 'guaranteed salary'. If I was an elite player (top 50) I would not be too happy to 'work' for 2 days and get zero if I am going through a bad patch (form, injury, bad draw, etc).  The solution was raised by Norman decades ago - a elite level Tour with guaranteed money and events worldwide. The Majors would be part of it - the PGA has rejected this or anything like it time and time again - all the other Tours were forced to comply. Rolex has put big money into the ET - but they are not getting the top US players all the time because the PGA and their sponsors 'discourage' their players from playing. The PGA does not care if the ET dies or if the Asian Tour does not grow - in fact they want that - they want themselves to be the World Tour. 

Change is coming - it is inevitable. If not this time - then maybe the next time.  But it will happen.

The part about not making a dime for a missed cut, well, that’s always been a part of the game that makes it unique. And for those outside of the top 75-100 in the world, purses are probably the main part of their income, although don’t quote me exactly on what level a pro is at where they make 50/50 or worse, ZERO endorsements. It changes every year, but my point is the the endorsement machines don’t care about a MC….but the guys that DO need the purse money from high finishes, are probably not the players the viewers tune in to watch. 

So yes I agree the PGA should not have a monopoly, and it is a shame all the Euros are expected to compete in America, but not vice-versa. I think Daly once won the BMW, and Tiger would only go for huge appearance $, but it’s rare a top PGA guy heads over except for the Open. What I’m trying to say is if all the top talent gets too spread around, won’t that mean less action for the fans, both TV and at the venue in person? Maybe the majors will now be the only time we get strong fields. Anyway, much remains to be seen, and the PGA Tour, even though it’s greedy, makes money, whereas I don’t know how long the Saudi thing can print dollars to honour those guaranteed payments

What do you think of my swing Bob, I know you’re dying to critique it……

17 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

RBC has terminated contract 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, Golfingboy said:

The part about not making a dime for a missed cut, well, that’s always been a part of the game that makes it unique. And for those outside of the top 75-100 in the world, purses are probably the main part of their income, although don’t quote me exactly on what level a pro is at where they make 50/50 or worse, ZERO endorsements. It changes every year, but my point is the the endorsement machines don’t care about a MC….but the guys that DO need the purse money from high finishes, are probably not the players the viewers tune in to watch. 

So yes I agree the PGA should not have a monopoly, and it is a shame all the Euros are expected to compete in America, but not vice-versa. I think Daly once won the BMW, and Tiger would only go for huge appearance $, but it’s rare a top PGA guy heads over except for the Open. What I’m trying to say is if all the top talent gets too spread around, won’t that mean less action for the fans, both TV and at the venue in person? Maybe the majors will now be the only time we get strong fields. Anyway, much remains to be seen, and the PGA Tour, even though it’s greedy, makes money, whereas I don’t know how long the Saudi thing can print dollars to honour those guaranteed payments

What do you think of my swing Bob, I know you’re dying to critique it……

Firstly - I cannot see the video mate - error message 'page not found' (too big?)

The thing about MC and no money needs to be addressed.  Years ago the best cricketers in the world got good money when they won and SFA if they lost - now they are all on contracts endorsements etc.  Times change and golf needs to move that way.  IMO the PGA and all Tours should pay a minimum contract to all players per event played - not enough to get by comfortably - but enough to feed themselves and their caddies. 

Regarding the audience/market - people at the events are irrelevant - the money is in the broadcasting - the audience and market is at home.  Going to see the best players in the world should be available to all audiences - at the moment it is 95+% available to Yanks - SFA for the rest of us.  The PGA is holding on to control in USA as if it was a sport like NFL, NBA, NHL - but it aint a sport that has an audience that is dominated by the Yanks. I understand how the Yanks think - they dont follow football and other sports where they are not 'worlds best' and where it is not an integral part of their college sports (which is massive in USA). But golf is not like that - it is a global game and there are far more players and audience outside USA than inside. If the PGA does not compromise, when means their benefactors and sponsors, then they will be taken over. The ONLY reason Rory and the others play in USA is because of the prize money. But the USA is getting richer and richer, and the rest of the world is struggling and losing all its players.  A few years ago Rory was going to withdraw from the ET - so they compromised to allow him and all the others to only play a few events in order to qualify for the DP World Tour big money events. Now the  people and sponsors in Europe rarely see any of them. I rarely watch the ET anymore - not interested in seeing the second tier players.

Look at the Aust/Asian Tour in Norman's day - we had big money events - now we are a backwater, with the occasional Aussie like Cam and Scotty coming back once a year. Same story all over the world - the PGA has sucked up all the best players and most of the sponsors - if Rolex quits the ET they are screwed.  The PGA is great for US golf - but it is killing world golf and has been doing that for decades.

PS - I will for a few days not be active in the golf forum much - ladies US Open and then men's soon - we play 2 days a week and then we watch each day of the big events on replay/catch-up  - prefer not to know who won. It is great to be able to skip ahead over the ads while watching it live on replay - we do the same for all sports. We also watched the MotoGP at Mugello last night and we might watch the FA Cup tonight.  

Wow, at the beginning of CBS’ coverage they pointed out a glaring stat: 

The average age of today’s top 10 in the world is only 27.4 years, at the start of 2005 it was 34.2. Amazing IMO

Better coaching at a younger age, nutrition, psychology, but obviously distance must be THE factor. Everyone is hitting it farther, but the youngsters can really move it out there and usually haven’t been injured yet from pushing too hard

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just found out Bart Bryant died in a car crash near Orlando this week. He was 59. Won the Memorial & Tour Championship in 2005, beating Tiger by 6, his biggest margin as a runner-up. Poor guy stopped for a construction flagger, and a pickup rear ended him. His wife survived 

31565453-A28B-407C-913A-9A82F4535A59.jpeg

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Another disturbing stat……we all know how far the the real bombers hit it, but had no idea you had to AVERAGE 3 bills to crack the Top 100 these days

804ABDC1-CC29-4EDD-ABE5-26904F3DA39A.jpeg

You are dead right - and it is very disturbing.  Something must be done soon or the Torus will all be dominated by huge men like Schaffle and Keopka and DeChambau  (linebackers).  

That is why I watch the LPGA more than the PGA - they have to play with skill and no amount of weightlifting or drugs is gonna give them a huge advantage. Sure they aint as good as the guys - but I bet if you took the top 50 in both tours and made them play 18 very difficult Par3 holes up to 180 yards then the LPGA players would hold their own. Inbee Park is the best putter of all time - over her whole career she makes about 60% of her putts from 10 to 15 feet. To put that in context, the LPGA and PGA Tours overall averages are about 30%.  

Minjee Lee wins US Open and $2.5m (AUD) in the biggest single payday in women’s golf. 

Aussie  Aussie  Aussie  - Oi  Oi  Oi  !!!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/golf/minjee-lee-wins-the-us-open-and-25-million-in-the-biggest-single-payday-in-womens-golf/news-story/1261a610dde716c8ffdd342a29596f1e

Watched all of the last round today and it was great to see Minjee bring it home.  She started well and then stumbled, but then got it back together to close it out. The course was a lot tougher for day 4 (extremely hard) and only 2 players scored under Par for the round, with every player getting at least 2 bogies. Minjee scored Par in the end - 4 birdies and 4 bogies. It was the biggest ever winning purse is women's golf, and it shows how popular the women's game has become over the last 5 years.  

Dustin Johnson resigns from PGA , see Poulter and GMac are also moving to the Saudi tour.... bet they aren't been paid as much as DJ .. but it's guaranteed cash for the also rans .. their joint interview was funny 555

Edited by Stillearly

38 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Dustin Johnson resigns from PGA , see Poulter and GMac are also moving to the Saudi tour.... bet they aren't been paid as much as DJ .. but it's guaranteed cash for the also rans .. their joint interview was funny 555

Tiger reportedly turned down just shy of $1B……basically would have doubled his net worth for crossing the line. Impressive IMO

But we are a long way from seeing the impact of all this. Do the Saudis have deep enough pockets to just throw billions at these players? Will the PGA just permanently expel all the defectors(not that it matters to those aged 40+ anyway)? Will LIV become THE dominant force & attract kids coming out of college? Will the majors include all the same players as last year and be just as important? When you hear DJ got $130M, is that 100% upfront, how many years must he commit, could he be screwed if LIV goes tits-up? 

A lot remains to be seen, I for one am surprised it got off the ground and is a “real thing”. For the longest while thought it was all talk and would be easily squashed by PGA Tour before the first tournament teed off